20 of the Hottest New Flies for 2015 - Web Article for Discussion

D

DanL

Sorry if this should be in the Media forum or elsewhere, but just saw this come across the Facebook feed and thought I'd share:

http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/gink-gasoline-fly-patterns/20-of-the-hottest-new-flies-for-2015/

I found "Jakes Gulp Beetle Peacock Black" to be kind of silly. That looks very similar to one of the first patterns I learned because it was easy and just foam and peacock. Is the indicator foam enough to call it your own fly design? Just an excuse to get your name in a fly catalog? No idea. Since materials aren't listed, I could be missing something obvious.

I also think that Carnage Hopper is getting a bit silly. I think i read somewhere that out west, everyone is going back to the classic hopper patterns (like Joe's Hopper) because the fish are getting wise to the new foam patterns. Can't remember where I read it though but maybe some boardmembers have personal experience with these foam hoppers...

I like the Carp flies, but they'd probably take anything if you got it in front of their mouths without spooking them...

Yea I agree with the jakes beetle.. lol I have been tying and catching fish on that since .. Well when I first started tying and fishing.

I am a big hopper guy though so I can appreciate a well designed hopper. I definitely don't fish out west but I do feel like if the fish are on to all of these foam hoppers then they must have been onto the classic as well! I bet just about anyone that has bought a hopper pattern probably started with a joe or daves hoppers

The innovation in salt and warmwater flies has been amazing the last few years . I plan on tying a few of the flies on this list the two main ones are the Schmidterbug and the Bushwacker . I am already tying the game changer , Not sure how the beatle got on the list I'm pretty sure Orvis has carried that exact fly for years .

The carnage hopper looks awesome. I've been using rainys grand hopper as my go to fly for the last 2 months and doing well with it. Might be time to switch it up a little.

I've been dying to try a game changer since I saw them last winter and still haven't. I need to get on that too.

I think a lot of those flies have been around for quite awhile in one form or another so I don't know why they would be called the hottest flies for 2015

Safe to say that it is mostly marketing. Take a look at many shops "hot flies" and you will notice that a large number of them are some contract tie from Umpqua, Idylwilde, MFC, etc. that is basically a pimped out pheasant tail or something similar. I love to tie new patterns but most who have been fly fishing for a few years have their favorites and catch just as many fish as those fishing each year's hottest flies.

Sorry to be cynical, and to be fair the Game Changer does look pretty neat. Its designer, Blaine Chocklett, is a super nice guy and is really a driving force behind fly fishing for musky.

Not a bad list, def some marketing hype in there. Dan I wish what you said about carp was true but it's not

DanL wrote:
I like the Carp flies, but they'd probably take anything if you got it in front of their mouths without spooking them...

Codym21 wrote:
Not a bad list, def some marketing hype in there. Dan I wish what you said about carp was true but it's not

Interesting. What are some winning carp patterns and how do you choose which patterns to use at what time and place for the golden ones?

What is the point of tying CDC over a big piece of foam?

The_Sasquatch wrote:
What is the point of tying CDC over a big piece of foam?

All the pro-spec guys use CDC, obviously.

Afish,
The main rule is know what the fish are eating(forage). Every body of water is different, Some bodies of water fish may feed on mainly a crayfish diet others it could be damsel flies,. I personally like the carpnasty in rust orange and Ahopes Damsel fly produce the best for me.

codym21 wrote:
Afish,
The main rule is know what the fish are eating(forage). Every body of water is different, Some bodies of water fish may feed on mainly a crayfish diet others it could be damsel flies,. I personally like the carpnasty in rust orange and Ahopes Damsel fly produce the best for me.

#21 Carpnasty - http://mvff.tripod.com/Fly_tying/Flies/HISES_CARP_NASTY.pdf

#22 Ahopes Damsel fly - could not find...

Different strokes... There is not one fly there that I would enjoy tying, but I think it is great that folks enjoy experimenting.
Mike.

Adam Hopes damsel fly is what you should Google. He is a local.

I have had a lot of success with the beetle "Jakes..." even without the legs. On Penns, on Codorus, on Spring and on the Gunpowder.

Afish its on carp pro if your looking for it, I haven't seen a tying recipe for it.You should probably get some so you can catch your favorite species more often ;-)

some exepnsive flies in that line up - anything by EP is $$$ - $7 a pop, blane chocklett the same....

Back