1st time Muddler Minnows

V

villeman

What do you guys think of my muddler minnows. Never tied them before. Sorry the picture isn't the greatest.

They look good. What size are they?

I like to make the head a little bigger, just so I can curse at them when they refuse to sink.... that, and I think it gives a more sculpiny look.

Otherwise, great ties. They'll catch fish... provided you can get the damn things to sink.

I think the one is an 8. It was a couple weeks ago, so I'm not too sure.

JayL, I'll let you know how I make out. I've been pretty busy, so it's tough to get out.

They look good to me.

When I took Bob Clouser's beginners tying class, he passed on the tip that you don't want to pack the head too tight. It could be that water flowing through the deer hair will make a sound, at that can be a little more effective. Or perhaps the deer hair moves more when it is not packed too tight.

I don't like the deer hair for a head, I like to use rabbit fur, loop dubbing style. I wacked 7 and missed more than ten on one last Thursday. Tore the tinsel body off it and they still hit it.

Roman Moser has new "snap heads" that are for muddlers.

They are pretty neat, tunsten, but are pricy. (like $15 for 10)

Well, I tried out my newly created muddler minnows last night on the Conestoga River. The bass absolutely loved them! I caught countless rock bass, and one smallie. I fished them sort of like a popper on top , but then after catching a few fish, they didn't float anymore. I fished them subsurface and still caught fish. No real big fish but still had a great time.

Maurice,

Do you have a picture of that fly, I'd like to see it?

Its a very versatile fly..I think they were actually meant to be subsurface like a sculpin or minnow but I rarely see them tied weighted...they make a good Hopper pattern for the hot days too...I don't think you can fish them wrong.

Under wrap body with lead when tying
after you make a beautiful muddler to prove you can then take scissors and chop up head a little,roll fly around between palms,pluck out some of deer hair wing,roll in mud streamside and you have a fly worth using-MUCH,MUCH better than the catch the angler types in fly shop bin-sparse is good.split turkey feather has more action-
Muddlers make great 2 fly streamer rigs.Use to get many doubles on rainbows on the Missouri and Madison that way.Fun to say the least.

Back