2020 PFBC Stocking Schedule

Maxi must be excited.

Yo afi

Thanks for that. I was looking at the site several days ago and it hadn't been updated. Maybe with the g'hog's prediction of an early spring things might pick up earlier fishingwise. The last few years, when I had the urge to get out, I would check the site and find a stocking within 5 counties and go help rather than risk getting skunked. At least I would get on moving water and see trouts (in the buckets). By Opening Day, I frequently put more days on the water carrying buckets than rods.

lestrout wrote:
Yo afi

Thanks for that. I was looking at the site several days ago and it hadn't been updated. Maybe with the g'hog's prediction of an early spring things might pick up earlier fishingwise. The last few years, when I had the urge to get out, I would check the site and find a stocking within 5 counties and go help rather than risk getting skunked. At least I would get on moving water and see trouts (in the buckets). By Opening Day, I frequently put more days on the water carrying buckets than rods.

You've been missing out. The trout angling has been terrific this winter.

Brookie shortage, or a shift in philosophy in keeping stocked Brookies out of areas with wild Brookies?

I note many small forested freestoners that used to get Brookies have Rainbows or Browns (or both) substituted this year. If it's intentional, I really don't know what's better...Rainbows and Browns are harder to catch and holdover more frequently than stocked Brookies. Their reproductive success is low, but I imagine it's better than stocked Brookies.

On the other hand, you don't have stocker Brookie genetics finding their way into the wild population for the ones that do survive and figure it out. What's on the list isn't always what shows up on the truck either, but still, I dunno. What do you guys think? Anyone have the low down?

The stocking schedule indicates the lower Lehigh is stocked from FEW to Sandy run (as usual) and From Glen Onoko to the confluence with Mauch Chunck Creek. The section below Glen Onoko is listed as "STOCKED TROUT WATERS OPEN TO YEAR-ROUND FISHING".

This seems self explanatory. However, the details of this regulation say "...no trout may be taken or possessed on these waters during this period (March 1 to opening day of trout season)".

Questions: Am I missing something or is this contradictory? Maybe I am getting the definition of "taken" wrong. Does it mean kept or landed?

I don't men to be dense, but I really do not want to do anything illegal.

Swattie87 wrote:
Brookie shortage, or a shift in philosophy in keeping stocked Brookies out of areas with wild Brookies?

I note many small forested freestoners that used to get Brookies have Rainbows or Browns (or both) substituted this year. If it's intentional, I really don't know what's better...Rainbows and Browns are harder to catch and holdover more frequently than stocked Brookies. Their reproductive success is low, but I imagine it's better than stocked Brookies.

On the other hand, you don't have stocker Brookie genetics finding their way into the wild population for the ones that do survive and figure it out. What's on the list isn't always what shows up on the truck either, but still, I dunno. What do you guys think? Anyone have the low down?

I noticed this too. However, I also noticed some streams that traditionally never got stocked brookies are getting them this year. My guess is that they've reallocated where they go. i.e., what used to get stocked in stream A is now going to stream B. Due to? Maybe use surveys? "Customer" feedback? Likelihood of use (higher C&R in one stream vs the other)? Better temp/habitat/chemistry? Just spitballing.

One thing w/ stocked brookies I found out is that they don't travel well. At least the larger ones. The numbers I was told is something like 50% survival rate from the hatchery to the stream. They apparently don't like truck rides. Maybe they're changing where they get stocked to streams that are closer to the hatcheries they're coming from?

silverfox wrote:
One thing w/ stocked brookies I found out is that they don't travel well. At least the larger ones. The numbers I was told is something like 50% survival rate from the hatchery to the stream. They apparently don't like truck rides. Maybe they're changing where they get stocked to streams that are closer to the hatcheries they're coming from?

I think that's accurate...I've noticed the same thing. Whether or not there's been a deliberate shift to keep them closer to hatcheries I'm not sure.

