4 of the biggest threats facing the Delaware River, according to experts

https://www.101soundboards.com/sounds/260052-i-think-that-i-am-familiar-with-the-fact-that-you-are-going-to-ignore-this-particular-prob

New York is the biggest threat, always has always will be

Another article and video about conservation of the D River >

https://www.wfmz.com/news/area/lehighvalley/nonprofits-gather-to-find-ways-of-protecting-delaware-river-watershed/article_d867ae44-f05a-11e9-9189-33f148e955b9.html

Tigereye,
The climate change threat described in the article is sea level rise, which we know is already occurring. This will reduce the extent of the freshwater habitats in the Delaware Estuary and provide very real challenges for infrastructure in tidal areas, exacerbating the impacts of coastal storms at high tide.

I suspect this could be hard on the oyster fishery if the encroachment of higher salinities allow oyster drills (a mollusk that preys on oysters) to move farther upstream. It will certainly add additional difficulties in preventing salt water from encroaching on aquifers that are used potable water supplies, with reservoirs in the drainage basin more frequently being drawn down to some extent to push the salt line downstream. That could impact fishing and boating in some of the reservoirs.

I don’t recall any mention of warmer water temps in the Delaware or Lehigh trout stretches, but that would be another potential concern.

Tigereye wrote:
I am just skeptical of climate change in general. [/quo

You mean because you're a scientist and it conflicts with the data you've collected over the last century, right? ;-)

tomgamber wrote:
Tigereye wrote:
I am just skeptical of climate change in general. [/quo

You mean because you're a scientist and it conflicts with the data you've collected over the last century, right? ;-)

Actually that's not fair of me. You did say skeptical. You didn't say you don't believe in it. I can understand skepticism with anything. Its when people say they don't believe in something that has no basis in faith. So again, I'm sorry for misstating your remark.

Dear boulderworks,

Nice article but it easily excuses the Delaware's two biggest threats.

It's bordered by NY and NJ.

I'm just kidding!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Tigereye wrote:
I am just skeptical of climate change in general.

I have a lot of faith in science. Many things that are now taken for fact took a lot of criticism when proposed and challenged accepted modes of thought during their time period. In the modern era with our technology it is quite easy to measure smaller ice caps, warmer overall trends, harsher storms, and rising waters. Those things are extremely easy to measure. I'm not sure how you can be skeptical of climate change when there is so much quantitative data. I think that the only thing that you have the possibility of being skeptical of is the "why" it is occuring.

Let me clarify. Climate has been changing since the beginning of time. Is it anthropomormophic? If so can we do anything about it? My answers are no, and not likely.

Fossil fuels are the perceived demon. Who in the western world is going to give upheating and cooling their houses? Their cars? Their ocean cruises.? Jetting and driving all over to fish and hunt their dream destination? Importing and shipping food goods and services.

By definition it's a global issue. Who has the political balls to tell 2nd and third world countries that they have to stop burning cowdung to eke out a warm night for their families and starve for the sake of the planet. Are they not entitled to some level of human need as us Westerners? Should Westerners give up their luxuries and live as the third world does?

Climate change is a feel good mantra for progressives, whose viewpoint centers around themselves.

If climate is changing, then as part of nature, those that can adapt will, and flourish. Those that can't will die.

We should focus on things we can change. Starvation and poverty in third world countries should be high on the list. Going to be very difficult without foosil fuels, unless they too should suffer the same fate as the woooly mammath.

Tigereye wrote:

Climate change is a feel good mantra for progressives, whose viewpoint centers around themselves.

As are most all environmental issues. Conservatives only care about money even at the expense of the environment.

I'm OK with that. So with the advent of the industrial revolution and literally a billion previously non-existent fuel burning vehicles, machinery and a century of a new level of emissions as the world has never before experienced, you think its had no effect?

