Magazines

padave

padave

Hi all,

I'm thinking of picking up a ff magazine subscription. I see there
are a few out there, what is your favorite one, and I mean by that is what is good for this area as far as the info and articles.

Right now I'd choose Flyfishing and Tying Journal and The Drake. Though I like American Angler best, it has been using photos by people who do not deserve the support of fly-fishermen of average means. The same goes for Fly Fisherman magazine, which has badly deteriorated over the years. Fly Rod & Reel is an option, though in its latest issue it used photos from the same people. (These people are fly-fishing's famous "sellout" couple: barry and cathy beck.)
Anyhow, though FTJ is slanted toward fishing in the West, it is still a good fly-fishing magazine. The Drake is geared to young guys, and though I'm an old guy, I thought the first issue of my subscription was interesting and informative.

Dear Dave,

None of the fly fishing magazines do anything for me, perhaps because I've already read everything they have to say because all they ever seem to do is repeat things.

I've re-subscribed to Fly Fisherman and American Angler 2 or 3 times each after a several year hiatus and by the 2nd issue I was bored with them and wished for my money back.

If I was voting I'd vote for the PA Angler and Boater magazine. It doesn't have a lot of fly fishing specific content though it does have at least a fly of the month and an article about how and when to use it.

What it does have is a lot of solid information about general angling opportunities in PA including profiles of State Parks or geographic regions. It also covers all species of fish and since I'll fish for just about anything that swims with a fly rod there can be a lot of valuable information to be gleaned from an article about spin fishing if you read it. Finally, there is information about the Fish Commissions activities and concerns. To me it's well worth the cost.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

For an all around read i'd go with Fly Rod n Reel , not to mention Geirach does a monthly short story. Fly Fisherman has fallen off in recent years. I agree with rrt about the Becks though , how about this advice , Just don't look at the pictures........LOL Dave Whitlock is also a monthly contributor to FRnR and his stuff is pretty cool and his artwork.

I had Eastern Fly Fishing for a while, which was decent.

I also enjoy PA angler.

I don't enjoy any of them enough to subscribe.

I subscribe to PA Angler and Boater, 3 years for $30 is a good deal. As said earlier it's not solely flyfishing but it is interesting to read about different types of fishing across the state.

I like Eastern Fly Fisherman. Gives you exposure to fly fishing opportunities you may not otherwise be aware of.

Always Google for best pricing of subscriptions. Flyfisherman is rather instructional and can be had quite inexpensively now.

Flyfishing and Tying Journal is about the only one i look forward to reading

then again i guess it depends on how long you have been flyfishing, i remember when i first started i read every mag there was, trying to learn everything, so if your just starting out, read as many as you can

I'm subscribed to Fly fishing saltwaters Hatches and Fly tyer . So far I like Hatches the best but it only comes out once a year which is a disappointment. I used to get Eastern which I got ride of because I don't want to pay for a destination guide with adds. Fly Fisherman was just a big add magazine in disguise.

I subscribe to Eastern Fly Fishing and Hatches. I buy The Drake and The Fly Fish Journal often enough that i should subscribe to them.

I really enjoy the latter 2 because they are more fly fishing related literature than how-to articles.

Back