95 second pheasant tail

180px-BandAid.jpg

And the point of this is??

Just FYI. I found the video on another site and I posted it to share with the tiers on this site. I marvel at the speed and efficiency of his tying. Notice that there are no wasted motions, and how few wraps he uses at each stage of the fly. You’re a pro Sandfly, and I’m sure this video is like looking in the mirror, but many of us, both beginners and advanced tiers, can learn a lot from his technique.

BTW, Charlie Craven has a site with complete tutorials and patterns to tie many fly patterns.

Charlie's Fly Box

Not for nothing, but those of us who don't tie day in and day out, (Bob), probably found two of the things he did quite interesting and helpful.

Tying in the copper halfway through the wrap-down (takes the "slipping out of place thing out of play), and the way he tied in the hurl (eliminates the step of trimming).

Well actually three things. I usually use some partridge for the legs. Using the pheasant tail sure does simplify it and most likely with the same results.

Glad I watched.

Dale

Personally, I thought it was pretty slick and I've been tying since the winter after John Kennedy was shot. Not that that means much of anything, because I didn't say how well I've been tying. Not all that well, to be truthful...

Anyway, the interesting thing to me is that Craven doesn't seem to really be pushing for speed, or at least not all that hard. There are several 4-7 second lapses I'm all but certain he could cut in half if he wanted to, meaning that if he chose, it might actually be a 70 second PT.

And that's pretty blinkin' quick, IMO...

That's pretty much the method I use. His looks better than mine though, and he did it twice as fast.

Neat video.

If only I could tie that fast

Oh sure pick on the pro !!lol Now I want you all to remember this lesson and when you come up (dale) you have to demostrate it for me...you will be graded... :-D :-D

the parachute adams by the same tyer on you tube is interesting too.

Time wise the man wasn't pushing it, Just using good basic tying tecniques. Pulling the peacok herl so you don't have to trim it is something you should do with a lot of things, floss tinsels. After a while you just do those kind of steps with out even thinking about them. Speed come's over time. But if you really want to get a finished fly quick just whip out a couple bucks and buy it. :-D Speed was never something I cared about, takes all the fun out of tying.

Not to take away from what he can accomplish in 95 seconds (or possibly faster if he were to turn up the heat). But, notice how he had things preped to make tying easier. For instance, the peacock was alligned by precutting and the pheasant was already cut off. Most of the time in tying is preping your materials. Commercial tiers prep materials to tie dozens of flies without getting the peacock back out of the package (this is the amazing part of commercial tying).

I don't tie commercially but I almost always have my materials pre-selected and ready to go. If I'm tying a dozen buggers for instance, there is nothing on my mat but beads, hooks ( I keep them on a fridge magnet), chenille, hackle (12 already sized and plucked from the cape) and marabou (those I pull off the strung pack one at a time to keep the cat at bay)...head cement and tools are off to the right...If I'm using tinsel or wire for a rib, its on a bobbin...I learned that by spending 5 minutes to get the things together to tie a dozen flies, I can save a good 10-15 minutes on a even a dozen flies.

Seeing the video inspired me to try a few. One thing I noticed is that the fibers on my pheasent tail seemed too short. In the video he has plenty to work with. Do they sell jumbo pt feathers?

Redhot,
The longest fisbers come from the main feather from a male pheasant.
The fibers of other freathers are small and thin compared to teh main freather.
If you buy single feathers, really take the time to look over the store's supply before you by. Buy the longest feather with the thickest barbs.

I was telling my Tying instructor about it today. he laughted at me and did it in 61 Seconds. with out breakin a sweat. He was takin his time, i Know he can do it faster. it is just amazing how smooth and efficent they can tie the professinals that is.

Back