10.5 foot fly rod

ryansheehan

ryansheehan

A number of years ago, I got a 10 foot 4 weight access rod, shortly after that I casted the same thing in a helios and I was sold. Those 10 foot 4 weight rods were game changers (even though I sold the access once I got the helios) and my go to rod 90% of the time. Anyway I haven't felt the need to purchase a rod in many years, god knows I have a lot of them. I've been tinkering with the idea of a 10 foot 3 weight but I want to try a 10 and a half footer. Looking through the enterwebs I could only find one rod company, Cortland, that offers rods at that length. I see lots of 11 footers but I feel like that is a bigger jump than I want to make. Two questions, first does anyone know of another rod maker who has 10 and a half feet in either 3 or 4 weight? Second, anyone ever casted a cortland rod? I've used their lines but never even seen one their rods. Thanks for any information.

Echo makes a 10' 6" 4 weight. It's called the "Shadow II". I own one and it's one of my favorite rods for nymph fishing. They also make a optional "Competition Kit" which consists of two 6 inch rod extensions, counter weights for rod balance and a removable fighting butt. I bought one of those too. I like the rod's extra length and with the counterweights installed it seems to balance rather well IMO. Check it out.

If you have a 10 ft already, a 10.6 won't add much to your game. Go for an 11 footer IMO.

Grey's Streamflex is made in 11ft 4wt, but discontinued. You could find them ebay still.

Hardy Marksman II is also made in a 11 ft 5wt, I think that has been discontinued. Ebay it. This is a european action, so very soft compared to the USA fast trend.

Fenwick Aetos is made in 11ft 5wt. (the new streamflex; very good price)

Cabelas CZN is made in 11ft 4wt. (lots of good reviews)

Sage ESN 11ft 3wt... you can find these a couple hundred off. They are changing the line a little bit but I believe it is just cosmetic.

The cortland nymph rods have very good reviews from competition guys but they are known to break and were hard to find. I believe they 'fixed' the design so the new ones should be good to go but it has been a while since I followed up on that one.

These are the ones I can think of and I am sure there are more

Sage makes a 10.5' esn 3 weight. I don't fish for trout with anything longer than 9' so I can't comment on it. http://www.sageflyfish.com/product/specialty/esn

From your post, it seems like you strongly prefer the helios to the access. I'd bet that you would strongly prefer the sage to the cortland (and other lower end models).

I think you would agree with me that while you can catch plenty of fish with a lower end or less expensive rod, the experience is more enjoyable when you are fishing with a rod that feels exactly the way you want, and sometimes its worth spending the extra money to achieve that.

I'd bet if you did some research you could find the sage rod for less than its list price.

How does that 10' 4wt. Helios throw dries?

I fish the Cortland 10'6" 4Wt and it's my go to rod for 90% of my fishing. The rod has a faster action than the Grey's stream flex and a more sensitive tip. The reason why the rod "breaks down" of time is its a naked blank, you trade sensitivity for durability. It can throw indicators or dry dropper rigs with ease.

Devin Olsen gave the rod a great review on his page.
http://www.tacticalflyfisher.com/blog/cticalflyfisherman.com/2014/01/gear-review-cortland-competition-nymph.html

He sells the rod on his page or you can now get them from fishUSA in Erie and there you can at least give it a wiggle.

Thanks for the info guys.

Big-Bass wrote:
How does that 10' 4wt. Helios throw dries?

Well, the only thing the access rod didn't do well was throw dries, it was just okay. I have the original helios not sure about the 2. I throw lots of dries on the savage and the north branch during the summer, it casts great and obviously the line control is so much better than a 9 foot.

go with an 11 footer no problems, I fish an 11' 3 wt. all the time. at that length there is no difference in my book. I also use a 11' 3wt switch special too.

Back