1wt Rod Options

PocketWater

PocketWater

Recently I purchased an Orvis Hydros 1wt reel as it was on sale. I have been keeping my eye out for a 1wt rod to partner up with it. So far the only 1wt rod that I have found that seems like it would be a good match was this:

http://www.lelandfly.com/Red-Truck-Fly-Rods/Micro-Creek_2/Red-Truck-Diesel-1-wt-7ft-9in-Fly-Rod-4-Piece-179-4.html

Everything else out there I am seeing is in the 2wt size. Anybody know of any other options that aren't super expensive, or that can give an opinion on the Red Truck rod?

The only rods I know of are the TFO 6'9" Lefty Kreh Finesse Series
and the Orvis 7'6" Superfine Carbon.

The TXL-F is being discontinued.

I've never met anyone who didn't like the Sage TXL series of rods.
I played around with the TXL-F 1710 a couple of months ago fishing the morning midge hatch.... Sweet rod....
I do own the 4wt version.

PocketWater wrote:
Recently I purchased an Orvis Hydros 1wt reel as it was on sale. I have been keeping my eye out for a 1wt rod to partner up with it. So far the only 1wt rod that I have found that seems like it would be a good match was this:

http://www.lelandfly.com/Red-Truck-Fly-Rods/Micro-Creek_2/Red-Truck-Diesel-1-wt-7ft-9in-Fly-Rod-4-Piece-179-4.html

Everything else out there I am seeing is in the 2wt size. Anybody know of any other options that aren't super expensive, or that can give an opinion on the Red Truck rod?

The Hydros I model reel is rated for a 1-3wt rod. This is just a range of recommended weights. The reel should work well on most light weight rods in that range, not just a 1wt.

Try to cast a few rods before you buy. Also, bring the reel with you and see if it balances well on the rod (not too tip or butt heavy). Good luck.

Look for Orvis Superfine Touch rods. I have several and many shops have them on sale. Orvis replaced them with the Carbon Series.

Very nice full flex rods that are a dream on small creeks. Even in the lighter weights they have a lot of strength and great feel.

I have a 2 and 4 wt and they are some of my favorites.

FW

Thanks for all of the great information fellow fly fishers. I knew I could put it on a 2 or 3 wt but know I will only use this on small brookie streams. I wanted to go as small as possible. Is there a big difference between a 1wt up to a 2wt?

Last time I was out I went with a friend that had a 1wt Sage SPL Center Axis and he let me use it for a little while. That thing was so fun to cast. So smooth.

No, the smaller the line designations, the less of a difference. By that I mean that there's a larger difference between a 5 & 6wt, than there is between a 2 & 3wt.

Fwiw, I can't imagine a 1wt being enjoyable on a small stream, unless it was overlined. I like having some mass to load the rod.

"Is there a big difference between a 1wt up to a 2wt?" great question. no.

and there are many more 2wt than 1wt rods to choose from. 2 wt rods are much cheaper and more available used than 1 wt rods. (try putting "great two weight shootout" in google.. 5 yr old article, so good guide to used gear).

and you're probably going to use a 2wt or 3wt line anyhow, so you may not really need a 1wt rod. (you might find out whether the 1wt rod you enjoyed casting actually had a 1wt line on it?)

btw, I am a huge fan of the 6'9" tfo 1w rod for small brookie streams. on small streams I overline the tfo 1wt with 3wt lines. ez casting to 30+ft w/ a small or med dry fly.

any light wt rod is not good for big fish, big wind, or wghtd flies... they are good for having more fun on small acidic brook-trout-only streams imho. lghwt gear is just more fun on small streams, that simple. not good for the bow and arrow cast but that's a last resort move for me.

a steal of a deal in the used market for a lghtwt rod: 7'3" echo carbon 2 wt, sometimes $100 on ebay. great caster w 2wt or 3wt line. also the cabelas 6'6" PT or PT+ 2wt.

