10' Rod Recommedations

Foxgap239

Foxgap239

Hey guys. I'm considering a 10' rod to get into the tight line game. Not looking to break the bank getting one since I'm not 100% sure I'll like that style of nymphing since I'm old and set in my ways with my traditional style. Do you guys have suggestions for moderately priced reliable rods?

Thanks.

Been kicking this around too Fox. Don’t own one and haven’t pulled the trigger yet (just using my 9 footers still) but I can recognize the advantage of a 10’, or longer, rod here now.

A lot of the tight liners really seem to be into Syndicate rods from my research. Check them out. Seem to be in what I’d call the moderate price range ($200-$300). If I was to buy, that’s probably where I’d go.

Either way, I’d try it with your 9 footer first. See if you like it and think you will benefit from a longer rod, then decide if you want one. If you end up liking it, you will probably want a longer rod, but no reason you can’t try it with a standard length rod first.

Edit: I’m also in the market for a short, heavy rod for streamer fishing small streams (7’6 - 8’0 5-6wt that’s not fiberglass), and that’s currently a higher priority than the tight line rod.

Thanks. I do have it currently on the 9' but I think my leader setup may be too long for it. I watched a Lively Legz video last night about setups for small streams. It was pretty good and I learned a bunch although he was using a 10'. Anyway, I cut off about 6' of the 12' Euro leader and added a short amount of tippet and put it on my 8' to try on some of the smaller streams, especially the 2 you and I have IM'd about.

Swattie87 wrote:
Been kicking this around too Fox. Don’t own one and haven’t pulled the trigger yet (just using my 9 footers still) but I can recognize the advantage of a 10’, or longer, rod here now.

A lot of the tight liners really seem to be into Syndicate rods from my research. Check them out. Seem to be in what I’d call the moderate price range ($200-$300). If I was to buy, that’s probably where I’d go.

Either way, I’d try it with your 9 footer first. See if you like it and think you will benefit from a longer rod, then decide if you want one. If you end up liking it, you will probably want a longer rod, but no reason you can’t try it with a standard length rod first.

Edit: I’m also in the market for a short, heavy rod for streamer fishing small streams (7’6 - 8’0 5-6wt that’s not fiberglass), and that’s currently a higher priority than the tight line rod.

Agree ^

While my 10' 4wt rod sees the most use by far for all my trout fishing, there's no reason to go out and buy a 10' rod to nymph right out of the chute. Your 9' rod will do just fine. If you see you are really into it, then go out and buy a 10 footer.

The one advice I will give is to look for a 10' rod that casts and fishes well for all techniques. When I go out to the stream I may change up the type of fishing at a moment's notice, aka as seeing a fish rise. My 10' 4wt is a great nymphing rod as well and great to fish dries and wets and even streamers at times.

afishinado wrote:
The one advice I will give is to look for a 10' rod that casts and fishes well for all techniques. When I go out to the stream I may change up the type of fishing at a moment's notice, aka as seeing a fish rise. My 10' 4wt is a great nymphing rod as well and great to fish dries and wets and even streamers at times.

^ Yep. Aside from the $, that's the one big thing stopping me. Most times, I'd still rather fish dries or streamers. So if I'm nymphing, it's often not by choice, but the only option in town that's catching anything. If fish start rising, I know I'll chop that nymph off and have a dry on as fast as possible. I'll need the rod to be able to handle that, and I know my 9 footers I already own can.

All great points and I must admit, dries are preferred by me as well. I think my best bet is to just shorten the leader so I don't have to hold the damn rod so high where my arm feels like it wants to fall off.

Sorry, replied to your other thread in the classifieds. Looks like this one is getting more attention-

5 or 6 weight is pretty stout for tight lining. Will be a little more difficult to cast and way less sensitive than a more popular 3wt. If you are hell-bent on a 5 or 6wt I would consider a Winston Super 10, T&T Contact 6wt, Hardy Zephraus FWS or a TFO Professional if looking for a cheaper alternative.

Thanks for that input and that does make me rethink the line weight choice.

The Recon 10' 4wt may be a good choice as well. While not the best at any one tactic, it's pretty good at all of them. I typically carry 2 spools/reels with me when I'm not sure what to expect. One loaded with a running/comp line and one with a WF or DT line.

Foxgap239 wrote:
Thanks for that input and that does make me rethink the line weight choice.

George,

Suggest you focus on learning the technique before buying a new rod outfit.

I agree with Swattie that a 9' rod works fine. In fact I and many others have been tight-line or high stick nymphing for a long time, before indicators were "invented". Everyone used 9' rods for nymphing until lately and many fish were caught with shorter rods. Longer rods were not practical until rod materials advanced to the point that a longer rod was light enough and cast and fished well.

Often practical experience on the water will lead to better choices when it comes time to select tackle.

Thanks. I agree no 10' purchase is on the horizon. I will shorten my leader a bit and try the 9' setup that way.

But if I ever do decide to buy I think the points made about line weight are something to consider.

Foxgap239 wrote:
Thanks. I agree no 10' purchase is on the horizon. I will shorten my leader a bit and try the 9' setup that way.

But if I ever do decide to buy I think the points made about line weight are something to consider.

Yes. 5 or 6wt 10' rods are pretty much unheard of for Euro / Tightline Nymphing.

The most common weight is a 3wt and with some 4wts along with a few 2wts. I selected a 10 4wt for the versatility of it and because I found a rod that cast and fished well for me. It's my go-to trout rod for all types of fishing and not just my nymphing rod.

Good luck fishing. There a whole bunch of info on-line as well as on this site about tightline nymphing. You can search the topic. Read it, but most important, get out there and try different stuff...and have fun.

I'm pretty sure that one of my first graphite rods was a 7.5' Leon Chandler in 7wt. I tightened a lot with that rod. Never understood the 14' 2wt and 50' leader thing.

krayfish2 wrote:
I'm pretty sure that one of my first graphite rods was a 7.5' Leon Chandler in 7wt. I tightened a lot with that rod. Never understood the 14' 2wt and 50' leader thing.

You're just showing your (advanced) age, Andy :p

Leon Chandler

Attachments

• Leon chandler (right) with his 7.5 ' Cortland rod.jpg
    Leon chandler (right) with his 7.5 ' Cortland rod.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 2
krayfish2 wrote:

Absolutely, you can tightline with any rod you want. Is a shorter rod the BEST tool for the task, probably not.....but it will work.

A longer rod simply lets you fish at a further distance. As far as leader length, it has a huge impact on getting drag free drifts. Have you ever noticed that when using a shorter leader and are trying to tightline up and across that by the time the fly gets directly across from you it's right under the rod tip? Even if you made an up and across cast that started 20' out the weight of that heavy leader and line pulls the flies back to the rod tip.

I picked up a used 10' Recon from the board last year and it is a great rod. I love euro nymphing and my catch rate with that method has really improved.

Hey fox!! How have you been man? Getting into euro style nymphing? How’s valley been treating you?! I moved to LA, but came back east recently. We should hit some water when I come back to philly this spring. I am getting a 4wt 10’ recon for euro nymphing/nymph fishing. An I’m grabbing a TFO rod at a stupid discount this week.

I must recommend the Syndicate 10" 2wt. I nymph 6 different rods, but my favorite is the Syndicate. All are in the 10" to 11" range, but I really like the Syndicate. Orvis has a new 10' 6" H3 that is incredible if you can deal with the price. All the rods I use are 2 or 3 wt.

Back