7' Phillipson Rod Blank

tjsingle

tjsingle

Hey everyone,

I inherited a Phillipson C702 7' rod blank 5wt or 6wt line, that only has a grip, and a reel seat on it. What would be the cost to have it built out?

Thanks,
Tom

The going rate would typically be between $5 and $12 per wrap. So depending on how fancy you wanted, what style of guides and the builder it could be anywhere from $45 to $150.

MKern wrote:
The going rate would typically be between $5 and $12 per wrap. So depending on how fancy you wanted, what style of guides and the builder it could be anywhere from $45 to $150.

Yeah that makes sense, thats pretty reasonable. Looks like I'll have to find someone who can build it for me!

Try doing it yourself - not hard at all ! PM sent.

Do it yourself and should only cost you $5 for the whole thing.

bassistjon112 wrote:
Do it yourself and should only cost you $5 for the whole thing.

Lol.

More like $35-50. Snakes, stripper, hook keeper, thread, and finish. Plus razor blades, brushes, etc if you don't have them already.

Don't forget s&h which will be over $5 itself.

Still not expensive but depending on what the OP wants, DIY might not be an option. There's a learning curve and maybe a nice clean, processional quality build is what is desired.

I personally am looking to do something similar to the other Phillipson rod I have with a yellow band of thread on the outside, and brown thread holding the guides. While I don’t doubt my abilities, I want the rod to be very well done because it is very special to me. Can anyone recommend someone or a shop in SE PA?

Jack Mickievicz (Jack's Tackle), Douglasville. He is a friend and a master rod builder. I think you may be surprised with the cost. If you want me to get a ball-park cost, let me know.

Easy

Dream weaver in Elizabethtown PA.

I take all my rare and expensive stuff there if it needs something. Currently I have a Vince Cummings 5' 3/4at 1pc "the brookie" in his shop getting the exact work done you are looking for.

I bought this blank and kit from Andy Manchester who purchased left overs from vinces cummings shop.

Vince actually cut the blank and turned the end cap.

Andy Manchester of Old Yankee Rod smiths did the reel seat/cork, hook ring and put on the end cap.

Dream weaver is taking the thread and guides from vinces shop that he would have used and is completing it.
He is adding one silver trim wrap for touch.

My cost: 100 for the half built rod
Threads,guides blank ,endcap, reelseat etc...

Dream weaver to finish rod : 50 bucks

Totally worth it. Barry does top notch work too or he wouldn't have my "all but a cummings" rod.

Still can't believe I got all that for 150 built

Some info about Jack:

http://www.anglersportgroup.com/jack-mickievicz/

Congratulations. There are few rods as good as a Phillipson!

Back