Wadders and Boots

Stagger_Lee

Stagger_Lee

Was going to post this in the beginner forum but considering this is abt gear I'll throw it up here. If it's the wrong spot the mods can be free to move it.

Looking to purchase an inexpensive pair of wadders ($100ish max) and a pair of boots, need for this weekend. I do not live near a fly shop or the big shops like Bass Pro or Cabellas so I will be heading to ****s. From fit, quality, and/or breath-ability ... What should I look for in both items?

Per boots .. I was thinking of getting hiking boots and then purchase the clip-ons that McPhin demonstrated at the Beginner Jamboree (what were they called?) ... good idea?

At ****'s SG, I think they carry Hodgeman, Redington, Pro-Line, and Field and Stream brands. They may not have everything in stock.

I do recommend getting breathables, which start right around $100. Might be able to find something for $80 or $90 at best. Make sure it says breathable on it. The only experience I have with any of those brands is Hodgeman. I had 2 sets of their breathables before. They're plenty breathable and comfortable. But they wore out at right about 1 year, whereas the other brands I've been using go more like 2-3 years, of course you pay twice as much for them. It wasn't rips or seams anything like that, the material just stopped being waterproof and would seep through.

Bootfoot or stocking foot is up to you. Bootfoot will be a few dollars more, but prevent you from having to buy wading boots, so they save you money. But the boots aren't as comfortable, and in those brands I think all you'll get are cheap rubber lug soles, which might as well be like walking on ice in rocky streams.

Wading shoes have went way up in price lately. I used to get the pro-lines at like $30 and they worked just fine. Now, the cheapest even ****'s sales are like $60. Whatever feels good will be fine. I like studded felt, but some of the new fangled studded lugs aren't all that bad.

The one problem I see with using hiking boots with snap on soles is drainage. You'll have a pool of water in there that won't wanna drain out, then walking will be slushy and heavy. Wading boots are designed to drain water.

You could also order Cabelas, pay the extra on shipping and have it overnighted. If you ordered today you should probably get it by Friday.

Thanks pcray .. per boots, if I ordered from Cabelas or Bass Pro; If I wear an 11 and the boot size is accurate, how much higher should I go to compensate for the booties in a pair of wadders?

I'm sure it depends on brand a little, just like shoes, so that's not an easy answer. But generally, most brands are sized to include space for the booties. So if you wear an 11 in shoe size, you should get an 11 in wading boots, which in actual size, should be more like a 12.

I think there are some companies which don't use that convention. There also are differences in the thickness of the booties with different waders.

There's no great substitute for taking the waders in and trying them on. But you need them quick, and to do that, something has to give.

Stagger_Lee wrote:
per boots, if I ordered from Cabelas or Bass Pro; If I wear an 11 and the boot size is accurate, how much higher should I go to compensate for the booties in a pair of wadders?

I have Cabelas house line boots...I went one size larger and that worked out fine for me with a pair of socks under the wader booties. It was actually 1.5 sizes for me I guess...10.5 shoe size, bought a 12. Granted I have wide feet, and that's usually the limiting factor in a shoe for me, as opposed to length.

I will say this, IMO error on the big side if you must, or are debating between two sizes...a little loose is more easily overcome by a pair of thick socks or lacing them up extra tight vs. too tight...which cuts circulation and makes your feet cold.

Good stuff .. thanks guys.

I'm going to see if I can get away with the hiking boots I have and just get a set of waders this week. I'll work out the boot issue the next few weeks unless ****s has something I like

Stagger

Another option might be to stop at the LL Bean store close to the area we'll be fishing Saturday.

That would give you the opportunity to try things on for fit.

Also check for a Sportsman's Liquidator's near you - They are running a sale on Hodgeman's if I remember correctly.

