3 weight outfits

C

CWE24

Looking for a rod from about 7 foot-7'6''... Trying to find out the rods you guys like with a budget around $300. Let me know your opinions please! Thank you for any information

I prefer 8 1/2 - 9' rods where I spend the majority of my fishing these days. Most of my fishing is open, not tight quarters. There are times when I want to fish a soft slow rod (Sage LL 389) - dries and tiny nymphs with no indicator, a medium fast rod (Loop Opti Creek 388-4) - very versitle, handles nymphs, wets, dries, or a fast rod (Sage XP486-4), allows me the ability to punch out line quick and can handle most any condition. It really depends on whether I'm nymphing, dry dropper, or dry fly fishing as well as wind and stream size that designates my choice of rod. When I know I'm going to be on the move, covering lots of water, hitting pockets and runs fast, I'll choose the XP. If I know I'll be covering less water, tossing to rising fish, I'll take out the LL. The Loop is everything in between.

As an aside - I have an excellent condition Sage SLT 373-3 that I'd part with for $325. I'm firm on the price. Nice little stick, it just never leaves the closet.

Cheers,
Mike.

Guess I'm the only one who fishes a 3 wt.! ;-)

the XP is a 386-4 not a 486-4 - mistake on my part.

I won an Allen ATS 2wt at the Jam this year. I line it with 3wt line (website had it listed as a 2/3), and I LOVE it. They're fairly affordable too, under $200.00.

For small streams I built a 7'6" rod from an Allen Xa blank that I would recommend.

Don

ConMan wrote:
Guess I'm the only one who fishes a 3 wt.! ;-)

the XP is a 386-4 not a 486-4 - mistake on my part.
I have several 3 weights I fish with so you are not the only one ;-)

brain wrote:
i have a 6' 3wt avid that i've been real happy with.
The St. Croix "Avid" series are nice rods well within your price point. I have one, a 7'6" 2 weight that I use for fishing Tricos. I have no complaints.

+1 on wildtiger's post. He beat me to that suggestion. I have one of the original Sage 7'9", 3wt rods before the LL series and it's still a favorite. Have you looked at any of the Ross rods? Have the FW and it's pretty decent.

below is deal I found from fly shop:

St. Croix Avid AF803,
8ft, 3 weight,
2 piece,
new,
clearance $140
was $220

krayfish wrote:
+1 on wildtiger's post. He beat me to that suggestion. I have one of the original Sage 7'9", 3wt rods before the LL series and it's still a favorite. Have you looked at any of the Ross rods? Have the FW and it's pretty decent.

below is deal I found from fly shop:

St. Croix Avid AF803,
8ft, 3 weight,
2 piece,
new,
clearance $140
was $220
That is a good price.

I use my Orvis Clearwater II 7'6" 3wt alot. So much that I have even joked about using it at Salmon River during the Salmon run. I had a tough enough time with my Clearwater II 9' 8wt that I know better than to bring it.

Steffen Brothers S-Glass Fly Rods

http://www.steffenbrothersflyrods.com/fiberglass.htm

Back