2 bodies pulled from Allegheny River

Acristickid

Acristickid

Tragic. A father and son fishing along shore have been missing since Sunday night. Vehicle still there and their gear was on the bank. No sure what happened- maybe high water from rains?

Presumed missing fisherman

Unfortunate. Atleast they found them I guess.

I went to high school in Lower Burrell and we spent a lot of our teens river fishing right along the same stretch of the river there. It gets nasty down there when it rains. The kids my age, but I dont recognize the name.

An open case in my opinion,, were they wading?

Eerie. If there was high water it's possible that one was caught in it and the other pursued. It would be interesting to know how far away from their equipment they were when found.

Whatever the case it's horrible, and I wouldn't want to think of it, but if there was a violent threat they would have probably bared marks or would have been robbed.

How would high water take them but not their gear?

My first thought when I heard this : with the hot weather, maybe one - or both - decided to go swimming.
They may may never solve this one, though.

because one could have been swept and the other went in for him. I had a bad fall last year getting a water temp, leaving my gear behind. You never know.

I've stepped into some very soft spots in that river. Soft enough that I would've been in trouble if I didn't throw myself backwards towards the bank. Same with drop offs, loose gravel, etc. I've had several close calls whilst wading. Conversely a lot of people swim that river and never have a problem.

I don't think they'll figure this one out.

The biggest issue is they were fishing right below the dam #4. And with the rain we've been getting here, the rivers up a pretty good bit. Theres a USGS gauge on the Natrona side of the dam and its jumped significantly in the fast few days

DavidFin wrote:
It would be interesting to know how far away from their equipment they were when found.

I believe the bodies were pulled out right above the Tarentum bridge, which is a little over a mile down river from where they showed the vehicle being parked in Braeburn.

I used to swim there as a kid. I grew up about a mile away. We used to call it "Braeburn Beach." Wouldn't be surprised if one went in for a swim because of the hot weather. One got into trouble. The other tried to help and didn't make it. We will never know.

They think they have this figured out now.
Looks like the father waded out into the river - with hip boots on - and I guess fell, or got sucked into the current somehow.
Then the son went in to rescue him.
Tragic indeed!

Have made rules with my kayak buddys about ropes not for the person who falls in but for the person who tries to save them.

Back