5 wt reel recomendations?

djs12354

djs12354

Thinking of purchasing a five weight reel as a "second" reel to have pan fish line loaded on it so that I can just switch out when leaving the streams for the ponds.
Want something decent, but lower $, since it will be a spare.

Any suggestions?

Dave, some shops are selling the discontinued Orvis Battenkill for closeout prices. I know a shop selling 3/4's for $59. To buy the reel at that price, I feel like I should be wearing a mask! I'm sure you could get the 5/6's at closeout too. PM me if you want the link for the 3/4's.

By the way, I'm still pumped about fish #1! :hammer:

I have a panfish line if you are interested.

They did-they called level lines that sometimes back in the dark ages before finicky took over.

I have an Okuma Sierra 4/5 that I use on one of my Brookie rods. It's small and light, and of good quality for the price...can usually be found for under $40. I'm sure it would make a nice panfish reel as well.

It is small though, and won't hold much backing with a 5wt line on it. And I'm not sure how the lightish drag components would hold up if you ever really needed them. Not that either of those is an issue with panfish or Brookies though. Just a heads up in case you plan to seek out the occasional Bass or bigger WW fish with it.

The lower end Cabelas house reels would probably fit your bill too. They make a couple different ones for under $50 that would probably work well for you. Cabelas house reels are much nicer than BPS IMO.

The Battenkill as the other guys have mentioned would be a good option too for a little more $.

Okuma slv is a great reel for about $45

Fox, Are the Battenkill reels that you know of on closeout for $59 the BBS or the classics? Either way, that is a great deal. If you don't mind, send me a PM with more info.

djs, I would recommend the Battenkill if you can pick one up for $59.

Dave,

There's a new store called Sportsmans Liquidators next to the new Pittson Walmart. Not a lot of fly stuff but they had a couple nice reels (and some junk)when I was in there a couple weeks ago.

I have a Bass Pro Hobbs Creek which goes for $40 and I like it as much as some of my expensive reels. There are actually quite a few die cast reels in the $40-$60 range which aren't bad at all. Okuma has some nice ones and there'are always close outs.

If you're talking about the panfish line I gave you it should be a 5/6 reel, not a 4/5 reel. That line is probably the low end of 6 wt though it worked real nice with a 5 wt rod.

Cathy

Can you get a spare spool for the reel you have now?

Thanks for all the replies.

Thinking I may go with a duplicate of the reel currently on my 5 weight. It's part of combo that my wife gave me for Christmas (purchased from Cabela's and is their Prestige line).

Someone told me that they are Okuma reels, branded for Cabela's?

Part of my thought is to have a backup for this reel as well as making for a quick change. That's why I was going to go with the additional reel instead of just the spare spool.

Cathy - I was wondering about that store, sounds like its a place to visit but to look over what you are purchasing.

Dave

The new store in Pittston is pretty decent. They had a nice reel that I think was Okuma. It was a bar stock reel for $60 with spare spools for about $13. I think it was a 4/5 reel. They had tons of spinning stuff, some hunting, lots of sports clothes.

I wish they had a bigger fly fishing selection.

Hmmm... new store in Pittston. I'll be checking that out soon!

As far as a pan fish reel Dave... something light and inexpensive. Maybe the small Plueger medalist. They hold up for a long time.

I'll second the Hobbs Creek from bass pro. $40 and it is an excellent reel.

Okuma Sierra holds up. I've caught everything from brookies, bass, carp, large browns, etc. on mine (and chubs....) It was my first reel, never felt the need to replace it.

I bought a Classic Reel on sale at Bass Pro Shop a month ago. It's a discontinued reel that originally sold for $140 on sale for $57. A machined reel made in Korea. Very nice reel, and all the reviews were very positive. Maybe some of the stores still have them.

Like I needed another reel but.....

Thanks for all the replies. It's given me a lot to ponder over. And that's half the fun of this sport, isn't it?

How about a 1 yr old slightly used Redington Drift :)

Back