We as a planet have ignored water, air and soil pollution to a point of no recovery. Went decades before we believed any of those we worthy of efforts. Let me ask you this, "How long can you tread water?" :cool:

Let’s not call plastics pollution an “emerging” contaminant or issue for the Delaware. The islands in the tidal sections have been pig pens of plastic debris since I was first exposed to them in the early 1980’s. Going to one other end of the drainage, Auburn Dam, on the Schuylkill R in Schuylkill Co, had and has the same problem. Rural or urban, the problem is ubiquitous.

Mike wrote:
Per the first link, plastics pollution was referred to as an emerging contaminant and an emerging issue. Let’s not call it “emerging.” Hardly emerging on the Delaware. The islands in the tidal sections have been pig pens of plastic bottles and other plastic debris since I was first exposed to them in the early 1980’s. Going to one other end of the drainage, Auburn Dam, on the Schuylkill R in Schuylkill Co, had and has the same problem. Rural or urban, the problem is ubiquitous.

I also attended a conference at a hospital about 15 yrs ago during which a researcher from academia described the release of endocrine disruptors from the breakdown of plastics along waterways.

Where do I think most of the plastic debris in rivers comes from? Littering on streets/roads, careless placement of recyclables in containers along streets on “garbage pick-up days,” and illegal trash disposal over roadside embankments are what I suspect are the primary sources. Stormwater runoff carries the plastics to the tribs abd eventually the rivers. And then there are the individuals who throw empty plastic bottles in their uncovered pick-up truck beds as if they are going to stay there as they drive down the highways.

Interesting ^

I found this article about the subject of endocrine disrupters >

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/03/100323184607.htm

@tomgamber

Realism vs idealism. Drive to your nearest fishing hole? Sit at a computer? Does your place of employment use electricity or heat in it's offices? Similarly is your home heated or have electric power? Eat any beef lately ? Purchase anything that was trucked to a store that was heated or lighted? Refrigerator working? Coal bin full of coal or oil tank full of oil ready for winter? Perhaps you use electric from a power plant? Natural gas from PA? Go on vacation lately? Did you drive or fly? Own a car? How often do you use a bus? How many fly rods do you own? Reels? How about flies? Those hooks are made of steel which is a huge consumer of fossil fuel electric power. Any steel in your home? Wood? Synthetics? Yep all manufactured with power. And the demand for those goods is from you and the millions of others in the US alone that those greedy corporations are trying to fill. Little demand for Conestoga wagons these days.

What are you giving up to save the planet? Or is it just others that need to restrict consumption?

No need to be so dark and pessimistic...

Trying to reduce consumption of electricity and petroleum products makes sense.

Also developing some alternate energy sources like water, wind and solar power where we can is also a good idea.

There are many ways to save energy like more efficient vehicles, appliances and even just thinking about how to use these things more efficiently.

Better home insulation can cut heating and cooling bills as well as installing newer and more efficient heating and cooling systems reduce consumption.

These small things add up, save energy, and often save money.

Be positive, be mindful, and be happy.

Well said, Afish!

Tigereye wrote:
Let me clarify. Climate has been changing since the beginning of time. Is it anthropomormophic? If so can we do anything about it? My answers are no, and not likely.

-- This ignores the prevailing scientific position that the burning of fossil fuels is the primary driver of increased warming at a rate that exceeds all natural precedents.

Fossil fuels are the perceived demon. Who in the western world is going to give upheating and cooling their houses? Their cars? Their ocean cruises.? Jetting and driving all over to fish and hunt their dream destination? Importing and shipping food goods and services.

--Fair point. It's an uncomfortable proposition but this does not negate the data.

By definition it's a global issue. Who has the political balls to tell 2nd and third world countries that they have to stop burning cowdung to eke out a warm night for their families and starve for the sake of the planet. Are they not entitled to some level of human need as us Westerners? Should Westerners give up their luxuries and live as the third world does?

-- See above

If climate is changing, then as part of nature, those that can adapt will, and flourish. Those that can't will die.

-- Evolution takes place on a far larger scale than the current rate of change.

We should focus on things we can change. Starvation and poverty in third world countries should be high on the list. Going to be very difficult without foosil fuels, unless they too should suffer the same fate as the woooly mammath.

Back