I have owned a lot of 1wt rods, but never really used 1wt lines, since I have them for small streams and small fish and want to overline them for short casts.

lefty kreh on overlining for small streams: "when fishing where distance is very short and only a few feet of fly line are outside the rod tip, it is important to switch to a line that is heavier. For example, if you were using a rod designed for a four-weight line and had to cast most of the time at targets less than 20 feet, placing a five- or even a six-weight line on the rod would let you load the rod, and casting would be much easier."

same idea: a 2wt rod w/ a 3wt line works great for me on small streams. I'd use a lot of 1wt rods w/ a 2wt or 3wt line.

for ex., allowing for six feet of rod and seven feet of leader, a 25 ft cast involves only 12 ft of fly line. I find over lining works well on brookie streams....

I have owned a sage TXL 7'10" 1wt since 2006 very nice small to medium size stream fly rod. I've caught trout up to 18". A blast of a rod. I over line it for small streams and cast 1wt dt at distance, usually fish it to 50 feet or less. Excels at summer tirco fishing.It is paired with a CFO 1. wanted to get the 000 but cast the rod series till I found the right weight for me to cast and fish.

I had a TXL (363-3). While it was nice to fish dry flies on small, tight, streams. It was a one trick pony. It didn't have any power in it (50' was about maxed) and I learned to hate 3 piece rods.

I traded it for a gun.

k-bob wrote:
"Is there a big difference between a 1wt up to a 2wt?" great question. no.

and there are many more 2wt than 1wt rods to choose from. 2 wt rods are much cheaper and more available used than 1 wt rods. (try putting "great two weight shootout" in google.. 5 yr old article, so good guide to used gear).

and you're probably going to use a 2wt or 3wt line anyhow, so you may not really need a 1wt rod. (you might find out whether the 1wt rod you enjoyed casting actually had a 1wt line on it?)

btw, I am a huge fan of the 6'9" tfo 1w rod for small brookie streams. on small streams I overline the tfo 1wt with 3wt lines. ez casting to 30+ft w/ a small or med dry fly.

any light wt rod is not good for big fish, big wind, or wghtd flies... they are good for having more fun on small acidic brook-trout-only streams imho. lghwt gear is just more fun on small streams, that simple. not good for the bow and arrow cast but that's a last resort move for me.

a steal of a deal in the used market for a lghtwt rod: 7'3" echo carbon 2 wt, sometimes $100 on ebay. great caster w 2wt or 3wt line. also the cabelas 6'6" PT or PT+ 2wt.

I have owned a lot of 1wt rods, but never really used 1wt lines, since I have them for small streams and small fish and want to overline them for short casts.

lefty kreh on overlining for small streams: "when fishing where distance is very short and only a few feet of fly line are outside the rod tip, it is important to switch to a line that is heavier. For example, if you were using a rod designed for a four-weight line and had to cast most of the time at targets less than 20 feet, placing a five- or even a six-weight line on the rod would let you load the rod, and casting would be much easier."

same idea: a 2wt rod w/ a 3wt line works great for me on small streams. I'd use a lot of 1wt rods w/ a 2wt or 3wt line.

for ex., allowing for six feet of rod and seven feet of leader, a 25 ft cast involves only 12 ft of fly line. I find over lining works well on brookie streams....

K-Bob,
I did find that article and that is why I started asking about the 2wt rods. Thanks for all the great information. Much appreciated.

Likewise to everyone else...thanks for all the information. Looking forward to chasing brookies on a smaller setup next year. This year I was using a 5wt, and although it did the job, I look forward to going lighter next year.

I'll try to post with less edits than Bob....should be fairly easy to do. LOL.

"No offense intended" (usually precedes something that someone find offending)....... I see a 1, 0, 00 or 000 rod as a novelty item with little practical use. As brookie put it, a one trick pony. What can a 6'6" 1wt do that makes it so much more awesome than a 6'6" 3wt? Just asking.

With that said, looking on the internet yesterday, found txl 1or 0 weight on craigslist for $250-ish which is pretty dam good. If that's how you want to roll, therea an option.

Good luck

kray, yes, a 1 wt or 2 wt is a one trick pony. trick is being more fun on small streams than heavier gear, at least for me. what more could you want? :)

BTW since you asked about a 6'6" 3wt, I had an echo carbon one, as well as the 6'3" txl mentioned in this thread. I find the 2wts to be more fun on small streams.

