6 wt fly line.

hunter1

hunter1

I have a Kunnan 7'6" rod, it was my first fly rod. I'm thinking of using it for small streams. It's a 4/5 wt rod. I have a 6/7 size reel i can use for it and a 6 wt floating line. do you think the reel and line would be to much for it. I'v read were some over line a rod one wt up. Thank's.

I think you'd be fine using the 6 weight line.

Thank's ,I just didn't feel like getting another reel and line for it. Happy 4th.

Go cast it in your yard and see if you like how it performs. Its all relative on how you like to cast.

That may very well dial things in for the shorter casting you'd do on small streams. Try it out. If you can't keep the line in the air for the length of casts you're trying to make, go lighter. If you can't load the rod, go heavier.

Most rods are assigned their line weight rating based on casting 30' of line. On small streams, you're rarely casting that far, so since you have less line (line = weight for this discussion) out, a heavier line weight will help load the rod as its designed on short casts.

FWIW, I typically overline my Brookie/small stream rods by one line weight. If I'm bombing dries on Penns or the LJR, I'll sometimes underline my bigger rods by one weight.

Thank's all, Very help full.

Back