The Wrong Way - NEPA Outing

bjb27_99

bjb27_99

Originally I wasn’t sure if I was going to get out fishing over the Thanksgiving weekend, but that all changed last Tuesday evening. I got a call from a college roommate (Regi), who now lives in Boston, and he said he was coming back to the Philadelphia area and was itching to get out fishing. We fished quite a few times together in college, but that mostly consisted of bait fishing for trout around the openers and bass fishing. Oddly the last time we fished together was in the 1,000 Island area of NY on 9/11/01.

Regi mentioned that he had gotten into fly fishing over the summer and wanted to hit a wild trout stream and fish dry flies. I figured we would have better luck fishing dries on a brookie stream vs. a brown stream, but most of the streams I know of are brown-only streams. I decided on a NE PA freestone stream that I had fished a couple of times prior and was pretty familiar with.

Although the forecast called for a cold and windy day in the 30s with periods of snow, we decided to make a day of it and headed north bright and early Saturday morning. We hiked down to the stream and the action began right at the first hole.

Regi had 2 solid takes, but came up empty with the hookups in the first hole.
P1090062.jpg

First fish of the day.
P1090063.jpg

Regi fishing a pool.
P1090068.jpg

The only double of the day.
P1090072.jpg

Yes that’s a trout in Regi’s left hand.
P1090075.jpg

A couple other colorful brookies.
P1090078.jpg

P1090081.jpg

Regi’s lunch for the day. I’ve never seen someone pack so much food for a fishing trip. There were meatballs, homemade pickles, olives, bread, cake, and a couple other things. It made my bagel with peanut butter seem so unsatisfying.
P1090082.jpg

It’s hard to tell, but it was snowing pretty hard at this point.
P1090083.jpg

After about 4 hours on the first stream, we decided to hike out and hit another nearby stream. As this stream was more of a wilderness stream choked with rhododendron, we decided to leave the fly rods in the car and break out the spinning gear. Hopefully this doesn’t offend anyone LOL.

Regi was determined to get a brown and caught the only one of the day.
P1090085.jpg

Nicest brookie from the second stream. Most of the brookies that we spotted were in the 3-4” range.
P1090090.jpg

When we came to our ending point, we ran into 2 hikers. Considering the walk along the stream was pretty rough, we asked if there was an easier way to get back to our car. The one hiker gave us a trail to follow and we began to hike out at around 4:00. We followed the trail until we hit the main road, but as soon as we hit the road, I realized that we weren’t even close to our car. We must have missed a turn or gone the wrong way on the trail. As it was getting late and the sun was setting, I didn’t want to chance taking a shortcut and getting stuck in the woods overnight. So 5.2 miles later (verified through Google Maps) and through the dark, we were back at my car. There have been many “firsts” for me this year with fishing and this is certainly another “first” to add to the list. Regardless, it was great to get to fish with Regi again and spend some extra time catching up.

The long (but wrong) road out.
P1090091.jpg

Nice images... Meatballs and olives do sound a lot better than my usual fishing food. Interesting that you ran into hikers this time of year.

Nice pics and good write up bjb. I'm half surprised they took dries that well in that weather, but then again that stream seems to always produce pretty well.

Regi's lunch certainly looked better than my half water logged sandwich from a couple of weeks ago! Might have to change my approach a bit!

I've run into the same situation a couple times on hikes out...the known longer route or the unknown, but possibly shorter route. With darkness approaching, and a cold night in the woods (and not happy wives) at stake if you're wrong, I woulda done the same as you guys, despite the extra mileage.

yeah, I should copy regi's streamside dining selections, but I think I'll stick to my wading boots :) the only thing he needs is a bottle of wine out there!

seriously, a gps (such as garmin etrex) is not a bad thing for navigation... easily displays your current location, car location, and your path between; shows many forest roads if you add a 1:24K topo map (factory map has almost zero detail)... less likely to take a wrong turn

nice fishing story, so many streams in NEPA, and some gems out there

Nice writeup. To me, catching fish is only one part of the overall fishing excursion experience and as you noted, streamside dining, the hike out, etc., all play into it.

if you get the hang of a gps they can help with streamside navigation.. I like gps units and have my etrex 30 tricked out with detailed topo and (xtracost, PITA to load) birds eye satellite views...
this image shows a recorded fishing trip in the turquoise line, and forest roads in dashed line, of course the display is not as cool on a little 3" gps screen.

Attachments

• 7404063976_31c3856d32_z.jpg
    7404063976_31c3856d32_z.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 3
Know what you mean-did the same thing in a whiteout in Montana.Hunting when a blizzard hit.Hard to tell if you are going up or down hill in that condition.Lucked out and hit the road but which way?
The lady or the tiger?
Guessed right and back at Bronco in a hundred yards,ate dinner and settled in for a long winters nap.

Nice pictures and story. IT looks familiar to me but I can't place it.NE P has a ton of good streams though.

Swattie87 wrote:
Nice pics and good write up bjb. I'm half surprised they took dries that well in that weather, but then again that stream seems to always produce pretty well.

Yeah, they were slamming the dries right off the bat so we never switched techniques. We also spent about 45 minutes in the lower section on the way out and we got the skunk. Although we saw plenty of browns in there. Not sure what's going on.

FWIW, It's usually the same story for me on the lower stretch of that stream...skunking courtesy of the Browns.

The one time I fished it in higher water (who am I kidding it was flooding really) my buddy and I caught a few Browns throwing streamers, but it was tough going and really not safe. We couldn't even cross the stream if you can imagine, anywhere...I think we crossed it only 1 time upstream and one time back down, and that was linking arms, one step at a time. We probably had no business being in there to be honest.

The other time I fished the lower stretch was with pcray and one of his buddies this Summer...all three of us took home the combined skunk on the Browns after doing pretty well on the Brookies on the upper stretch. Flows were decent that day, but certainly not "up" or "high." We threw dries, nymphs, streamers, you name it at em' and came home empty. We got one or two hits on the dries of all things, but no hookups. I've heard of guys doing really well on the Brown stretch, but that was in high water with spin gear. As you mention, they're in there though, and I bet it would probably fish pretty well for the Browns in warmer weather and higher flows...not necessarily flood stage though!

Great story, and a great day. Made better by a wrong turn, at the time ya gotta hate it when that happens. Later it's funny as all get out.

There are quite a few hikers that use the trail along the creek.

Back