Dave

I really like the Cabela's boots with cleats. I had to buy 2 sizes larger than my footwear. 1.5 larger would have been optimum, but they are not available in half sizes. Try them on with the socks you would wear fishing. I like a thin sock and a heavy wader sock in cold weather. And their waist high waders are in the $120 range, but you better check availability.

I also have Field and Stream breathable chest waders from ****'s. Bought them on sale for $60, and they have worked well as a back-up. Don't know how they would hold up as my primary waders.

Long week ended @9PM @ ****s tonight. To lazy & tired to start with boots but picked-up a pair of hodgemens with boots for 59.99. Guy said it was breathable when asked as I forgot to look at the box. Was a good guy and he reassured me I can return them if I am not happy with them .. will test them tomorrow

Thanks for the info and to all the guys who PM'd to offer loaners for tomorrow

They worked out OK this weekend.

2 negatives but one my fault

Didn't realize how cold you can still get under those suckers .. was wearing regular pair of sport socks and thin summer fishing pants .. my bad

Not sure if I like the rain boot aspect of the waders. Felt uncomfortable w/out any ankle/foot support. May use them again and/or return and purchase waders and wading boots .. cabelas has some decent combo deals

RC

Don't forget you can roll the chest waders down, but you can't roll the waist highs up. :)

Dave

RCFetter wrote:
Cabela's is having a 4 day - 25% off sale on waders and other stuff.

Cabela's Waders

Unfortunately, their waist-high breathables are not on sale.

I am getting the cabelas guide tech stockingfoot waders. I have dealt with bootfoot for so long they are just getting way to uncomfortable anymore. Unless someone out there knows a better pair for around the same price.

I just purchased the waist high stocking foot breathable waders from LL Bean. As of Yesterday, they were on sale for 79.00
I also purchased a set of wading boots there as well.
They had 3 different varieties available of each of the waders and boots.
they on sale waist for 79.00 the chest high middle grade for 149.00 and the higher grade chests for 199.00
boots range from 89 to 180.00
I opted for the 79.00 waders and the 119.00 boots
Beauty part about it is the LL Bean warranty, lifetime satisfaction.
If they stand behind their product, these will be the last waders I will ever have to buy. Maybe in a few week I might decide that an upgrade to chest waders is the right move for me. (the first overflow will dictate that decision)

I checked the LLBean website and it doesn't mention a sale. Maybe it's an in-store sale. I ordered Cabela's $119 waist-highs last week and they are due to arrive today.

Well, the Cabela's waist-highs arrived about a 2 hrs ago. They fit great and are easy to get on and off. They seem well constructed but my only prior experience is with cheap Hodgmans. For $119 I'm happy especially if I get at least two years out of them.

I have for awhile now 6 yrs gotten away with Cabellas breathable stocking foot hippers with velcro wading shoes FELT sole and gravel guards they were on sale for 60 bucks as a combo , i bought everything on the big side so if i need warmer stuff it can go underneath. How often here in Pa do we really need more than hip boots we should stay out of the water as much as possible anyhow.

I prefer stocking foot hip boots but I could not find any I liked. Hodgman stopped selling them. Orivs and Cabelas only have them without gravel guards and Frogg Toggs, which have a gravel guard have a warning about the ankle being too tight.

While I might rarely go above the depth of hippers, when I wear em, I very commonly get a wet rear end, or else end up looking like I wet myself. I do a lot of squatting. Plus you have those times where your foot slips down a rock and you get your leg in a roughly parallel position to the water. And, when walking between pools at a decent rate, lots of splashing.

I've have the hippers but have taken to wearing chesties even on brookie streams. But waste highs make a lot of sense for most streams, so long as you're also willing to keep a pair of chesties for the big waters.

Just used my waders from LL Bean for the first time today. (boot and stocking foot waisties)
OMG I will never consider going to full rubber boot waders ever again.
The last pair rubber boot waders I had always felt "sloppy" when I wore them (not to mention the quick leaks and dry rot)
Well worth the investment. (around 200.00 for the set)

Back