4 wt. reel recommendation

mcwillja

mcwillja

hello fellow enthusiasts,

What do you all use for a quality 3 or 4 wt. reel. I use a hatch 3 and 4 plus for bigger rivers so i don't want another one of those. I would like a reel that's more affordable but still good quality. Was thinking a Nautilus, Hardy, or maybe a ross or Lamson? What are some of you using and what do you like or dislike. And if anyone has any good condition used ones they want to sell lmk.

Thanks

Jason

I haven't used one, but I think the Lamson Liquid reels look interesting.

High quality at a moderate price. At least that's how I imagine them.

You can Never go wrong with a orvis battenkill

I use the lamson remix on my scott g2 3wt and the lamson guru 1.5 on my scott a4 and for the price IMO are worth it.

I have a Hatch 1 for sale in the Swap forum that is affordable in comparison to a new one

Just curious why someone would need a higher end 3/4 weight? I can't see that light weight of a reel needing to do anything but hold the line especially with the way PA streams and trout are.

I would go with a vintage Orvis battenkill or a vintage Hardy made CFO ll or lll

Big John i see what you are saying but there are some big fish in Penns and the little J for instance. I live in Central NY and there are some big fish in the small/med streams.

That is why I suggested those 2. Both have a great drag system and are classy looking reels. Well made with high functionality and not overly expensive pending where and when you get one.
What budget are you looking at?

Orvis battenkill disc 3/4

A classic Hardy Flyweight or Featherweight falls right into you budget. Can usually find them about $50 cheaper than similar sized CFO's of similar vintage...

IMO there is no need for drag for trout fishing. Click and pawl reels are harder to come by these days and even though there is no "drag",
You still get about a pound and a half of drag and that's all you need

mcwillja wrote:
Big John i see what you are saying but there are some big fish in Penns and the little J for instance. I live in Central NY and there are some big fish in the small/med streams.

bigjohn58 wrote:
Just curious why someone would need a higher end 3/4 weight? I can't see that light weight of a reel needing to do anything but hold the line especially with the way PA streams and trout are.

What reel would you recommend?

Really wish they still sold STH reels here

Check your PM. Was going to text but not sure if I still had the correct number after losing 2 phones in 6 weeks.....don't ask

I use a new cfo 2 or old cfo 3 on my 4wts.

Another possibility is the cfo123. If I remember they are very lite on weight too.

troutbert wrote:
bigjohn58 wrote:

What reel would you recommend?

I just purchased a Piscifun Blaze 3/4wt for my 9'4wt I am building. I think it was like $48 and free shipping direct from Pascifun. I got it because I wanted a gold colored reel to go with this rod. I'm also catching trout up to 24" but never had to worry about a drag system. I hand strip all my fish in.

I also like the lower end Okumas too. Okuma builds a decent fly reel over all from what I hear. I have no complaints from my 5/6wt.

ended up getting a sage 3230 on clearance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sage-3230-Fly-Reel-Size-3-4-Color-Black-Platinum-NEW-CLOSEOUT/282549493907?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Db0385bc3ee0b46d7a13ddb12660fbcdd%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dlo%26sd%3D282549493907&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%253A4018718f-7c6e-11e7-91df-74dbd1809eea%257Cparentrq%253Ac348006315d0abc2023a68f7fffc9126%257Ciid%253A1

Back