Streamer questions

J55tyger88

J55tyger88

Do you normally use indicators when using a streamer, say a wooly bugger? I was high sticking a deeper run with a Motos minnow, then swinging at the end of my drift with some bumps in between. I felt like i was maybe missing some strikes while high sticking so decided to put an indicator on, but during the swing i get a "v" wake from my indicator. Would like your thoughts on the subject.
Thanks in advance.

Most fly fishermen fishing streamers don't use strike indicators. However, it can be done and is esp effective if you're dead drifting the fly like a nymph (as you were doing with the Motos minnow). Allowing the dead drifted fly to swing is a good technique and the V-wake made by the strike indicator is not a problem.
I use strike indicators all the time when fishing streamers for bass.

I normally wouldn't use an indicator but it was a deep run and being a newb at high stick nymphing ( fly fishing in general) I thought I could increase my potential hook up rate. I saw the disturbance my indicator on top made and thought that to be a no no.

I use an indicator occasionally but only in the winter in slow and deep runs. What size/style indicator and streamer were you using?

Tyger, I don't think it is a problem to use an indicator. That being said. A heavy headed fly like the Moto or a bead head wolly bugger.
I prefer not to use one. I like to cast up stream, work the fly through the lies. Fishing it like a dry fly keeping up with the slack line. Once past the point where you can do that lift the rod and let it swing. I'll show you some time. Ive been itchen to get out. Just not while it is 10 degrees.

GenCon

I'd saw that you'd be better off w/o the indi. You'll lose a few more flies but you need to learn what the bottom feels like a what subtle 'takes' feel like. You can also let the fly sit on the bottom for a few seconds, twich it and let it sit again. You'll be surprised how may fish are curious and can't resist coming over to check it out.

Millerstime- I was using a size 8 motos minnow, and the indicator was just one of those "fish pimp" football style indicators.

Mike-I feel like i know what you mean, sorta...I was letting the dogs out yesterday, and was like, "eh, it aint that cold"...I only lasted about 2 hours. HAHA

Kray-I agree, I have no clue how subtle takes feel. I put a couple shot on and tried highsticking to try to feel the bumps and bottoms of the stream to feel what its like to tick bottom. I actually snagged a rock at the end of one of my drifts and as I was trying to unsnag it, I see a flash and a strike. Got me loose but spit me out while i was gathering myself.

If you are tight to your flies while high sticking you shouldn't miss many strikes. Especially if you are using a beefy fly like a Moro's. They should hit solidly.

You can drift your streamers under an indicator too though. A good method is to cast then throw a downstream mend to induce drag. The streamer will drift downstream slightly faster than the current at the bottom of the stream.

Or you can just dead drift.

However, swinging with an indicator is not advantageous IMO. The indicator may also twist your leader on the swing.

Kev

Great info so far. Usually the only times I use an indicator with streamers is when I'm using them in smaller sizes and fishing a moderately slow and deep pool. Often times I'll twitch it as it drifts the the hole, like you would fishing a small jig under a float for crappie. And I also fish smaller buggers(and other small stuff) under an indicator for steelhead all the time.

Most of the time I don't use an indicator, and I'll either just strip them or high stick(with a few twitches) and at the end of the drift let it swing then strip it in.

I've had success in the summer and fall with the motos minnow but knew the fish were lower and slower in the winter so I knew I had to get er down. I guess with the deeper pool I was fishing, an indi wouldn't spook as much.

Thanks for the input. So when high sticking do you try to keep your fly right along the bottom or kinda jig it and bounce it off the bottom? I haven't fished in deep winter before so this is all new to me.

I like to put a small amount of indicator putty about 1/3 or half way up my leader. I'm not sure if this is a good practice or not but my theory is that it still allows me to sight the vicinity of the fly and detect strikes but without the suspension you would get from a bobber style indicator. The putty is made to float but since I use a small amounts basically just an indicator that's allowed to sink. Depending on how much tension I keep on the line and depth of the water sometimes it's in the water sometimes its above the water

Never used the putty method. So the idea is to basically just have like a sighter with the putty?

J55tyger88 wrote:
. So when high sticking do you try to keep your fly right along the bottom or kinda jig it and bounce it off the bottom? I haven't fished in deep winter before so this is all new to me.

When tight line nymphing, you generally want to lead your fly through the drift with a minimal amount of tension without lifting it from the bottom.
If you are on the bottom the fly will be bouncing off rocks and whatever else is on the bottom so it's going to have movement without any help from you. With that said, you can certainly try imparting some more movement, particularly if you are fishing a streamer. This is usually a less is more situation.

J55......i'd forget about the bobber , it sounds like you are doing everything right to me just............the more you do it the more you will know the difference between those "bumps" and when to strike/set the hook.....you already got it , sharpen those hooks and strike just before the bump WELCOME N GOOD LUCK

It's new to me because I never got a "feel" for that type of nymphing. Only ever used an indi to "see" strikes.

I don't know about the rest of you but I don't like using split shot for weight. I find myself tying the same fly with a tung bead or brass, bigger or smaller lead wire for different depths/current speeds. I think this is hindering me too.

All depends on water speed and depth.

Never used the putty method. So the idea is to basically just have like a sighter with the putty?

Yes. I use a thingamabobber most of the time but if I want to loose the "suspension" aspect but still have a sighter, I go with putty. This allows the fly to drift on it's own accord, rather than the bobber drifting the fly.

I have tried using an indicator on several occasions with streamers with little success. When water is stained - I just keep the line as tight as I can and keep striping it. If it looks like an injured minnow, something should hit it.
My last trout of 2013 was caught on a chartruce and White streamer no indicator, stained water, and when the Trout hit it, I smiled and said "FISH ON"!
When I was down in MO fishing last March - one day an indicator worked nice with a nymph and the next day it did nothing.

Fly Fishing is Rocket Science for sure. Figuring out what the fish want on any given day is challenging. Even matching the hatch is no guarentee. I have about 2 or 3 go tos that work most of the time. But some days I am left to "just practicing." (nice way of saying skunked)

Penny,
I hear you! I have alot of days going to the stream with the thought of trying to figure out what they are eating, but end up just tying weird junk flies on and work on casting. Love this hobby, so just being out is almost good enough.

Back