The camp I'm a member at helps with the preseason stocking on Kettle and Little Kettle in Potter Co. (This is one of the areas I noted not getting Brookies this year, according to the website anyway.) In previous years, the Rainbows and Browns were always doing better than the Brookies when we stocked them. The big, breeder Brookies would often need held upright in the current for a few minutes before they could avoid just being swept downstream. I recall one in particular we could not revive. Not fun for your hands in early April, NC PA water. Higher DO requirements for Brookies the cause?

I think its possible that some of you nice folks may be overthinking this thing with the brook trout..

Didn't Mike mention on a previous thread that this change in brook trout raising/stocking was in process and that the changes are primarily about the gill lice issue?

That would be my guess as the primary driver although I definitely don't know for certain one way or the other.

Yes, I was thinking that gill lice was prompting changes in brook trout stocking.

Why are brookies stocked at all anywhere if half of them dont even make the ride in the truck? Seems like a giant waste

Fly-Swatter wrote:
The stocking schedule indicates the lower Lehigh is stocked from FEW to Sandy run (as usual) and From Glen Onoko to the confluence with Mauch Chunck Creek. The section below Glen Onoko is listed as "STOCKED TROUT WATERS OPEN TO YEAR-ROUND FISHING".

This seems self explanatory. However, the details of this regulation say "...no trout may be taken or possessed on these waters during this period (March 1 to opening day of trout season)".

Questions: Am I missing something or is this contradictory? Maybe I am getting the definition of "taken" wrong. Does it mean kept or landed?

I may be wrong about this but I believe this regulation was created for those folks wishing to fish for OTHER species in Stocked Trout Waters during the Closed Period.

For example, in the past, sucker fisherman were not technically allowed to fish on any Stocked Trout water during prime sucker fishing time, even though they were NOT targeting trout.

However, the ambiguity is that the same verbiage ("...no trout may be taken or possessed on these waters during this period (March 1 to opening day of trout season)" is used on other waters during the same period which should mean, if you catch and immediately release you are OK...

...unless they DON'T want you targeting trout at all.

If I was you, I'd call the WCO for the region and ask for clarification or go sucker fishing. ;-)

Vaughn wrote:
Yes, I was thinking that gill lice was prompting changes in brook trout stocking.

Yes, that is correct.

Fly-Swatter wrote:

It means that during that period, you can fish there, but any trout caught must be released.

Swattie87 wrote:
silverfox wrote:

I think that's accurate...I've noticed the same thing. Whether or not there's been a deliberate shift to keep them closer to hatcheries I'm not sure.

The camp I'm a member at helps with the preseason stocking on Kettle and Little Kettle in Potter Co.

Little Kettle Creek should not be stocked with any kind of hatchery trout.

It would do very well as an unstocked wild trout stream.

troutbert wrote:

Agree. As would Kettle above Ole Bull SP.

The gill lice thing does make sense in reference to the Brookies. I do remember hearing about that, probably on here, but clearly forgot in the meantime. Thanks for reminding.

Swattie87 wrote:
troutbert wrote:

Agree. As would Kettle above Ole Bull SP.

True.

Troutbert & Bamboozle: Thanks!

RLeep2 wrote:
I think its possible that some of you nice folks may be overthinking this thing with the brook trout..

Didn't Mike mention on a previous thread that this change in brook trout raising/stocking was in process and that the changes are primarily about the gill lice issue?

That would be my guess as the primary driver although I definitely don't know for certain one way or the other.

The gill lice thing didn't have anything to do with state hatcheries though. When they discovered the brookies w/ gill lice, they traced it back to a commercial fish farm that some clubs were buying fish from to stock in local streams. I believe it was isolated to a certain area in the state (north central/east?).

I believe the PAFBC forced the clubs to buy stock from farms that were certified as "gill lice free" after that incident and I'm not sure that it's really an issue at this point.

I don't know what causes the larger brookies to not transport well, but it was kind of implied that it might just be their temperament. i.e. that they stress easier than browns/rainbows.

I've toured a few state hatcheries this winter and they've all got good stocks of brook trout. [d] Maybe even slightly more than previous years, so I don't see them reducing the number of brookies stocked. If anything it's the opposite.[/d] Edit. I see that in 2019 they stocked 440,000 brook trout and in 2020 they're stocking 360,000, so they have reduced the number of brook trout.

Back