NEW to carp fly fishing (walnutport area)

H

hookedonthefly

i want to start to learn to fly fish for carp. i live in the walnuport area, is there anyone that fishes for these wonderful fish?

i would like to get some tips and tactics, and lean some locations. any help would be great.

Hi there. I'm sure others around here will give you real world tips, but i highly recommend the Orvis flyfishing podcast. They are free on iTunes or their website. Theres 3 or 4 Carp Specific episodes (maybe 45 minutes to 60 minutes each) with tons of information from Tom Rosenbauer and guests. You can search by keyword on their website. I listened to 200+ episodes in the past few months to/from work, and the carp ones were interesting...

thanks fo the advice danverona.

check out the canal near you along the Lehigh...I'm sure they're there

philc there are only a few in there, i need to locate more areas to fish for them. i also am looking to find someone can teach me more.

with all the people on this site, there has to be someone close to me that can help.....

Hookedonthefly,

With respect to places to fish for carp.....understand that many of the folks on this site are tight lipped about their favorite fishing locations. This is perfectly understandable. Many anglers have spent many days exploring fishing areas and have had to put their time in to locate good spots and they're loathe to broadcast them on the internet. This is particularly true for fish and streams that fly under the radar. Local carp hotspots would certainly qualify.

Personally, if it were me......I'd prospect for carp by focusing on larger waterways. Begin by heading out on a clear day when the sun is high and the water clear. Walk out on a bridge with polarized glasses and binoculars and just look for fish. You'll see carp and learn a lot about a river's structure with this simple technique. Then go fishing with spin gear and dough balls. When you've found a "carpy" area, wait for low clear water flows and you can target them with fly gear. There are also some good guides on the Susquehanna River who will take you carp fishing and show you some of the tricks of the trade.

Fish
i understand what you are saying... i am not asking peole to give up there spots, i am asking for help on the subject.. tha can come from the fom of going to local place where i know carp are at and teach me some things. i know a few people on this site that would be willing to show things if it were trout fishing...

carp fishing is whole different game. but thank you for your advice!

Definitely listen to the orvis podcasts on carp fishing. They just posted another one recently, actually. I thought they were all very informative. This most recent one was probably the least informative of them, actually.

It's really not as hard as you'd think. Carp are very spooky, but I think the trick is just delicate presentation, and finding a spot where there are carp that you can get to and see. Of course, this is coming from a guy who caught his first carp on the fly like 3 days ago...

Also fly pattern doesn't seem to be that important from what I've heard/experienced. Basically small heavy flies work. I caught mine on a size 8 2xl streamer hook, to which I attached dumbell eyes, some ginger/yellow dubbing, and an olive rabbit strip opposite the eyes! I think the pattern was called "Jamie's krazy carper." I can tie one of those in about 45 seconds, and it caught a carp!

jeremymcon

thanks for the info congrats on your first carp!!!

I sweated my *** off last week looking and fishing for carp. I've been doing a lot of research lately too on the subject. I went to streams where there were no carp then I found some carp then I lost some carp that I hooked. I finally got into some and had a blast. More people need to explore and research. There is so much info on the internet about carp and fly fishing its ridiculous. Get out there and explore and try different patterns and tippet size. You'll figure it out and the reward will be that much better.

Hooked,

Check out the following blogs:

www.mrbrownliner.wordpress.com (that is mine)
www.carponthefly.com (John Montana)
www.flycarpin.com (Trevor Tanner)

They all have pretty good info on fly fishing for carp!

Also there are two books I would highly recommend. Carp on the Fly which was from Barry Reynolds years ago and The Orvis Guide to Fly Fishing for Carp which just came out from Kirk Deeter / Stonefly Press. The latter is a more up to date and a very easy read.

Hope that helps!

Lee

pittfly and haywood thank you!

Back