2021 FEW Dam release schedule for Lehigh River

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
FYI>

https://www.nap.usace.army.mil/Missions/Civil-Works/Francis-E-Walter-Dam/Flow-Management-Plan-Schedule/fbclid/IwAR0Blr1Rwd5sKtki8k8bFCp0gidq5j5P2fWzOAKE0EIj247huyt7ESkI2zs/

Sorry to see they haven't gotten rid of the whitewater releases

I doubt that will ever be seen.

I think the FEW plan has come a long way. The only thing I would like and I don't think it would be too difficult is to extend the fishing days into early June. There are lots of fishing days in March but typically March is cold as is the water making the fish still sluggish. March is typically a big snow month as well which makes getting to the river bank more difficult.

March trout fishing is permitted in the specific stretch within Carbon Co, near and in Jim Thorpe, that is designated as a stocked trout fishery open to year around fishing. See the Summary Booklet for the specific limits of this river section.

Tongue in cheek comment by me, Millsertime said it best

The entire river is open to year round fishing (unless the regs have changed for 2021) as the approved trout water Mike mentions above is designated as being open early and the rest of the river is not 'approved trout water' and is therefore not subject to the closed period for stocking

Ask someone else that stated, I wish that they would let the river run its normal flow in March and move those releases to the early part of June. When that river is on, it's pretty darn good and when it's dead, you'd rather be cutting your lawn with a pair of scissors. Keeping the fingers crossed for some rain this spring and early summer.

Millsertime - Fishing days in early spring are intended to allow access to the river when flow levels are normally too high to fish productively and safely. These early spring fishing days also aid in filling the reservoir to its summer lake levels. Once you get into May and June, river flows are tame enough and the Corps does not need to reduce river levels. Also, we don't want to be dumping too much water in May and June as this would deplete the cold/cool water quicker. These Plans have been tweaked and revised many times over the years. There really isn't much more that can be done to improve flows and help improve the fishery given the amount of water storage in the dam.

LR,

I never thought about the march fishing releases being used to fill the lake. Thats around the time they up the level from 1300 to 1370 so i assume the extra water going in while the release is cut to 400 gets it up to 1370 faster. Good info, thanks.

Hopefully we can get some more water in the lake when this study concludes, seems like that might be the best thing for all types of recreation given that the plan is maxed out within its current parameters like you said

Timmyt

The current ongoing feasibility study is the only real chance at making significant improvements towards the fishery. Other types of recreation will benefit as well, but the changes outlined in this study will have a more positive effect on the fishery.

Back