10wt ?????

daman1277

daman1277

I just ordered this rod from cabelas in the 10wt model. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-TLr-Fly-Rods/1309027.uts?WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104793480%3Bcat104721480. My question is does anybody have a 10wt reel they suggest or one I can use to see if I like it.

I assume you picked up the 9ft 10 wt ? and you want if for saltwater ?

If so, you want something light , non corrosive and cheap.

light because you'll be casting a relatively heavy rod and stripping all day,

non corrosive, because of the salt,

cheap because you'll need 2 or 3 reels and probably 4 spools total - floating line, intermediate, slow sinking and 350grain fast sinker.

after 9 years of fly fishing the salt i've found one reel that does all that - the graphite composite Loop CLW, or XACT as its now called.

at $130 for the 8-12 reel and $60 for the spool, i have now three reels and seven spools - adding full spey, mid spey and skagit lines for my 1309-4 double hander, all on the same reels.

it weighs about half of a pfleuger, orvis or SA 8/9/10 fly reels with a wider arbor and faster retrieve.

they are great for the rocks,sand and shingle beaches as they don't scratch noticeably and rust obviously. just a quick wash after use and your good to go.

the drag is as sound as a pound, i have landed stripers to 31" on the beach with no problem, though as a disclaimer i did fail to stop a fish estimated in the high 40"'s sightfishing on the cape two summers back LOL.

nothing better for the beach regardless of cost imho.

If ya got it for toothies I suggest a 8wt sz reel. And it don't have to be a great 1 either. Because no musky is gonna get ya into your backing.

Yeah I was thinking an 8 or 9 wt reel. But since it is my only rod I have heavier than a 5wt would love to try my hand at steelhead with so want a large arbor reel

If you're looking at great lakes steelhead, then you're rarely going to get into your backing. I've never seen mine in PA, but a few times in NY. Get a nice machined reel with plenty of backing capacity just in case, but don't spend an arm and a leg. You can always sell it later and upgrade, but don't buy something you're not happy with just because the price tag was cheap.

daman1277 wrote:
Yeah I was thinking an 8 or 9 wt reel. But since it is my only rod I have heavier than a 5wt would love to try my hand at steelhead with so want a large arbor reel

If you bought a 10wt rod then you want an appropriate reel to match. Yes that rod will cast an 8 or 9wt line, but not very well. It's intended for a 10wt line and a 10 wt reel will help load the appropriate amount of backing and line for a 10wt.

A 10wt rod is a good rod for salmon and saltwater. Pa steelhead are typically caught using 6 or 7wt rods. Not saying you can't do it, but it's a bit too much.

Well really on a tight tight budget was lucky to get the 10wt. Guess I could get lighter leader and tippet for steelhead

Ryan, he's over-armed for steelies (meaning he has more power than he needs), but will it really affect his ability to fish the waters? Is splash down an issue for steelhead? This is a serious question, I never fished for steelhead before, but my understanding is presentation isn't as important as it is for say, brown trout.

if you are not going to the beach alot or fishing musky alot, i suggest take it back and trade for a 8 wt. you will be way over gunned for fishing steel..10 wt is built for big flies and big leaders, you go light on the tippet and leader you'll be snapping them from the power of the rod..

yeah - i wouldn't use a stick like that for Salmon either. As sandfly said a 10wt is way too stiff, in casting terms its a broom stick.

tell em it was a gift for someone else and you bought the wrong size.cabelas customer service did that for my wife when she bought me a fishing pole rack instead of a fly rod rack.

Yea then you can buy my buddies Sage 8wt. Lol :)

I'm a fan of Lamson Konic great reel for the money and has the same drag as the high end reels they make. It is however only a mid-arbor and not large but havent noticed any issues with fast fish including albies.

Look for the nexy flyfishing show in NJ or Philadelphia area. I see alot of great deals at them. And best of all you can test out alot of the equipment.
If you want to go bass/musky fishing on my 15' Lowe...I go to Noximixon during the summer. You can bring your 10Wt. I'll bring my Rise 10Wt as well. We will need something strong to pull bass from the lillies as well as casting large streamers and poppers.
I fought 5 salmon last October with my 8wt Orvis. Wished I had a 10wt at that time. Took it up there again in November and had no problem with laying down line. Only had a problem wiht locating the steeheads.
Gents: There is an art to setting the drag on the reel so that you don't snap Tippets.

Back