4wt 8'6'' or 9'

brandozer317

brandozer317

I am looking into purchasing a 4wt rod. As a beginner i started out with a cheap 5wt 8'6''. I recently acquired a 6wt 9'. With that said, I thought a 4wt would be a nice addtition to pair with the 6wt to meet needs of a lot of the water I fish.

The question I am struggling with is whether or not I should get the 8'6'' or 9'. Any thoughts or past experience would be helpful.

I am nymphing 90% of the time, but do love to swithc to dries when they are sipping off the top.

Thanks.

Depends on what size streams you're fishing and what other fly rods you currently own.

I fish a lot of small/medium streams and my 8' 4 wt gets used 60-70% of the year.

I use a 9' 4 wt. I use rods between 8'6" to (' for trout.

I got a 9' 4wt this winter and have fished it a lot, mainly on Penns. I do however have a hankering for a shorter 4wt for smaller streams, not that this doesn't work, just because I'm a sucker for toys.

Coming from mainly fishing my 905 (which is actually closer to a 5.5/6wt according to people more knowledgable than me) last year and an 865 for years before that, I'm really enjoying the lighter 4wt

I prefer fishing 8 footers in a 4 weight.

I know this wasn't on your list, buy I say 10ft. You say you mainly nymph, which a 10ft rod will help alot. It is also a good dry fly rod for when a hatch pops off. My 10ft 4wt is probably my most fished rod, and I use it for every scenario minus tiny mountain streams or heavy streamers. If you are really against a 10ft rod, then I'd say a 9ft just because I always appreciate the extra reach.

I have a 9' 4wt and love it.

I like my 8.5' 4 Winston WT over my fast Scott 9" > my G Loomis 8" > 7.5 St. Croix . But, each has it's place on different water.

kobalt335 wrote:
I know this wasn't on your list, buy I say 10ft. You say you mainly nymph, which a 10ft rod will help alot. It is also a good dry fly rod for when a hatch pops off. My 10ft 4wt is probably my most fished rod, and I use it for every scenario minus tiny mountain streams or heavy streamers. If you are really against a 10ft rod, then I'd say a 9ft just because I always appreciate the extra reach.

Go 10 footer, you won't regret it. Fishing a longer rod while nymphing is an absolute game changer. There aren't a whole lot of things when it comes to rods and reels that will actually help you catch more fish...this will.

ryansheehan wrote:
kobalt335 wrote:

Go 10 footer, you won't regret it. Fishing a longer rod while nymphing is an absolute game changer. There aren't a whole lot of things when it comes to rods and reels that will actually help you catch more fish...this will.

Agree with Ryan ^

I use my 10' rod for nearly all my trout fishing with the only exception the tiniest of streams in heavy cover. I fish nymphs, wets, dries and streamers with a 10footer and it gives me an advantage with all these methods.

Agree with above. I fish my 10'8" 4wt 80-90% off the time. It can do everything and i do fish on smaller streams 10-20" wide. It has many advantages and few draw backs.

I love my 8.5 ft 4wt Helios 2. It excels at finesse dry fly fishing and swinging wets.

I can't tell the difference between an 8.5 and a 9 foot fly rod.

Get which ever one looks better or costs less.

I have both and usually fish the longer 9 footers on bigger water. Either one would be a good choice IMO. Cast several and pick the one you like the best.

I usually let the action/flex and the intended purpose (dries, nymphing) of said 4wt determine what length I choose. With most slower, full flexing rods I prefer an 8' rod...if it's fiberglass, the 7'6" 4wt is hard to beat. A quicker or more progressive rod would have me leaning towards a 9'. I can't really comment on the 10' thing as I only have experience with a 10' 7wt for steelhead. I've used it for bass bugs and streamers and it feels cumbersome to me. It works but I find it fatiguing over the course of a full day. Folks seem to love them for trout though.

I have specific rods that I like to fish hatches with, and I have others that I'll take when I don't expect any surface activity. That said, this year I've only taken 9' 5wts with me. The nice thing about FF'ing is you can make it as complicated or simple as you choose.

Have fun picking a rod.

I have 7'3" (FS glass) 4#, 8.5, and 9' 4#. Though I love the action of the glass but find I can do everything better with the longer rod. TBH I might eventually ditch the 8.5 and get a 10'+.

If you are fishing mostly nymphs any extra length can make all of the difference when you are high sticking.
If you are fishing dries, the length helps with roll casts in tight quarters and gives extra leverage to throw additional slack into your parachute and s-casts to prevent the need to mend and drag that fly.

A 4wt line is my favorite so if you have the need, get one now and the other length later. I have them from 4' up to 9' Joe E

Back