Salt fishing lures~~~

skybay

skybay

I was fishing salt for many years (this include east, west coasts, Mexico and abroad), before started fiercely with the “dry fly on the top in PA”.
Here is what I find in my old time tackle compartments that stuck in my storage room and sometimes ooze over into the other boxes.

All sizes, variations, kinds and assortment lures, including, bluefish jigs and spoons, rock bass hooks, Dorado lure, Wahoo feathers lures, Albacore, dolphin fur hooks, marlin lines, stripe bass lures, steel wire “tippets” for the tuna. Unspecified vaguely memories ‘come to ‘”the surface here”….
I took few pics of some of “this vintage handful stuff” to share with you.

Attachments

• shimano flavor lures box.jpg
    shimano flavor lures box.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 15
  • salt tacle box.jpg
    salt tacle box.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 4
  • salt tacle box2.jpg
    salt tacle box2.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 5
  • tuna & wahoo lures.jpg
    tuna & wahoo lures.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 4
  • big game lures.jpg
    big game lures.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 3
  • mixed lures.jpg
    mixed lures.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 5
  • PFLUEGER vintage.jpg
    PFLUEGER vintage.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 3
  • salt reels and lures.jpg
    salt reels and lures.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 3
they throw those 'big game lures' from the beaches now for moby stripers.

Some oldies but goodies.

Yeah I still have and use surf gear. still make my own wood lures. nothing fancy but they work..
My older orvis bag can hold boxes of lures and flys along with a spin rod for walking the beach.

Attachments

• plugs 007.jpg
    plugs 007.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 4
  • plugs 009.jpg
    plugs 009.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 5
  • plugs 004.jpg
    plugs 004.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 4
  • plugs 001.jpg
    plugs 001.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 4
  • plugs 014.jpg
    plugs 014.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 3
  • plugs 008.jpg
    plugs 008.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 3
I also tried turning some plugs never actually made a finished product I could fish. It's funny the difference in lures guys use here and the ones up in the New England area. Those needles are killer. I remember when I was younger my first trip up to New England it was 1 in the morning and we were catching big bass till day break on them. The litterly don't swim. Maybe a small wobble but the fish love them. I think everyone broke at least one plug on fish. They aren't cheap either. I think we were using Gibbs but can't recall for sure. All fish were in the 30 inch range with a couple of ones breaking 40.

I probably opt for an Ava in jersey. The fish around here are smaller to but that's why I always try to get up north for a week in the summer. Trying to go up to the flats this spring and summer.

marcq
fish a 5" black needle at night near the pocket on I.B.S.P. you'll be surprised. cast count to 20 and retrieve slow with a 2 foot swish of rod tip. gets them every time when they are around.

got that right on the needle Sandy!!!
I build all my own wood also ,also market some.

Love that top needle especially - the top needles on the Cape were/ are habs (John habarek and now his son) needles.

I've watched them fish them on the Canal, it's quite an Art - the trick is to fish them as slow as you possibly can.

Which is counter intuitive to everything I learnt saltwater fly fishing, but they kill in black, white, yellow or purple.

The guys down the Rhode Island surf round the point Jude light copied them, and then the Rhody fly guys copied them and hence the evolution of the 10" flatwings dead drifted across the surf and mended in the wash and backwash by the likes of Ray Bondarew and Kenny abrahms 15 or so years ago.

geebee wrote:
...and then the Rhody fly guys copied them and hence the evolution of the 10" flatwings dead drifted across the surf and mended in the wash and backwash by the likes of Ray Bondarew and Kenny abrahms 15 or so years ago.

Never knew that! It always surprised me when I would read that those flies were traditionally fished so close to the surface. Most of my limited experience has involved getting down and dredging in the current.

Regardless, flatwings fascinate me.

One of favorite ones this time of year is the black and purple darter. caught quite a few stripers during bright days this time of year.

Back