Rock Bass

S

SteveG

Not sure if this belongs here, warm water, or the general forum.

I've read a few posts lately that suggest rock bass are becoming uncommon where they were once plentiful, namely the Susquehanna.

I don't have much knowledge/experience of ww fish or the Susky, either current or historically. I'm curious as to what others may think the cause is; pollution, invasives (flatheads-not sure how long they've been in the river, or how great of a population they've historically had vs today), or something else?

One place I do have some experience and historical knowledge is the Yellow Breeches (open water on lower end). My parents have lived on the water for the past 11 years, and eager rock bass were my go to in the summer when I'd stop over for dinner and have some time to burn. There have been some changes to the water in the their backyard, namely increased current, reduced silt, and wild browns (which is a delight). I was just curious, since the flatheads are out of the equation, if the water as a whole became more favorable to trout, is in turn less favorable to the rock bass? I must admit, I haven't taken their boat downstream to the deeper slow water above the Mechanicsburg water works at all this year.

It has been interesting watching the stream evolve over the past few years. An area just upstream from their property line used to be slow silty water only good for throwing streamers to rock bass. Now it's a flat with good current speed, clean gravel, tons of bugs, and plenty of risers during hatch activity.

I've definitely noticed less of them (and Redbreast Sunfish) in the Swatara recently, maybe the last 5 years or so. I've intermittently heard the same, that their population is crashing. They're not Smallmouth, so it doesn't get talked about, which is a shame. They're a blast on a fly rod though, especially the Redbreasts. Haven't caught a single one of either species this year so far. Nothing but Fallfish and Smallmouth...both of which seem to be fine population wise, in the Swattie at least.

I was encouraged by Dave_W's post recently about seeing spawning Redbreasts on the Juniata.

I challenge anyone to catch a Rock Bass in the Susquehanna River between Middletown and the Maryland line. Don't know what's happening with them north of here.

foxtrapper1972 wrote:
I challenge anyone to catch a Rock Bass in the Susquehanna River between Middletown and the Maryland line. Don't know what's happening with them north of here.

I'm pretty sure there is no data or surveys to reference or compare...
very unscientific, but the entire Susky was loaded with rockbass 20 years ago + and now they have all but disappeared from the River.

Mike? PFBC? Is this being looked at?

I live very close to the North Branch of the Susquehanna River, Falls, PA area. I caught 2 Rock Bass on dry flies last week while fishing for smallies.

Our smallmouth population is still very healthy. I have yet to see a smallie with any black marks or anything unusual.

I haven't seen any red breasted or "long eared" sunfish yet this summer, but I usually do see at least a couple.

What's happening down in the main branch is a crime. If the Rock Bass are disappearing you can bet the smaller minnows in the food chain have or will be gone as well.

The rock bass on the West Branch (lower Bald Eagle Creek as well)have pretty much disappeared as well. When I was a kid back in the 90s we would go and catch double digits every time out with rock bass. Now we don't even see any. They were always fun to catch and gave ya some action between the smallies. I would really like an answer as to what happened to them. You can't blame it on the predator fish like the flathead catfish up here.

I have noticed the same trend just about everywhere I used to catch them. I spent two full days this weekend on warmwater streams in MD and caught 1 single rock bass. Something is definitely up with them IMO.

I have not noticed any change in redbreast sunfish numbers though. Monocacy River is polluted with them.

I caught one decent sized rock bass below the Norman Wood bridge the other day. If your interested in rock bass try mill creek in the Lancaster county park. I usually catch a fair amount there but you have to hit it early to avoid all the people and dogs wading the stream.

Hopback- Thanks for the tip. I do find some in the smaller streams, tribs to river. Not many though. Area you talked of on river was at one time (15 yrs ago) full of Rock Bass. Hundreds in those pools along with Smallmouth Bass, Green Sunfish etc. Something has changed for the worse.

sarce wrote:
I have noticed the same trend just about everywhere I used to catch them.

Same here.

I think rockies are declining in most if not all the waterways I fish. They're still common in some sections (and some lakes) but other streams seem to have far fewer. I have no idea what the problem might be but I think the situation with rockies goes well beyond the issues with the lower Susky.
I still get 'em in the Juniata, but not as much as past years. Did notice a good number of them spawning in the lower Juniata, just a mile or so from the mouth.

Although I much prefer RB sunfish, rockies have sentimental value to me, as they do for many of you. This issue definitely begs for some scientific study.

SteveG wrote:
I was just curious, since the flatheads are out of the equation, if the water as a whole became more favorable to trout, is in turn less favorable to the rock bass?

Probably so.

Rockies definitely like the slower pools with woody cover and if a stream is transitioning to better trout habitat (as many streams in this area are) I would expect to see a change in other species. A drop in Rockies could be a result of these changes.

I don't see near the rock bass now in the Juniata as I used to. I would say they are fairly uncommon these days.

This thread will be moved to the WW forum shortly.
Thanks,
DW

I totally agree with the trend we're seeing. I do a fair amount of WW fishing for smallies and carp and as a rule have always caught a decent amount of rock bass during these outings. I'm still catching my share of Redbreast Sunnies but I have yet to catch a rock bass this year.

You never hear any talk from the PaFBC about this either... I think they are too embarrassed... A once vibrant, bountiful population of fish almost vanished from our waters under their watch. Hopefully there is still a solution.

My brother reports fewer rock bass in the Allegheny than when he was younger. I don't ever catch any, but that may be in the how and where we were fishing. I think he fished rock bass habitat (deep slow pools with those giant boulders along the deep bank.) And, for sure, this change would NOT be due to water quality. The Allegheny is probably cleaner now that it has been for 100 years or more. And when oil refineries were dumping waste tar and sulfuric acid into the river, that ain't a high bar to reach!

BTW: that's not happening anymore. There is a great brown drake hatch just below the Warren refinery.

I DO believe that I heard that rock bass are more pollution sensitive than smallies. They, like suckers and helgramites are assumed to be nasty water inhabitants when really, the opposite is true.

Syl

Well, I met up with a buddy to fish a little this evening. Lo and behold, we caught a few rockies, although not in the type of water I would expect to find them. We thought we'd see more smallies due to the amount of baitfish around, but they were scarce.

Saw rock bass and redbreasts in the lower Susquehanna today, with the species seen dependent on the location. Given that their size was smaller than would be attractive to anglers, they are still reproducing.

Mike wrote:
Saw rock bass and redbreasts in the lower Susquehanna today, with the species seen dependent on the location. Given that their size was smaller than would be attractive to anglers, they are still reproducing.

Good to hear.

Back