8’6” 4 wt 2 piece rod in the $100 range

S

springer1

Hi all, I’m looking for some comments or experience some of you might have on a 8’6” 4 wt 2 piece rod in the $100 range

The ones I have found are

Echo Solo (3 piece)
Okuma Guide Select
TFO Lefty Kreh Signature Series

Any thoughts oe advice?

Thanks!

I had that TFO, and it wasn't bad but it just didn't call to me. I ended up taking it back. There's another thread on this site, I think by McFinn, extolling the virtues of it.

FWIW, I would be hard pressed to try a Redington CT. It is higher than your $100 range (IIRC, $130), but people who've tried them truly seem to apprechiate them.

Dear springer,

Based on your criteria of 8' 6" long for a 4 weight line I really can't recommend anything specific based on my experience. There seem to be more choices in your price range if you step down to 8' or up to 9'.

Having said that I do own two Redington rods, an 8' 4 piece 3 weight and a 7' 6" 4 piece 4 weight. One is a CLS and the other a Red Start. I am very happy with both of the Redingtons as far as casting and fishability is concerned.

My only complaint is that the 7' 6" rod has a rather long up locking reel seat and occasionally I wind up tangling the line around the butt of the rod while fishing. It's a minor complaint and more a function of sloppy line handling on my part than a defect with the rod. I do wish more rods were offered with downlocking reel seats though, but that is probably just me?

Both Redingtons were purchased at Cabela's from a large tub of rods marked 50% off, and neither cost more than your budgeted amount.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I can't make a recommendation on a specific rod because I haven't fished a rod of that size and price range. but have you considered looking for a lightly used rod? You could get a better rod for your money, and buying it used will move up to the very good rod category.

Remember you really want to try before you buy, lots of people will make recommendations based on their preferences, but just because we like them doesn't mean you will. I realize in re-reading my post, it was poorly written. I meant to suggest you try it out not buy it. It may not be what you want at all.

FWIW, the TFO I had replaced an 8' 4wt Cabela's LST, and was replaced by a Versitex 8' 4wt. That rod stuck around, and is still one of my favourites.

Springer, I sent you a PM.

Well, I tryed several of them, but also tried an Orvis Clearwater .... there's a big difference in what the extra $60 buys, I got the Orvis. Thank you all for your help.

I just got a greys x-flite on a steal of a deal in a 8'6" 4wt (4pc). Not sure if it comes in a 2 piece. Landed it for around 120 including shipping. It is a SWEET dry fly rod. I unfortunately haven't caught a fish on it yet. It casts great, and is light as a feather. Check around the net for some deals. You won't be disappointed.

Springer1, I, too, have an Orvis Clearwater, 8'6" 4 wt and really like the action of the rod. I think that rod will treat you well. Good fishing.

Back