3wt orvis superfine glass for small streams

P

Phil94

This is the first year I have sworn off the spinning rod and got started with a reddington crosswater 5wt 9ft setup but have found myself switching to fishing more and more small streams for Brookies and some Browns and getting more serious about fly fishing and was thinking of getting an orvis superfine glass 3wt 7ft and overlining it with a 4wt line since most casting will be close. Good setup or no? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I have that same set up, except it's a 7 1/2 foot rod. I love it. It's great for small streams. I enjoy having the heavier line on it as I feel like I can get more out of my cast when I need to.

I also just bought the 3wt. 7ft (3wt line) this year and love it. It was my first fiberglass purchase and I'm now eying up the 5 or 6 wt....definitely recommend.

I have the orvis glass 4 WT, it's very soft, mends poorly. It's fun though. You may not want to get anything lighter.

However, I wiggled a Douglas Upstream yesterday and was very impressed. You may want to consider it. It has a half wells grip to boot, which I love.

Thanks for the input I'm gonna have to get my hands on some different rods and see what I like. I'm still in the saving money phase right now. But I think I would like having a light wt glass rod to make it a little more fun to fight little trout.

If you're looking to save money, I would highly recommend the Cabela's CGR Fiberglass Rods. They were just on sale for dirt cheap, but even at full price, they are a great buy.

http://thefiberglassmanifesto.blogspot.com/2011/06/cabelas-cgr-series-review.html

I managed to get the 7/8 for $50 last month and looking forward to smallies. The Prime fiberglass rods are on sale right now which have also received great reviews.

I checked out the cgr rods but they are on back order on cabelas website

I've got the 7 1/2 foot 4 weight and love it for small streams. It casts a true 4 weight just fine, with no need to overline, even with less than a rod's length of line out, and a long leader. If you get the seven footer, you might want to try it with the three weight first. (I regularly overline other rods for close-in fishing; this is an exception.)

I'm not sure why the poster above thinks it mends poorly; I haven't found that to be true (other than it's fairly short rod.) It's about medium action for glass, not particularly soft.

DavidFin wrote:
I have the orvis glass 4 WT, it's very soft, mends poorly. It's fun though. You may not want to get anything lighter.

However, I wiggled a Douglas Upstream yesterday and was very impressed. You may want to consider it. It has a half wells grip to boot, which I love.

Most complain that it is too stiff when compared to a classic glass rod.

I do agree, giving the Upstream a shot is worth it. I test casted the 8'3" 3 weight and I was impressed. I just like having a solid reel seat instead one of those stupid all cork jobs with sliding rings. Nothing like dropping the reel on some rocks as it slides out. (or out of a canoe as I have done)

Scott Glass rods are very nice as well, but have to get a custom rod build on the one I casted to get an actual reel seat.

The Cabelas CGR, another great option - even when not on sale a great deal, once again has the cork with sliders.

I believe that overlining a glass rod is overkill, proper casting motion/adjusting to the rod will give you all the bend you need. I have never cast one that I have felt needed to be overlined, even with just casting 10 or so feet.

I have cork reel seats with a downlocking sliding ring on rods from a 7' 3wt up to a 9' 6 weight. They work fine. I have never had a reel fall out.

I have the 3 wt superfine glass. Good small stream rod, no need to over line it, it loads well with a short line. It's a lot of fun with a handful of dry flies and a nice brookie stream.

Back