3wt. Reel

guppieguy

guppieguy

I've been thinking about investing in a small stream trout/panfish outfit, probably a 6'6" or 7' 3wt. While I have a few options in mind for the rod, I'm not quite sure where to go with the reel. I plan to spend around $300 or so on the rod, but I'm not sure if I should get a quality reel to match, or take the economic route and go for a cheap reel. Common sense would tell me that I probably won't hear my drag singing to often on a 3 wt. targeted mostly at trout and panfish. I feel like it will most often act solely as a "line holder." What do you use on your light setups? Is the reel REALLY important or can I invest money elsewhere? I appreciate the input guys.

EDIT: On a side note, I have been looking at the Allen and Redington reels, but I'm open to any suggestions to anything you think will match the rod appropriately.

Many will tell you to get an Orvis Battenkill for a 3 weight. You can go cheaper. I have Cabela's Prestige Plus, Prestige, and some discontinued Pflueger from Sports Authority that have worked fine for me. Didn't spend more than $30.00 on either of them. Most places you'll use a 3 weight you'll have no need for a drag.
Also, if you're hiking through the woods a lot, don't get an expensive rod that you have to worry about breaking. My 3 weight set-up is a Cabela's Three Forks combo that I got for $80.00 total, including line and backing. Look for an inexpensive combo that feels good to you when you cast the rod.

What rod are you looking at?

I'm most seriously looking at getting a rod from the Ithaca Rod Company. I am going to school in Ithaca and I think it would be cool to have a rod with a connection to the area. The owner of IRC has really helped me assimilate to the area, and is always willing to help me out. He's a great guy.

Like I said, I am most interested in the 3 wt. 6'6" or 7'

They are about halfway down the page.

Ithaca Rod Company

I like the idea of having a rod that brings back memories of your school. My 3wt does that for me, but I didn't go to school anywhere near Bainbridge Island WA.

This is the 3wt reel I have. I "reelly" like it. I wanted a light reel to balance a light rod.

http://galvanflyreels.com/brookie_reels.html

I have an Echo Carbon 663 coming in tomorrow with a pretty standard Cortland Pro-Cast Mid Arbor. The reel can be had for about $25-30.

Over the years I've bought (and sold) many reels and never found a reel for less than $100 that I liked. A few months ago I looked at combos and learned that in those combo, the reel's selling price ranged from 40% to 70% of the retail value of the rod.

Give consideration to balance. Here's a thread on it:

Is Your Butt Too Heavy

As Fetter said, balance is probably the most important factor for your setup. The Risen Fly Ichthus reel is pretty light at 4ounces.

Many will tell you to get an Orvis Battenkill for a 3 weight.

I have a Battenkill II reel. It is a great reel and I'll be getting another if I ever get another small stream rod (I currently have a 7'6" 3wt Orvis Clearwater rod).

Orvis makes three sizes in this reel (I, II, and III). Very light and great feel. I love the click and paw design too.

How about seating a beautiful Pfleuger Medalist 1492 on that rod. You can find one fairly easy on the auction site, and it most likely will be less than 75 buck including shipping. Plus it will out last your grandchildren's grandchildren.

I have a battenkill on my current 5 wt. trout setup, and I like it a lot. That being said, I would like to try something different just to see what's out there.

On the contrary, the 3wt IS the rod you will want a decent drag. With the light tippet you should be using you'll want something smooth. I had a Ross evolution on my Scott G2 (before it was stolen). I used it on many western PA streams and also in MT. You think you'll be using it on small streams but you'll soon take it to your favorites to drop midges on wary trout and when the 20" hits you'll be glad you have a good smooth drag.

Just a thought ... if you have never used a short fly rod, try to find someone who will let you use theirs. I have a 7ft St. Croix and it takes me a while to get used to the timing. At least consider a 7'6" rod. I would buy the 7'6" if I started over.

I have a ULA Purist on my rig, and I love it. But to be honest, it doesn't do anything the cheap Cabela's graphite reel didn't do. None of the panfish and small stream trout I've found in PA would challenge the strength of the reel.

byf wrote:
On the contrary, the 3wt IS the rod you will want a decent drag. With the light tippet you should be using you'll want something smooth. I had a Ross evolution on my Scott G2 (before it was stolen). I used it on many western PA streams and also in MT. You think you'll be using it on small streams but you'll soon take it to your favorites to drop midges on wary trout and when the 20" hits you'll be glad you have a good smooth drag.

Agree!
I have a Lamson Purist on my 9' 3wt zaxis. 18-20" rainbows on Montana spring creeks test your knots, your 6x and your drag..

I saw no mention of Montana spring creeks. Pa.trout and panfish don't require much of a drag.

Go buy a cabelas wind river. I have the 7/8 on my 7wt and the steelhead have put this reel through the ringer and it's as great as the day I bought it. I just bought the 3/4 for my 4wt. They are on sale right now for $20.

Hokie, I definitely plan to do a lot of "testing" at the shop to try to get a feel for a shorter rod short rod at various lengths. You're right, I've never casted one before and I'm sure it is very different.

Back