11 foot Nymph Rod?

JerryCoviello

JerryCoviello

I was teaching a fly tying class last night and the subject of 11 foot nymph rod came up.

I use a 9 foot rod either 4wt or 6wt for all my fishing when the stream width will allow it. I can dry fly, nymph, and streamer fish with it.

Do you really need a rod to be 2 feet longer just for nymph fishing? Do you have to carry another rod with you if a hatch comes off?

I never had an issue with high sticking with a 9 foot rod for nymph fishing.

Just my thoughts

more a case of what we want-the pea brains we are targeting aren't judging us by the size of our rods.TETO

JerryCoviello wrote:
I was teaching a fly tying class last night and the subject of 11 foot nymph rod came up.

I use a 9 foot rod either 4wt or 6wt for all my fishing when the stream width will allow it. I can dry fly, nymph, and streamer fish with it.

Do you really need a rod to be 2 feet longer just for nymph fishing? Do you have to carry another rod with you if a hatch comes off?

I never had an issue with high sticking with a 9 foot rod for nymph fishing.

Just my thoughts

I agree an 11' nymphing rod is just an 11' nymphing rod.

A 10' rod that casts well for all types of fishing can be very useful.

There are a bunch of threads on this subject. Here are a couple:

10' Rod

10' Rod 2

I have a Hardy StreamFlex 11 footer in 3 wt. The additional length is a benefit when czych Nymphing especially when fishing multiple current seams. While not my preferred dry fly outfit, it is more than adequate should a hatch arise.

Fly rods are like tools. It's like saying you need a hammer for the job. Well do you need a tack hammer, a claw hammer or a sledge hammer? You can probably do 3 jobs all with a claw hammer but it won't do them all well.

An 11 foot nymph rod is a very specific tool for a very specific purpose. If you're looking to high stick in places with a bunch of seams then it's probably the right tool. The extra length helps with reach as well as line control. Many of the competition anglers out there are using 10 and 11 foot rods.

I love my 10.5' 3wt cortland. 250 bucks, and an incredible tool for contact nymphing. If your interested in ESN at all I would recommend the cortland, inexpensive and still one of the better nymph rods, balances well, light, sensitive tip, and stiff butt for fish fighting, Its a fantastic nymphing tool. Don't be scared to throw dries with it either. It will, and surprisingly well.

I use the 10 foot 3wt Echo Shadow II for 80 percent of my fishing and I have the competition kit that extends the rod to 11 feet if need be.

Have tried a variety of 10' 3wt rods due to an arm paralysis problem....I have settled on 2 rods.... the Redington Hydrogen 10' is a great rod. List is $299 but hopefully the big boxes will be discounting. On the higher end.... the new Orvis Recon 10' 3wt is incredible.... it does everything (just ask George Daniels) . List is $425 so I probably have to tell my wife her car needed a lot more than our dealer initially quoted. The Redington does have an 11' 3wt. (same price)

Frankly, the Echo 2 with the competition kit is also a great rod. And the professional guys are also saying that the Syndicate 11' 2wt is also great. Don't know about dries '.

The important fact, gentlemen, is that you love the sport....some of
the best moments in my life have been on a stream with rod in hand

Now, does anyone want to let me know what nymphs they use?

Have tried a variety of 10' 3wt rods due to an arm paralysis problem....I have settled on 2 rods.... the Redington Hydrogen 10' is a great rod. List is $299 but hopefully the big boxes will be discounting. On the higher end.... the new Orvis Recon 10' 3wt is incredible.... it does everything (just ask George Daniels) . List is $425 so I probably have to tell my wife her car needed a lot more than our dealer initially quoted. The Redington does have an 11' 3wt. (same price)

Frankly, the Echo 2 with the competition kit is also a great rod. And the professional guys are also saying that the Syndicate 11' 2wt is also great. Don't know about dries '.

The important fact, gentlemen, is that you love the sport....some of
the best moments in my life have been on a stream with rod in hand

Now, does anyone want to let me know what nymphs they use?

I know the 10 & 11ft rods are pretty specific . But take this into account . Some older guys i know prefer a light 10 and 11ft rods when nymphing on account that most of there time fishing is October thru April and longer rods allow them to reach seams without wading to much deeper or getting colder .

Agree that long rods are good for nymphing and I use a 10' from time to time. But if 11' is better than 9' then why not go to 12'....or better yet 15 feet?

At some point, diminishing returns and eventually more disadvantages than advantages will set in. Different conditions will act as variables in this debate....however, in my opinion, many fly rods are already longer than ideal for many of the small to medium sized streams I fish.

An 11' fly rod will work well for some nymphing applicatiions, especially in larger rivers but there will be trade offs.
Longer isn't always better. Count me a skeptic of the long rod craze.

Back