Favorite PA FFing YouTube Channels

Swattie87

Swattie87

A few of my favorites below. These are all slickly produced, and for the most part are pretty lighthearted in nature...Mostly just friends out FFing together and having a good time doing it. My kinda deal.

Allegheny Native
Hardway Outdoors
The Everyday Outdoorsmen (Formerly Pennsylvania Outdoors Unlimited)
Lively Legz/Living4theoutdoors
Backyard Angling

Not sure if any of these guys are PAFF members or read the site, but if so, thanks for the time and effort you put into making these videos. Definitely helps with the Cabin Fever.

Found Wooly Bugged a few weeks ago. Simple, to the point, local/familiar waters. Sense of adventure and exploration with the complex love of the brookie.

My favorites have all been listed, I really enjoy the Allegheny Native. One of the productions that has been mentioned has a history of spot burning some really remote streams in NCPA. I know many individuals contacted them and in response he doesn't seem to give away his stream locations as readily as before. The resources are out there to be enjoyed by all, but that does not mean we need to publicize some of the great remote small wt streams in manner that could lead to significant increases in fishing pressure. Most importantly I think one of my favorite progressions as an angler has been exploring new streams in particular, remote wild trout streams that do not get heavily pressured.

I enjoy watching Wooly Bugged as mentioned, and I also like West Virginia Wild. Really, there's a bunch of them.

Wooly Bugged and Allegheny Native for me.

All of these channels are entertaining and adventurous- it is especially nice to see the evolution from rookie to competent fly fisher over the course of the episodes of most of the listed channels. I always look forward to new uploads!

I never seen or heard of any of these and frankly I never went looking for such channels because FF videos tend to be overly dramatic nature pieces.

With that said, I sat down and went through a few wooly bugged videos and I got to say...... I really liked them. Simple, down to earth and fishing centered. I will Check out some of the others. Great thread!

I like Wooly Bugged and PA Woods n Water for fishing trips and Tightline and Jim Misiura for fly tying.

The New Fly Fisher puts out some great videos. The video on page 5 right here on paflyfish, Learn from Joe is outstanding IMO.
For fly tying it is hard to beat Tim Flagler at Tightline videos, I have learned many tips and tricks from him. He gets right to the tying, a very knowledgeable fly tyer and very easy to understand.

wangdb wrote:
I really enjoy Wooly Bugged and PA WOODS N WATER.

These are my two favs . If I ever meet the Pa woods and water guy I will ask him to stop putting his rod in his mouth and narrating while unhooking his fish and stick it under his arm instead so he stops talking with the rod in his mouth .

I really don't like it when people in Fly fishing videos are over the top lighthearted/fake nice, some of those 80's early 90's fly fishing videos on VHS make me cringe

New fly fisher for me has gone down in quality its basically a Canadian lodge advertising agency now. Colin McKeown made his daughter a host and she is very unqualified and coached by her dad the whole time during filming , this bothers me because they have so many top notch hosts if you want a women host have Rebekka Redd do more episodes .

PSUhorty wrote:
Wooly Bugged and Allegheny Native for me.

Ditto. Both very well done PA YouTube channels! I binge watched just about all the WB episodes in the last week. I don't know if I'd have the patience to set up all the equipment to document my trips like Mike does though. I just like putting boots on the ground and hitting the stream. I suppose once you do enough documentation, you get good at planting cameras, editing, etc.

Simply as an addition to the list: Eric Stroup Flyfishing on Vimeo

Most of these are on the LJ.

For sheer enjoyment, the Swedish exploits by Carpe Diem create the kind of atmosphere I am drawn to even if I don't understand what they are saying. The cinematic quality is impeccable. Carpe Diem Youtube Videos

Wholly bugged- here’s what you need to know, get your self an 9 Ft extruded leader , tie on a squirmy and a frenchie dropper and go fish a keystone select. That’s most of the videos.

I’m not ripping him, it’s fine but he does the same thing over and over.

Be more impressed if he was fishing hatches and talking about hatches and rises sometimes.

Facebook and Instagram pages for fly fishing are nauseating with grip and grind

Im going to revive this thread and add Suffering Outdoors to the list. Just came across the channel and they have a lot of great content with high quality video.

I recently came across another up and coming channel from PA, OSNY fishing adventures, somehow this kid has quite the following, but I am not a fan of his production style. It seems that he has recently paired up with a more veteran individual and they plan to create a new channel with content focused on wild trout conservation topics. Sounds like a great idea, but it seems like this kid has a lot to learn before he can teach trout management in PA.

Suffering Outdoors! That sounds fun.

Oh well, it beats suffering indoors, IMHO.

It is an interesting name, I think I saw one of their hunting videos discuss the reason. Something along the lines of anything worth having or being successful often requires some suffering. It appears they hunt all public ground and cover quite a bit of ground in their fishing videos so I am sure there is some "suffering" involved.

I like all the names mentioned, but I would like to mention George Daniels and Joe Humphrey's videos, I also came across again Mel Kreiger on fly casting and turned around a bought his book.I really like Mike with wooly bugged he has given me inspiration he goes over his equipment that he uses, the areas he has fished. Check out the video project healing waters its a great one.

Back