A Big Ole Bullhead!

Dave_W

Dave_W

Staff member
I've been playing around with some variations on some of my themes lately.

I like large streamers and decided to throw together a bullhead pattern. Bullheads don't seem to have many flies named for them or that are intended to imitate them, the Troth Bullhead is the only pattern I can think of off the top of my mind.

Bullheads are often very numerous in PA waters, sometimes the most numerous species, and big predators certainly like 'em. Guys that target flatheads often feel that a live bullhead is just about the best bait for the big catties.

Anyway, this guy is about 6" in length and is built with a double hook system and a tungsten bead on an under-loop. I'm looking forward to throwing this big meat on some rivers this summer.

Here it is in action...

Awesome tie!! It looks really clean in the water too

What.....no recipe?

Steeltrap wrote:
What.....no recipe?

Brown and Yellow Bullheads tend to be very dark over the back, typically dark brown with a range of yellow and olive flanks that are often flecked or mottled; belly ranges from muddy white to yellow tones and I sought to replicate these attributes. For the most part, this fly is an upscaled version of the stonecat I have long used, the main difference is it is a hook double.

For this fly:

-Hooks are roughly 1/0 plastic worm hooks with forward hook using a modified eye. Hooks are joined by a 50lb mono loop and 3 beads.

-The rear section is trimmed hackle wing with mottled coloration by magic marker and an over-wing of synthetic hair.

-Body is tan chenille with tan marabou under-wing and synthetic hair over-wing (dark brown)

-Head is a custom design of mine; whiskers are rubber band; eyes are painted acrylic dots; pectoral and dorsal fins are trimmed hackle.

-Note the keel style under-loop under the head, it's visible in this pic. It has a large tungsten bead painted tan. Since I like my streamers to ride hook upward, a keel weight style works very well.

Attachments

• BH87.JPG
    BH87.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 6
VERY cool - great under water action shot as well!

Back