10ft 4wt Orvis Clearwater(or any other suggestions?)

streamerguy

streamerguy

Got some Christmas dough and was looking into getting a 10ft 4wt, primarily as a nymphing rod. I was originally thinking the Cabela's CZN 10ft 4 which was on sale up until today......now it's back up to it's original price which is the same as an Orvis Clearwater. Those are the only two 10ft 4wts I can find at or under $200. Any thoughts??

I have an older 7'9" 5wt Clearwater and love it, and did the wiggle test on the newer Clearwaters(though not the 10fters) and they seem like good rods. Plus I'd rather support a local shop by getting the Orvis instead of ordering yet another rod from Cabela's.

If anyone has experience with either, specifically the Orvis, I'd appreciate any feedback on how the rod performs.

Thanks

I think DJS12354 has that rod. He might be able to give you some insight. I have the 10' 5 wt and love it. It's become my primary rod. I originally planned to get the 4 for nymphing but the local Orvis shop was out of them. I bought the 5 and the owner said if I didn't like it bring it back when the 4s were back in stock.

The rod I have seems to have the perfect action for my casting style. It isn't too heavy to long line nymph for hours. Being a 5 wt its a little more versatile and does a nice job casting small dries or medium size streamers.

Not trying to talk you out of the 4 wt. Just saying they're really nice rods.

The 10ft Czn's are good rods for the money. The 11ft not so much. I have a 10ft 5wt CZN brand new for sale in the swap forum. Also, don't be afraid to look at the 10ft 4wt Tfo bvk's. Good rod for the price.

Thanks CatchyG and SBecker. I saw your 5wt in the swap forum, but I was thinking something a little lighter. I don't know, gonna have to think about it. Just checked out the bvk's and they seem to be a little more than I want to pay(though not that much more). Still might look into them.

Whichever rod I get I probably won't start using it until March so I have a little while to research and check out different rods.

I have the 9'4 wt. It works well for nymphing. Mends nicely and I can high stick, also. It's not a heavy rod at all. I'd imagine the 10 foot will feel fairly light , also.

Looked at some rods yesterday at a couple places. The first place I checked out the 10ft 5wt Clearwater, which was a nice rod but too heavy. They had the 9ft 4wt there too which felt much nicer. Also dumped a TON of cash on fly tying supplies.....so much for saving it for a new rod lol.

Also took a look at the Greys which were great rods, but a tad over my price range. Looked at some St. Croix High Stick Drifters(and the Bank Robbers) as well which were sweet rods, but way too pricey.

Thinking about getting the 9.5ft 3wt CZN now. Decsions, decisions, decisions!!

Well, I decided on the 3wt CZN while it was still on sale. It arrived today and so far I'm liking it, and it's definitely light enough for the type of fishing I'll be doing. Can't wait to get it on the water!

I'm a bit too late... I was going to recommend checking out the new Cortland Competition Nymphing rods. They are getting pretty rave reviews and are pretty cheap @ $219. The 10.5' 3wt would have been my choice if I didn't get a 10' Hardy Zenith 3wt > 50% off just before Christmas.

Hey Streamerguy -

Sorry that I did not see this thread until after you made your purchase.

As CathyG said, I do have the 10' 4 WT Clearwater. (A Xmas present from my long-suffering spouse). It does not feel very heavy to me - matched with a Clearwater II reel and Orvis line.

It has become my favorite rod for most outings. I like the extra reach when nymphing some portions of the Lackawanna and in general love the feel of the rod and how it casts.

Back