10’ 3wt Recon as an all-around rod?

T

tie1fly

I have a 10’ 3wt Recon that I’m still trying to figure out how versatile it can be.

Anyone using this rod as an all-arounder (take one rod for the day) for medium to medium-large PA streams (Tully, YB, Big Spring, Spring Creek, etc)?

Tight line/contact nymphing/jig-streamers I’m comfortable with the rod.

For dry fly, dry dropper, and Dorsey-indicator setups I’ve bounced back and forth between a true 3wt and a true 4 wt floating line and experimented with a few different leader setups. Granted, this will never be as good as a dedicated 9’ 4wt or 5wt, but I want to push it to its limits for these techniques. I’d be interested in experiences and setup suggestions using this (or similar) rod on these sized streams for non-euro techniques.

I have a 10’ 3wt Recon that I’m still trying to figure out how versatile it can be.

Anyone using this rod as an all-arounder (take one rod for the day) for medium to medium-large PA streams (Tully, YB, Big Spring, Spring Creek, etc)?

Tight line/contact nymphing/jig-streamers I’m comfortable with the rod.

For dry fly, dry dropper, and Dorsey-indicator setups I’ve bounced back and forth between a true 3wt and a true 4 wt floating line and experimented with a few different leader setups. Granted, this will never be as good as a dedicated 9’ 4wt or 5wt, but I want to push it to its limits for these techniques. I’d be interested in experiences and setup suggestions using this (or similar) rod on these sized streams for non-euro techniques.
I primarily fish a 10' 3wt recon and only the recon. In my past 100+ outings on a trout stream, I have not used another rod. I primarily tightline nymph, dry dropper, and fish streamers. The Dorsey indicator is definitely the best, but have found Oros as a good backup for areas I can't adequately tightline. I also keep a spare reel in my pack with a 4wt floating line (SA Amplitude Infinity Smooth) and it casts extremely well. I think people fishing dries in long flat pools require the extra casting distance that can be provided by a WF4F or WF5F line; however, if you are not fishing a flats section you can get plenty close to fish for a good dry presentation with a tightline system. I run a modified standard mono rig, and keep a harvey dry fly leader on rigging foam, and carry the spare reel with a WF4F line; I mostly am just fishing my standard mono rig for all of my needs though

despite having a decent choice of rods, that recon is super nice and has become one of my go to wade rods. You can do a little bit of everything but it’s still a 3wt. So if planning to throw decent sized dry dropper on larger water all day I wouldn’t take it but it can hold its own otherwise and even if doing it for a while. Big fan of that rod. I use a 3wt DT on it

also agree it fishes mono rigs nicely but when going dry dropper I switch back to a typical tapered leader, same 3wt line.

Back