8wt combo question

daman1277

daman1277

I have fished with anything bigger than a 5wt. Seeing as how I am still relatively new to fly fishing. But decided I want something for salmon, steelhead and toothy critters if I get the chance. So in looking for one I saw Cabela's has their 8wt Cahill rod and reel combo on sale. Was wondering if this is worthwhile getting to use for the application I want or should I get something different. I can always get a different reel for it I know.

daman1277 wrote:
I have fished with anything bigger than a 5wt. Seeing as how I am still relatively new to fly fishing. But decided I want something for salmon, steelhead and toothy critters if I get the chance. So in looking for one I saw Cabela's has their 8wt Cahill rod and reel combo on sale. Was wondering if this is worthwhile getting to use for the application I want or should I get something different. I can always get a different reel for it I know.

I looked up the outfit you mentioned above and don't think an 8 wt rod, reel and line for $39.99 is going to be of much use for salmon, steelhead or muskie.

Check on the swap section on here and maybe go to ebay. You can usually find a decent quality used setup for a fair price that will hold up to the kind of fishing you plan to do.

I'm also looking at a redington 9' 9wt pursuit combo for sale on here. But the Cahill price is great.

The rod is actually decent for the money, but the reel wont stand up to those fish. Maybe once. It would be a good way to check it out and then upgrade the reel if you decide you like it. just my .02

Buy the Redington outfit that is listed here. The deal says everything you need...line etc. I think you will be in much better off trying to handle a salmon with a 9 wt. and if you are going to travel that far you might as well have a decent outfit.
my 2 cts

Bill A

Two Fridays ago, I was at the Salmon River with my Orvis 8wt ClearwaterII. One battle was almost 1/2 hour long. I thought that I was tiring the fish out....It was the other way around. The fish got it's second wind before I did and it was gone. The 9wt will hold up better for sure.

The rod will do just fine but the reel will only last for so long. The combo is worth the $39.99. Seeing that you're in Quakertown, I've got some 8wts you can try out. I am headed to the SR this weekend but I am available during the evenings this week and all next week.

I can vouch for the redington combo, I went to get line and a reel and left the place with an 8wt combo, lifetime warranty on the pole, and so far the reel has lasted me well for the 4 months I have had it. I use the reel and line on three poles, and fish it at least 3 times a week. Can't say on durability against Steele or salmon, but I have caught a bunch of carp and it will slow them to a stop with ease...

For $180 with a lifetime warranty even new it's a deal, an the price on here, jump on that ASAP!

Think I will be getting the 9 wt on here

try casting a 9 wt before making that decision. How many fish will you catch that you need the extra power over even a 7wt. On the other hand, how many times are you going to cast that rod to catch that unusually rare fish.
I'd take jrmyln up on his offer to try the 8wts.

I fish around here on a spinning combo for musky and I go up every winter every weekend from say Labour day till April to NY for salmon steelhead and big brown trout and some summer trips to the St Lawrence river for musky and I want to do it on the fly as well.

I have to respond to the "if I get a chance"..in Fly fishing location is one of the most important things to consider. If your fly rod stays home and only catches dust, then having that extra rod will not do you any good. Always buy with the plan of attack in mind. My 8wt accompanies me 95% of the time when I take my boat out on the lake. I like fishing the lillies and need something to.... well you get the picture. now I have found a new use for it in fighting the might Salmon River monsters that roam. Heading up there this weekend for my second migration.

Back