2018 adult trout stocking schedule available

M

Mike

The 2018 PFBC adult trout stocking schedule has been posted on the PFBC web page. Click on the appropriate button near the top of the page.

Thanks, Mike

I was just thinking about this. The last several years during early spring, I put more days carrying buckets than actually ffishing. I still got to get out, look for bugs, see how the streams had fared through the winter, and I never got skunked.

Tully anglers will notice that the Keystone Select DH Area has been expanded to both Sections and that it is temporarily being stocked earlier this year. Approx. the same number of larger fish will be stocked as last year, but they will be spread over an approx. 4 mile stretch rather than an approx. 2 mile stretch.

Mike,

We'll be float stocking again. Hopefully if the water is high we will again get cooperation with the COE to reduce the flow during stocking. That was done for the fall stocking and it worked out well.

Mike wrote:
Tully anglers will notice that the Keystone Select DH Area has been expanded to both Sections and that it is temporarily being stocked earlier this year. Approx. the same number of larger fish will be stocked as last year, but they will be spread over an approx. 4 mile stretch rather than an approx. 2 mile stretch.

So the number of large fish stays the same as last year but spread over twice the area. And the number of average smaller fish will be decreased in Sec 6 Is that corect?

Think of it this way. The big fish added to Section 06 will replace an equal number, as best as that can be reasonably done, of normal size adult trout. Likewise, the number of normal size adult trout will be increased in Section 07 to match, as best as possible, the number of larger fish moved from Section 07 to 06.

Sounds like Mike is practicing to run for some political office.

outsider wrote:
Mike,
We'll be float stocking again.

Thank you, outsider, and all who volunteer their time to float stock our streams. It really does enhance the fishing experience.

Think of it this way, yes.

Dave_W wrote:
outsider wrote:
Mike,
We'll be float stocking again.

Thank you, outsider, and all who volunteer their time to float stock our streams. It really does enhance the fishing experience.

Thank you. But just put a big S on my chest, and it doesn't stand for superman. This past fall stocking (from Reber's Bridge downstream to the covered bridge) we had 4 guys and 4 float barrels. So I told the other guys I would stock from Reber's Bridge downstream a ways, turn around and drag my barrel upstream, then pick them up at the covered bridge. Stupid, really stupid. I struggled and struggled to drag it. Ended up getting a cortisone shot in my right shoulder. Won't do that again.

Why do you need to float stock the Tully? Just dump the fish in at the dam and let the water rip!!!! Joking of course :hammer: :hammer:

HopBack wrote:
Why do you need to float stock the Tully? Just dump the fish in at the dam and let the water rip!!!! Joking of course :hammer: :hammer:

Well, that joke is partially true. A "normal flow" for the Tully is 120-150+- cfs. Last year there were times when the flow topped 2,500 cfs. And where did some of the big Select Trout end up? In the Schuylkill River, according to the local Waterways Patrolman (or whatever they are called know). That really intrigues me, as they had to pass over the low-head dam at Gring's Mill. And that dam is very high. WTH?

To be honest I am not a fan of the Keystone Select DH at all. I could care less if the fish I catch is 8 inches or 18 inches. I caught two of those "trophy" fish last year and it was like reeling in a log. Ive had carp fight better. Couple that with the fact that now there are less fish put in seems like a bad plan. But that is just my opinion and I'm just one guy on the stream.

Opie, ignoring size and just thinking of numbers, the total numbers of trout stocked in each section will not change from last year's numbers.

Okay thanks Mike. It was my impression that when the bigger fish were put in section 6 this year the total number of fish wouldbe reduced. I stand corrected.

Opie, in general I agree with you. I really don't care if it is a big fish or a small fish. But catching one of those big fish may make someone's day, week, or year. It is a subjective topic. Personally, I would like my son to catch one, as he has had a rough time in his life the past few years.

outsider wrote:
Opie, in general I agree with you. I really don't care if it is a big fish or a small fish. But catching one of those big fish may make someone's day, week, or year. It is a subjective topic. Personally, I would like my son to catch one, as he has had a rough time in his life the past few years.

I can appreciate that Outsider, I wish him the best on the stream and in life. As I said it's just my opinion and I am aware others may not feel the same. Either way I love the Tully and when the weather gets above freezing I'll be out there slinging bugs regardless of the stocking policy. Best wishes!

Opie, I love the Tully as well, fortunate to live 15 minutes away. Hope to see you there.

Some of those bigger Browns stocked in Section 07 are likely to be on the move downstream, so I recommend not passing up the "bait area" if the DH area gets more crowded than you like. The bait area is also directly stocked in fall, so there will be holdovers from the fall and possibly some from last spring, given the fairly wet summer in 2017. Remember that the bait area is a special reg area too..."stocked trout water open to year around fishing."

Mike,

For whatever reason, I've ignored the AT water in the past few years. There's some really nice water there, and someone I know does quite well there.

Back