2016 LJRA stream bank clean up

nymphingmaniac

nymphingmaniac

Will be held saturday April 9th. Staging area is at the Spruce Creek church. Meet at 8:30-8:45 AM. Gloves, bags, water and snacks provided. A few people with waders are required, but most assignments will not involve going into the water. Muck style boots would be fine. Visit http://www.littlejuniata.org for more details.
free lunch will be provided. Many people fish after lunch (about 1PM).

Bump. This Saturday!

I'll be there with a guest.

Nice fish Dave, who took the photo?

Calling for an inch or two of snow... yay.

http://www.littlejuniata.org/little/

Seems the weather won't cooperate.

I emailed Bill Anderson yesterday and he said that it was taking place regardless of weather no matter what, and now the website is saying postponed?

hmm...

yes, it is postponed Until April 16th. yesterday AM they were calling for 1-2 inches that would have fallen mostly Friday night. They then shifted the forecast so that most would fall between late friday night until Saturday afternoon with blowing snow. They increased the prediction to 3-5 inches last night-early this morning. They backed off on the accumulations again this afternoon, but snow cover is almost assured and a call had to be made. There are a lot of people and groups involved.
It would be too risky to have volunteers, many who are not fishermen who climb up an down riverbanks regularly, conducting the clean up under these conditions. Furthermore, the trash would be covered. Keep checking the website for updates

I emailed Bill Anderson yesterday and he said that it was taking place regardless of weather no matter what, and now the website is saying postponed?

hmm...

The forecast got worse, and it was probably thought about a little more and they realized that if there is 2-3" down and still snowing, then all the trash is gonna be covered in snow which makes locating it difficult, driving could be a problem, and it may not be safe for everybody navigating steep streambanks. I'm glad it was rescheduled, doing the cleanup in the expected conditions would be difficult and probably not as productive as it could be.

That's too bad. And event like this takes a lot of planning and coordination.
On the other hand, I think it was the right call. If they really do get 3-5 inches of snow - that would make things miserable for everyone.

The trash being covered in snow was my first concern that's why I emailed him to begin with, would not be to productive looking for snow covered garbage. Too bad it's rescheduled on the "opening day", will Probobly loose a lot of people because of it.

It's this Saturday. I will be there!!!

Come for the work out stay for the hot lunch and fishing afterward with Lil J lovers and junkies.

Back