6 weight Butt???

M

maximus

buying a 6 weight to use a crossover stick....smallies, big water trout and light salt water.....

wondering if any of you have any pros or cons as to the "fighting" butt full wells vs no butt smaller grip?

thanks in advance

I faced the same decision point and the question I asked myself was "Which application will I use the rod for most?"

The answer was heavy trouting, streamers and heavy nymphing big water and sm and lg mouth bass.

I went with the "no butt smaller grip" option as a result of the answer.

True to form, I have used it once in 3 yrs for light salt.

If I had to buy a big rod with no but I would want a full wells grip. that's just me...I can;t imagine trying to fight a steelhead without at least a full wells but would prefer a butt as well.

I had a 6wt with the half-wells and no butt that I broke on the Yough last summer. I've replaced it with a 7wt with full-wells and a fighting butt.

I have an 8wt I use for steelhead with a butt. I think the biggest advantage to that is the ability to take the rod butt and put it right up against your elbow for the added leverage. When fighting a larger fish it's so much easier to take control with leverage than anything else in my opinion.(just make sure you tie good knots lol) If you intend on catching a few lunkers, I'd go with the butt.

Got a 6wt with butt for bigger waters- like the yough river and for throwing streamers or for where ever small mouth fishing. I use an 8wt for steel and salt.

For PA- think a 4wt and 6wt are ideal. I like using a 8wt for steel and salt. (ha- if you need 3 rods that is) Seems to have an easier time landing bigger fish- which fortunatly I did this past year. Good luck- but really fishing with any rod can be fun.

max,
You might consider a 7WT rather than a 6WT for what you describe. My 7 gets a lot of workout on bass and big water trout fishing and I think really has an advantage over the 6 for heavy flies and split shot. Anyway, I put a butt/full wells on all the rods I build that are 7WT or larger. If you're thinking about a "salty 6WT" a fighting butt/fw would probably be nice. I think a lot of it is purely aesthetics so I upgrade the butt size with the rod size so there's a good match. I like the look of fighting butts - maybe because I'm used to them, being a bass and saltwater guy. For a 6WT, I'd use the smallest butt made - stay away from a tarpon ball.

if you are building the rod, you can make a butt piece any size and shape you want by using some left over cork handle and an old piece of rod. epoxy all together then epoxy into the end of the blank. I did it for a 4-weight nymphing rod.

That said, sounds like you are getting a factory rod. I never bought a factory rod under a 7 wieght with a butt.
You didn't mention salmon or steelhead, so I would say you don't need it. Depending on how big your hands are and whats comfortable should help your decision on full wells or half.
I personally prefer for streamer fishing is full wells grip.
For delicate presentation I like halfs.

Attachments

• 32280009r.JPG
    32280009r.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 3
or even better...make your fighting butt removable. I've seen them where they screw in and out and have a cap (which I would probably lose).

Based on the purpose of the items described;

Full Wells Grip for added leverage on the cast.

Fighting butt for longer fights of larger fish against your belt, it keeps the reel away from your body.

6-7 weight for casting larger flies.

Anything 7 weight and over should have a full wells for the added leverage on the cast. 6 weight could go either way.

Using a 6 in the salt with lead heads or large bulky decievers and clousers is pushing it to its limits.

based on you desire, I think a fast action five weight would cover the larger trout nymphing and heavy streamers. And it would be at its limit for larger bass flies.

I'd personally own a fast five for the Trout and bass and a 7weight for the salt and when the wind is heavy on a large bass river. Although you may even want an 8 or 9 for the salt which would also cover the windy bass days with big flies, although it may get a little heavy in the hand for an all day on a bass river. But you will be glad you have it over a 6 if the wind is up.

thanks guys...tons of info as always....i love this forum!!!

i have an 8 wt and a 4 wt already so a FAST 6wt seems more logical than a 5 or a 7wt...right now (i'm sure i'll come up with a reason to buy a nother rod next year)

i posed the question looking for more opinion than anything ...it just seem to me that with out a full wells and butt the rod just feels lighter in the hand....though the specs only add a quarter ounce

thanks again for all the posts

Find a rod were you can screw the butt off when your not going to use it .

Back