10' rods - 4 and 5 weights

Big-Bass

Big-Bass

So last night I was on the river (Lackawaxen) and found myself about chest high in the water near a nice bit of slow moving water...my problem is this...my 9' 5wt. kept slapping the water on my back cast. In fact, I kind of felt embarrassed that it looked like I was no good at casting. It did not happen every time but probably 2 or 3 times every 10 casts or so. What am I doing wrong? Would a 10' rod actually better suit my fishing needs in situations like this. I was fishing dries last night (march browns, light cahills)...would a 10' rod be too much for that? I have heard many good things about rods like the Orvis Clearwater series 10' 4 and 5 weight and the Cabelas CZN in the same weights. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

You could try to stop your backcast sooner or aim the backcast higher.

A 10' rod compared to a 9' rod would have similar advantages and disadvantages of comparing a 8' rod to a 9' rod.

It happens to most of us. You get a little sloppy with mechanics in the heat of the moment. When it happens next time, try to remember "up & back" on the backcast. Yes, a 10' rod may help a little.

I am looking too at the redington cpx with the fighting butt. Would that be an advantage for balance?

That's what I got for tossing big nymph rigs. It does a good job. I don't know that I'd want to dry fly cast it for extended periods. The swingweight seems a bit heavy. I don't think you'll see much balance provided by the fighting butt. Remember that that rod is fairly stiff / fast and you'll want to use a line that's heavier....gpx, grand or gold. I have a 5 weight with 6wt Rio Gold on it. Tried the 5wt line and felt the 6 went further and loaded the rod easier.

Back