7 Weeks of Dry Flies

R

rrt

From Sept. 22 through Veterans Day, I did not have to fish with nymphs even one time. I once described another method of trout fishing as "mind numbing"; I sometimes find nymph fishing to be mind numbing, too, even though it is probably fly fishing's most effective technique and is the method I use most often. However, I find dry-fly fishing fascinating, and I was able to use dry flies for seven weeks without even thinking of drowning nymphs. I was particularly happy with their effectiveness on larger streams that others were saying were too low to fish. Not with dries. I had to tune up my rusty dry-fly casting to be successful on these adventures; you can't just plop a dry out there as you often do with a nymph. Though I am not a great caster, I do think casting dry flies is artful when practiced by good flycasters. My casting improved as the autumn advanced.

I also enjoy seeing trout that are not rising on their own come up and sip a dry fly or slash at one. I often miss these fish because I strike too soon when I see them coming up.

But, the 7 weeks of autumn dry-fly fishing were wonderful. I think fishing with dry flies is the pinnacle for fly-fishermen and is reflective of fly-fishing's developmental past. Though I will return to nymphing for my winter forays, 2022's fall dry-fly fishing provided me with numerous exciting adventures.

I'll turn 73 if I make it to Christmas. I hope I have a few more good years left to get in on the dry-fly fishing that can be had during the autumn.

nice write up rrt. i noted 10/22/22 down because i had one of my best dry fly days all year. it was non stop action on small caddis flys. it was a great day to say the least. one i will remember. tight lines, and enjoy your holiday season (y)

It has been a beautiful fall.
At least until the heavy rains Friday and Saturday blew out most of the streams.
And now below normal temps - and some snow - are forecast for at least the next week or so.
Glad you were able to get out and enjoy it.

As I mentioned in another thread, I had surgery on Sept 23, that laid me up during what is one of my favorite times of year
Not being able to do anything strenuous for 6 weeks was pretty frustrating.

But I was able to take some fall rides with the little lady.
And perhaps gained a deeper appreciation for just getting out, and seeing the autumn foliage.

I was finally able to break a rod out again during the first week of this month.
Although I'm still not quite ready to go to my usual areas, that are kinda hard to reach and fish
But managed to find some decent surface activity, at several easily accessable spots.
And will head into the long cold winter, with a few nice late season memories.

Great post and much respect for getting out there at your age! Keep it up it is great to hear you did so well!

A great post. I am also a big fan of dry fly fishing. One year my brother kept track and he was able to catch at least one trout every month on a dry fly. In winter he had found some places where midges hatched and caught some there.

From Sept. 22 through Veterans Day, I did not have to fish with nymphs even one time. I once described another method of trout fishing as "mind numbing"; I sometimes find nymph fishing to be mind numbing, too, even though it is probably fly fishing's most effective technique and is the method I use most often. However, I find dry-fly fishing fascinating, and I was able to use dry flies for seven weeks without even thinking of drowning nymphs. I was particularly happy with their effectiveness on larger streams that others were saying were too low to fish. Not with dries. I had to tune up my rusty dry-fly casting to be successful on these adventures; you can't just plop a dry out there as you often do with a nymph. Though I am not a great caster, I do think casting dry flies is artful when practiced by good flycasters. My casting improved as the autumn advanced.

I also enjoy seeing trout that are not rising on their own come up and sip a dry fly or slash at one. I often miss these fish because I strike too soon when I see them coming up.

But, the 7 weeks of autumn dry-fly fishing were wonderful. I think fishing with dry flies is the pinnacle for fly-fishermen and is reflective of fly-fishing's developmental past. Though I will return to nymphing for my winter forays, 2022's fall dry-fly fishing provided me with numerous exciting adventures.

I'll turn 73 if I make it to Christmas. I hope I have a few more good years left to get in on the dry-fly fishing that can be had during the autumn.
I turn 73 next March. Wanna meet up and I’ll buy my older friend a beverage of his choice?

Back