Catskill Jam All Good Things Come to Those Who Wade

fadeaway263

As you know from Krayfish's thread a lot of guys from the forum went up to the WB and caught a ton of fish. I am sorry to say that the Prof and I were not as sucessful in our stay in Deposit NY a few miles above where all the floating was done. I would like to think that the water temps being some 5 degrees or so below the temps in Hale Eddy had something to do with it but I digress and want to avoid a sour grapes image. We waded...they floated. Question....is it better to catch a ton of fish by floating or is it better to catch that erstwhile trout while wading? Anyway Andy thank you for opening my eyes to the Upper Delaware but I will leave you with these two pictures taken on Friday 6/8 which is a composite of a rainbow being caught under a rainbow over the skies behind the house we rented in Deposit NY. How often will you see this in a lifetime? Fade

Attachments

• Rain Bow.JPG
    Rain Bow.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Catching A rainbow.JPG
    Catching A rainbow.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 7
Most of the time we are not catching fish while floating. We usually get out of the boat and wade for the fish. The boats are used to find fish or hit multiple areas.

Can't answer you Fade as I never once cast from a boat in my 40 years as a trouter.Did use canoes to get to hot spots.
wading was part of the charm for me.TETO
Do think floaters with guides or knowing friends probably catch more on average.

I think most would prefer to catch a fish while wading, but I don't really think less of the experience because I'm on a boat.
To me its all about access, its impossible to reach certain fish even for the best of casters.
At the end of the day, I just hope its worth the work it takes get your boat put together, dropping cars, etc...

SBecker wrote:
Most of the time we are not catching fish while floating. We usually get out of the boat and wade for the fish. The boats are used to find fish or hit multiple areas.

I knew that Becker as we floated with Andy 2 years ago. I was just confining myself to walking to the river and then wading. We had a disappointing 4 days as far as the fishing went no doubt. I told Prof it was like Groundhog Day. Get up put on waders tie on rig wade into the river hit the same spots and nada. Or maybe its that definition of insanity thing where you keep doing the same thing expecting a different result. In any event it was still great to be away and read your posts 4 miles up river with envy!!! At least my salads were good!

Fade,

I texted you and suggested to head down river 5-10 miles. Some our best fishing had to be 15 miles down river from where you guys were staying. I only fish up that way once a year (if I'm lucky). I also said that Brandon would take you down the river in the driftboat or if he was working in the fly shop...I could use it to take you and Prof out. We had 1-3 guys go wade fish every evening. Fishing from the boat isn't the most fun but it has to be done to reach some fish. It's a nice way to get a change of river views, see different sections and hopefully find an area where the fish are feeding. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It's a decent amount of work to get the boats in, shuttle vehicles, row or drag the boats and to avoid all of the wade fisherman. It cuts into your actual fishing time. I think you guys should give it another shot.

Andy when you get in your 60's you tend to get a bit "set in your ways". My hat is off to you for all the work you do in organizing the JAM. All that boat shuttling etc is time consuming no doubt. But there is something to be said for climbing out of the water right behind your house at 5:30PM or so and cracking a Miller High Life and get ready for dinner and Jeopardy at 7PM and then listen to the Phils by the fire on a trusty AM radio and sip a little red wine before getting up the next AM and start all over again. I know.... Judge Wapner and "I am a good driver definitely definitely" may come to some of your minds but I talked to 1 guide and 1 old timer and both said the water in the Deposit area was too cold as the water is being released from under the dam as opposed to over the dam. Last year at almost the same time in June a totally different result....but again I ask did you ever see a rainbow caught under a rainbow? Something I will always remember. Fade out!

Wait................you get out of the water at 7pm?!? Wtf is wrong with you?

Given they're all beautiful natives it's definitely better to catch a ton than that one special guy. My pontoon takes me from one wading spot to the next. Never cast from my pontoon. The week prior it started at 7pm.

Before someone murders you for your post... The rainbows are wild...not native.

Fade, it sounds like it's more of a relaxing trip for you versus a hardcore fishing trip. Nothing wrong with that. You just have to accept that the river system is tough and doesn't always give up fish easily. In addition to that, trying new sections, methods, etc won't kill you. Maybe you'll find something great or have that "day of a lifetime" on the river.

SBecker wrote:
Wait................you get out of the water at 7pm?!? Wtf is wrong with you?

Fade,

First of all, wading limits you to fish a certain section of the River, while drifting for miles allows you to head hunt for risers or active fish. Usually, sooner or later you hook into a couple when covering miles of river.

I agree with Shane, your schedule IS a bit off....lol. Here's you itinerary for next time:

Wake up early, predawn, and fish 'til 10am or so. Go back for brunch and a nap. Have an early dinner (hit the early bird blue plate special) and get back out there for the evening hatch. Stay out 'til 0dark:30. Sip a ****tail or two and get to bed early. Repeat.

Better yet play dumb and innocent in the parking lot until everyone leaves and then fish til dawn.

You guys didn't see any of these? They were everywhere!

Actually found about 12 of these on the side of my house this morning. This thing is HUGE. Dwarfs a Green Drake.

Attachments

• IMAG0282.jpg
    IMAG0282.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 6
Let's quibble over wild and native shall we? Of course if we're submitting a paper to the committee on fish terminology let's call browns German browns and show how old we are. To get back on topic...there's plenty of time for eating, chatting and sipping but when I've driven four hours, paid for the room, gotten the wife a little peeved I'm there to fish. The Italian place in Hancock serves till ten and you sip and chat after that. Some of those wild rainbows exceed 18 inches and the German browns two feet. I'm 64 and still packing the trail bars to tide me over till dark.

John,

I'm not trying to be picky over what you call the fish. Doesn't matter to me. I know that some on here will crucify you for using the term "native" because it can only apply to brook trout in PA. Wild bows? Yes, for over 100 years. The survived before the dams were built and cold water released ever happened. Wild browns? For the most part, yes. Few stockies escape and mix with the population every year.

Little Italy II is the place you are mentioning. In the early season, they are closed around 8pm. On the weekends this time of year, after 10pm. We picked up pizzas on Saturday at 11pm. I'm right there with you as far as packing granola bars or power bars in the boat. With any luck, the fishing is so good that you don't even have time to eat. 🙂

I thought I'd mellow out but I can't leave rising trout. When we had the trailer at the drc campground before Ivan washed it away we'd fish till dark and hit the Delaware inn before it mysteriously burned down. My pard fished the sgl Sunday, knocked them dead on bh and was alone. The releases are making this the best year in memory.

John I had a friend that reiterated about sgl. He then said he went back there Monday and it was horrible. Lol

Not to complicate the wild/native discussions but I think we should simply agree that they are mostly plain wild. The sign on the Main Stem just below Hancock tells us the fish are wild. But the old timer I talked to this year says that the fish that continue to be stocked in the East Branch find themselves swimming up the West Branch as he has caught fish in the West Branch with the clipped fin that evidences a stocked fish.

Attachments

• Wild Fish Resized.JPG
    Wild Fish Resized.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 4
Fade, I believe that there are 2 or 3 feeders on the WB that get stocked so the fish could have slipped out of one of those streams. Also... the stockings are for browns only so the bows you catch are from the stocking over 100 years ago. The EB does get some fish but the numbers stocked are pretty small considering it's 20-25 miles of river.

I can't find the article but there was tagged trout put in on the Lehigh and it was caught way up on the Delaware...so fish do travel up there...it seems like thats where all the nice fish are either way

Back