Buy a 3wt and find bigger fish, problem solved. LOL

"Buy a 3wt and find bigger fish, problem solved. LOL"

beauty of 2wt: more fun casting and catching on small acidic mountain streams. and you can bring em in as fast as you can with heavier gear. the 2wt may even transmit less shock to small fish at hook set than say a 6wt.

so imho 2wts are one trick - or one type of crick - ponies, yes. depending on the casting space, I might bring a 6'6" (cabela pt), 6'9" (tfo 1wt/2wt), or 7'3" (echo) 2wt to a small brookie stream.

I dont like 2wts under 6'6", even small streams may have a few bigger pools or open spaces where you want a 35' cast.

btw, I am a completely unschooled 'tomahawk chop' type fly caster, and 35'+ casts with med dry flies are ez with any of the above rods overlined w/ 3w line. if I can do it. .. ...

(have sometimes fished with people who wonder if you can actually cast a 2wt. hand em my 7'3" echo, they land a dry fly 35' away...)

I do sometimes fish for bigger fish at greater length, and dont use a 2w there. bigger fish, bigger wind, not the place for a 2w imho.

The Helios I reel I got is for 1 or 2 wt. so I think I will look into what you were saying K-bob, and try to overline it with 3wt line for some added casting ability, on the 2wt rod option.

I own and fish a St. Croix 7' 6" "Avid" 2 weight. I tried it on small streams and although it worked OK it did not muscle the bigger, bushy flies very well. I prefer my Loomis GL3 6' 6" 3 weight or Sage TXL 7' 4 weight. The 2 weight and I assume the 1 weights are more specialized tools than the heavier 3 or 4 weights. The 2 weight "Avid however is my favorite rod for fishing small flies( ie. size 18/20 BWO to size 24 tricos) over selective difficult limestone trout.

WTT: "I own and fish a St. Croix 7' 6" "Avid" 2 weight. I tried it on small streams and although it worked OK it did not muscle the bigger, bushy flies very well."

yeah I agree big flies (and also too much wind) is a limitation of 2wts. I usually fish 2wts in forested brookie streams, not on more open and windy bigger waters. I also tend to use #14 foam body yaeger caddis type dry flies, not really big and brushy ones.

http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=product&se=28062

Imho, these yeager flies give you a lot of floating power with less brushiness. Better to cast them than bigger brushier flies under branches, etc. Brookies of course are opportunistic feeders, often living in acidic water where food is less common. Doubt the fly type matters very much to them. :)

WTT: "The 2 weight "Avid however is my favorite rod for fishing small flies( ie. size 18/20 BWO to size 24 tricos) over selective difficult limestone trout."

I can see why a 2wt might be good for spooky wild browns... lighter line so less "lining the fish"/scaring them with the fly line as it makes its wave forward on the surface. I have that avid and like it, but often want a shorter rod for brookies given the limited casting space on small streams. I like the avid for wild browns on a little bit bigger water.

(btw, I see from some reciepts that some nice 2wts are out there for not too much $. I bought a new closeout 7'3" echo carbon 2wt for $130, and a new tfo 6'9" 1 wt (really a 2wt) for $170, in the last few years. also a 6'6" cabelas PT 2wt (made in us, probably by st croix) on ebay for $90. I'm going to overline anyhow (I like rio gold 3wt lines), so I haven't found more expensive 1wts to be worth dealing with in most cases versus the 2wts.)

super detailed note. I have the original echo carbon 2wt. they revised it a few years back. version 1 has uplocking rings to hold the reel that are conventional/ solid rings with no open spaces in the rings to save weight. version 2 has uplocking reel seat rings that are reduced in weight by having open spaces in them. see far left hand side of image here, this is version 2:

http://www.farmingtonriver.com/carbon/?sort=pricedesc

version 1:

http://tinyurl.com/poc3qfw

I have never seen a version 2 echo 2wt, but if it does have this lighter reel seat hardware, I might like that change. imho the slightly lighter reel hardware would probably make the rod balance a bit better with a lot of lightweight reels.

Back