2020 tying jam - 15 Feb

GenCon

GenCon

GenCon wrote:
To all PAFF members, family, and friends:

You are invited to attend and participate in the 2020 PAFF Eastern PA Fly Tying Jamboree, to be held on Saturday, February 15, from 10 AM to 5 PM.

This event is being hosted by Michael Lohman GenCon . Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

This event will be held at the Lehigh Gap Nature Center, in Slatington, PA. Directions can be found here:

http://lgnc.org/

Everyone is invited to attend and watch the demonstrations, get tips from the the tyers, and have a great time. We particularly encourage beginner tyers to attend, and we'll have beginner instruction set up at a table. Details to follow.

As always, we need to recruit a team of volunteer tyers of all skill levels to participate and we ask that you register your willingness to give a demonstration by signing up in this thread. Each tyer will be given 15-20 minutes to tie and explain their chosen demo fly. Tyers will tie one at a time, proceeding around the room. Please choose a pattern that fits in to one of the following categories, and list it in your signup post. Duplicates are OK, but try to pick a pattern that hasn't already been chosen.

Categories:

- Catskill style dries
- parachute style dries
- comparadun and hairwing style dries
- emergers
- imitative nymphs
- attractor nymphs
- terrestrials
- wet flies
- streamers
- "other" flies

Tying on a large hook (e.g. #12) makes it much easier for the audience to see what you are doing. It really helps if you practice your "demo" beforehand, especially to keep within the time limit. Having all materials laid out beforehand is also good. We should be able to fit about 30 tyers into the rotation. If we have extra time, that time will be used for Q & A sessions following each demo. We request that the tyers explain techniques as they go, rather than just tying the fly, and explaining afterwards. This can easily make a 5 minute tie into a 15 minute tie, so be prepared.

Things to bring:

All Tools and materials to tie your chosen demo fly. A tying lamp and any extension cords you need - there's an ample number of outlets on the walls behind the tying tables.

Bring any food or drinks you'd like to, but save room for dinner! We'll provide spring water on ice.

It's a good idea to get there and set up your tying gear before 10AM. We'll have access to the hall at the LGNC at 9AM, so please be ready to start tying at 10AM.

We'll also be holding a raffle at 5 PM of donated tying materials and flyfishing gear. Any donations to this raffle are welcome, and 100% of the proceeds will be donated to the Lehigh Gap Nature Center, as a "thank you" for allowing us to use their beautiful facility for this event.

We'll be heading over to Riverwalck's Saloon after the event for drinks and dinner. Directions to Riverwalck's Saloon can be found here:

http://riverwalcksaloon.com/

Let the hostess know you are with Paflyfish, and she'll take you to our tables.

Looking forward to a fun and educational day, meeting new PAFF members, and seeing old friends and fishing buddies!

Please sign up below, and don't forget to list your chosen demo fly. Let the games begin!

GenCon Michael Lohman

I'm in Mike, I'll tie the Andros Special, whichever that may be. I'll start the "other" category. Chris

I’m in as well, Mike. I always really look forward to this event. I appreciate you continuing to keep it going. It is always a very enjoyable and informative day catching up with old friends and always meeting some new ones as well.

I’ll tie a pine squirrel leech. Very simple and quick pattern but a good one. I’ll try to whip something together for the raffle as well.

GenCon. pattern TBD

Blue Heron, bonefish fly

DC410 Pine squirrel leech

GenCon. pattern CDC drowned Sulfur

Blue Heron, bonefish fly

DC410 Pine squirrel leech [/quote]

I'm in, can't wait! This is always a good time. I'm going to tie a wet fly of sorts... :p

I was talking with Jack Fields. I will do a demo, class or just sit and tie if you need. Mike Beckley, DeadGuyFly.

I can give Klinkhammer/ emerger lessons.

Had a great time last year. Count me in again. Fly TBD

FishingCreekEmerger wrote:
I was talking with Jack Fields. I will do a demo, class or just sit and tie if you need. Mike Beckley, DeadGuyFly.

Mike, it would be best if you tied a fly for demo. It can be any type.
We will probably have someone off to the side to work with any newbies who may want to try to tie something. Maybe you could help there as well.

I will add you in,

GenCon Michael Lohman

:

Blue Heron, bonefish fly

DC410 Pine squirrel leech [/quote][/quote]

LV2nymph Wet fly

Tigereye fly TBD

Fishingcreek emerger fly TBD

Ok biot Klinks with perfect hackle it is! Looking forward to it!

I'm in.

Need to figure out what I'm going to tie though...thinking an ISO emerger or nymph or maybe a mini sculpin jig.

Blue Heron, bonefish fly

DC410 Pine squirrel leech [/quote][/quote]

LV2nymph Wet fly

Tigereye BWO flymph

Fishingcreek emerger biot Klink

Bradthe flyfisherman TBD

I plan to come, but for now just as a spectator.
Let me look at my bench and if I change my mind I will add to the list of tiers.
Missed the event last year so looking forward to renewing face /name recognition!!!

acesedgley wrote:
I plan to come, but for now just as a spectator.
Let me look at my bench and if I change my mind I will add to the list of tiers.
Missed the event last year so looking forward to renewing face /name recognition!!!

Come on Darby, tie a fly.

GenCon

To all tyers. It would be great if you all brought one of you flys with you. Jack Fields will be doing the photography again. So if you bring one of your ties with you he can do pics at his leisure instead of waiting for everyone to finish tying their flys.

GenCon Michael Lohman

Jack's pictures from last year were awesome. Looking forward to those images again.

Thank you very much Dave, I really appreciate it. It's a great event and Michael does a fantastic job putting this together and organizing it, any one on the fence about coming/particating should make the journey over. I'll be in from State College.

Back