3-D Printed Fly Reels

MD_Gene

MD_Gene

Interesting concept....

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/the-lateral-line/video-first-ever-on-the-water-test-of-a-3d-printed-fly-reel?ZTYF7DWpQ1Vt4eP6.03

That water is fun. Ugly reels, but whatever.

interesting cover of F&S on that page...bearing in mind the discussion we had on here last week about fly girls...

yes, ugly reels but very practical for stillwater anglers - Hardy, Greys and others have been making plastic catridges (spools) for fly reels for a year or two already.

i'd be interested to see the drag work with a decent fish - surely a plastic drag would literally melt ?

and the plastic may be bio-degradeable but it still comes from petroleum cracking, so hardly bio-friendly.

cool project though.

interesting and amazing what all can be done with these 3D printers. I have seen quite a few gun videos. I think I'll stick with what I have for now though.

geebee wrote:
interesting cover of F&S on that page...bearing in mind the discussion we had on here last week about fly girls...

yes, ugly reels but very practical for stillwater anglers - Hardy, Greys and others have been making plastic catridges (spools) for fly reels for a year or two already.

i'd be interested to see the drag work with a decent fish - surely a plastic drag would literally melt ?

and the plastic may be bio-degradeable but it still comes from petroleum cracking, so hardly bio-friendly.

cool project though.

The maker of the reel uses a PLA plastic, derived from corn starch. No doubt petroleum byproducts were used somewhere in the supply chain to make and transport the plastic, but the plastic itself is not derived from cracked crude.

The possibilities of 3D printers are definitely unimaginable.

Those fish in the video weren't decent? Like the man said you not gonna use it for tarpon or steelies but its just find for your 12" trout and smaller native Brookies. I'm not buying one though.

When did LEGOs' enter the fly fishing industry ?

Back