2023 adult trout stocking schedule

I personally would like to see later stocking dates.
I get that for serious anglers. Unfortunately, angler use has been dropping off precipitously on many stocked trout streams by May 10, making later stockings on a number of streams seem somewhat wasteful. Some WCO’s talk about nobody being along the streams when the truck shows up for an inseason stocking. Additionally, the earlier opening day probably aids in this effort to get inseason stockings completed earlier, putting fish in the streams while angler interest is high. If you think about it, in cases where wild trout are present stocking when angler interest is high also gets competitors removed sooner. Furthermore, there has generally been a push at times to get the raceways emptied out ASAP in spring so that the next yr’s spring adults, which are small fingerlings in May, can be moved out of crowded hatch house troughs into the standard raceways. Finally, streams are cooler a little earlier in the inseason season stocking period so it’s better for the fish and for anglers frequenting marginal (temp) waters. It is also better for fish transport when air temps are cooler…. Fish are generally healthier after long trips on cooler days.

Last edited:
I personally would like to see later stocking dates.
Did you mean closer to opening day or later in the spring?

Later in spring for later stockings. Most of the second stocking dates are in April they used to be in May when opening day in the north was later in April.
Personally, I'd prefer later fall stocking to let more survive the winter and then give us more time in early Spring. Water warms too quickly nowadays.

But.....

Mike is going to tell you / provide reports showing you that virtually no fish carryover through the winter.

It looks like all the spring stockings for the Tully are being postponed. Anybody have any info on why?

No info on the why . Big Spring,Codorus, and a few others are listed the same way.

Mike what hatchery traditionally would those fish have come from for BS?

Dozens of streams have been "postponed" for stocking in many areas but mostly in SE PA region. Stocking dates are postponed for both preseason as well as the later in-season stocking dates. Very strange.

Over here in NJ during the pandemic all the trout were stocked preseason with no closed season and it turned out to be the best years for fly fishing. The bait slingers caught tons of fish (like 100 per day for some) early, which at first anticipated a poor late season. The massive amounts of fish brought crowds everywhere. However, the trout soon turned off to Power Bait and spinners leaving streams full of fish with few bait guys. It was good fly fishing all summer (except when Hurricane Ian ruined things) and the trout never wised up to flies.

Back