1400 Medalist on SALE...... Holy crap Gary!

krayfish

krayfish

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Bargain-Cave/Fly-Fishing/Rods-Reels-Line%7C/pc/105591780/c/105763680/sc/105764580/Pflueger174-1400-Series-Medalist-Fly-Reels/728549.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fbargain-cave-fly-fishing-rods-reels-line%2F_%2FN-1102797%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_105764580%3FWTz_l%3DUnknown%253Bcat105591780%253Bcat105763680&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat105591780%3Bcat105763680%3Bcat105764580

Don't fear what you don't understand. I do need a 1492 with a modern reel foot, though. Wonder if I'm driving by a Cabela's any time soon...?

These are click and pawl, correct?
If so, how loud is the click?

The 1492 is click check, the 1494 and up has a proper drag inside it.

The 1492 is non-reversible, RHW only. There's two pawls inside, you can choose either one or both to adjust tension. Its got a pleasing enough click.

The 1494 and up has a loud incoming, and a louder outgoing click.

The 1500 series adds rim control.

The line ratings they suggest are whacked as they haven't been adjusted in like 70 years and are still rated for old silk lines. You have been warned.

Dear Board,

To expand on gfen's remarks about the line capacity on Pflueger Medalists here are some notes based on reels and lines I currently have in my possession.

The 1494 will hold the following:

A full 90' DT5 line - no backing and no room at all for any backing. You can get maybe 10 to 15 yards of backing on with an 82' line if it isn't one of the heavier than marked "beginner' lines.

A full Cortland Sylk DT5 line - easily holds 40 to 50 yards of 20# test Micron or it's equivalent

A full 90' WF7 line - same terms and conditions as with the Cortland Sylk DT5

A full 90' WF5 line - you can get the line and about 75 - 85 yards of 20# test Micron on it.

In easy terms that compare lines of the same weight and overall length in DT and WF a DT line occupies approximately 20 - 25% more space on the reel spool regardless of the reel and spool you are talking about.

The Medalist's were pretty decent reels in their day. The current versions still work like the old ones and the spools are interchangeable within the same reel size, I just don't care for the feel of the newer ones as much. I know it's a matter of perception, but the old ones feel inexpensive and rugged whereas the new imported versions feel cheap and chintzy to me.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

TimMurphy wrote:
I know it's a matter of perception, but the old ones feel inexpensive and rugged whereas the new imported versions feel cheap and chintzy to me.

Perception is reality. I won't tell people who say this as being wrong, but I don't share this view.

I've got models from the '30s, '50s, '70s, late '80s and now. Frankly, the AK model, current production, Chinese model is just as stout as the NIB late '70s American production (DA stamp) models I have.

That said, there's a pretty heavy belief in what Tim says. The last generation (DA code) American models fetch as much or more for user condition as new ones off the boat.

However, the reels are the same from all generations. The only exceptions are prior to 1958 drag plates (non-reversible) and prior to 1938 click check systems.

I gotta agree w/ Gfen. I recently gave my dad an old Berkley glass rod and ordered him a new Medalist for it. It seemed just as durable as the one from the 80s that I have laying around.

Now, that ain't no streamside test, but I thought, "Man I should get a new one."

Depending on WHEN in the '80s, it may have already been offshored. Under the reel foot, on the frame, is the model number with a two letter date code, ie 1494xx.

DA=Made in America.
CJ=Made in Japan.
AK=Made in China.

Not sure when production moved from Japan to China.

Some more information if anyone is interested..........

http://onepfoot.com/backingcapacity.htm

Seriously, this dude is a walking encyclopedia of Medalist history. Amazing.

those are great prices for great reels, but I have enough medalists already! although, be nice to pick up a couple just for the spare parts!

gfen wrote:
TimMurphy wrote:
I know it's a matter of perception, but the old ones feel inexpensive and rugged whereas the new imported versions feel cheap and chintzy to me.

Perception is reality. I won't tell people who say this as being wrong, but I don't share this view.

I've got models from the '30s, '50s, '70s, late '80s and now. Frankly, the AK model, current production, Chinese model is just as stout as the NIB late '70s American production (DA stamp) models I have.

I think it has a lot to do wth their paint jobs. The paint is much heavier on the imported Medalists and it makes the metal parts appear to be cut less precisely. I mean, they probably are, but the heavy paint makes it look worse than it is.

Kev

gfen wrote:

Don't fear what you don't understand. I do need a 1492 with a modern reel foot, though. Wonder if I'm driving by a Cabela's any time soon...?

Reading via Hamburg tomorrow morning.

I was thinking, but its the 1494 only, I want a 1492. Eventually, I'll find one in the bargin cave.

Back