Philadelphia on the Fly

T

tobewan77

Just saw this book a bit ago and started reading last night. Short & interesting piece. Some poetic hyperbole in there but seems like a nice easy read.

Anyone read this thing through? Fish the Wissahickon much? Just starting to fish it after living in Plymouth Meeting over 6 years. Nice stream that i can get to fairly quickly.

being from the city, i enjoyed it too. i believe the author might even be a member here? could be wrong there tho.

it gets a bad rap, but it can be a fun creek to fish...bass, panfish, carp, and the occasional leftover trout.

jay348 wrote:
i believe the author might even be a member here? could be wrong there tho.

Correct. I believe he posts under the forum name RonP but I'm not sure. He hasn't posted a lot lately. Hopefully he'll chime in if you've got questions.

Just finished the book. Kind of a journal of the guy's time fishing the area with some insight into the water.

I liked the book, easy read but would've liked to see more description into the runs and pools and entomology of the streams. But that just leaves me more to discover myself, if i can ever get some time on the water!

Just finished reading this book. Found it an easy and interesting read. Well worth the price I paid on Amazon.

Actually had to force myself to put it down or else nothing would get done around the house.

Charlie

tobewan77 wrote:

entomology of the streams.

Just write this word somewhere in the book with a ballpoint pen:

MIDGES

Done! :)

HA, nice. That's the truth too. This water takes such a beating from runoff and sewage treatment I'm not sure there can be much more.

I think his name on here is RonP. I met him when he was a guest speaker for me one month at VFTU when I was booking speakers for the monthly meetings. Nice guy and a pretty talented writer. I meant to PM him awhile back when I saw some of his stuff in a magazine I was reading.

Happy New Year!

I am happy to have stumbled on this current conversation about my little book of Philadelphia fly fishing stories. PotF is over five years in print, so it's a good feeling to know people are still reading and talking about the book.

I also appreciate the candid feedback. The book was written as a collection of informative tales in the manner of John Gierach, thus I admit I didn't go as in depth into the techinicalities as some readers might demand. As for Wissahickon hatches: midges, yes, but also tan caddis and yes, mayflies. I have witnessed some amazing mayfly hatches there on late May and early June evenings, especially when the sky is overcast. The variety I have seen is a size 16 and pale green to cream in color; I can't be more specific, as entomoiogy remains my weakest link.

This past year I have kept a low profile at paflyfish because I have been writing stories for The Flyfish Journal and have been been focused on spreading the word about the sequel - Small Fry: The Lure of the Little. This book profiles ten different trout, bass, and panfish species and the setting includes Pennsylvania in general, not just the Wissahickon, although there is a lot of content about that creek. You can take a look here:

Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Small-Fry-Ron-P-Swegman/dp/0984267700/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260539926&sr=1-3

The Whitefish Press

http://www.whitefishpress.com/bookdetail.asp?book=87

Thanks again for the thumbs up. Feel free to drop me a pm if you would like any more info about my books, or the Wissahickon, or advice on writing.

Rod & Reeling Regards,

-- ron P. swegman

Back