Yellow Breeches Outfitters is Closed

F

Fishidiot

The fly shop is closed. There is no going-out-of-business sale - the doors are shut.

The building has changed ownership and a good possibility exists of a fly shop returning to the building in the future.

In the meantime, if you're travelling to the Cumberland Valley and need FFing gear, you will wish to make a stop at another vendor (Bass Pro in Harrisburg or Gander Mountain in Harrisburg and Chambersburg are options).

Will keep you posted.

No disrespect intended to anyone willing to try and run a "successful" (meaning profit generating) fly shop, but if you don't have serious cash flow...

...you are doomed to failure.

The writing was on the wall at YBO since Emily sold the business.

No fly shop in Southcentral PA, amazing!!

Good luck to Ronald in any future endeavors!

I will miss Rowland running the shop. He was always helpful and a nice guy to talk to. I heard that he had to shut it down because of health issues. Overall I think he did a good job running the shop but he would usually have a good amount of stuff out of stock. I hope TCO takes it over as one of their branches. Interested to see who takes the building. Good luck Rowland.

Happily TCO failed miserably in Carlisle once so I doubt they will try again. At least I hope not.

The Yellow Breeches Shop, Boiling Springs and the legacy of the days when guys like Koch, Shenk and Baltz ran the place deserve a whole lot better.

You're right and I agree. But Baltz and Shenk will never take it back over. We'll see, now I have to watch the Super Bowl.

Sorry to hear of a local shop closing.

Its a tough climate to have a brick and mortar store these days. As much as I'd like to see a smaller business go in there, I don't think it'd be feasible. I'll miss chatting with Rowland and Tom in there.

Is that the Orvis Shop?

That's a shame, really enjoyed my times visiting YBO

That's a shame for Rowland. Very nice guy. Well, maybe I'll get to see him fishing again and not stuck in the shop. Hope his health is good.

Knew the place was in trouble when I was in a couple weeks ago and there was no inventory. Way back when I got into the fly fishing game Gary was a huge help. He did everything he could to help a young kid get started. Used to stop in a couple of times a week just to shoot the breeze with him. Sad news for sure. I am starting to feel like an old timer dreaming of the good ole days.

I don't think there was a lot of inventory toward the end of when Emily owned it. I was hoping Rowland would have success. I sure miss the old days of Koch et al. Bought my first bamboo rod there.

That's certainly unwelcome news, but I have to say I'm not surprised.

TCO has bought the store. They are planning to re-open in 2016.
Mike

Sad news. But glad there is still a future in sight. I was in back close to Spring and with low inventory something just didn't feel right.

This has been in the works for some time. Best of Luck to Rowland, great guy. I wonder where Joe, Ed and Ed will meet Saturdays while YBO is closed?

I'm hopeful to see TCO be a positive addition to the local Fly Fishing community.

Bamboozle wrote:
firandfeather wrote:
TCO has bought the store. They are planning to re-open in 2016.
Mike

More bad news...

Would love to know why this is bad news. I have been a long time customer of TCO's Reading store. Their staff and customer service is second to none. Always willing to offer advice on tying, gear, etc. Great inventory from tying supplies to clothing, wading gear rods & reels, etc.

They are one retail operation in a highly specialized market that seems to "get" how to operate in a modern world where everything is available on-line and the big box stores dominate in most places.

I think they also promote conservation and will be a good presence in the Cumberland Valley.

I have found the opposite and find their stores understocked or having limited high-end inventory only and found their employees rude and indifferent, especially at the Bryn Mawr store. It took everything I had not to to pop the smug punks they had working there the first & last time I went there.

They also left their previous Carlisle employees unemployed without warning. Not such a classy move IMHO so I take their positive presence in the Cumberland Valley with a grain of salt.

I'm glad there is an Internet and I pass Cabela's on the way 'cause I will never shop there.

Too bad about it closing. I liked Rowland. I bought a few things there but they usually didn't have much that I needed for tying and not many flies for sale etc.

I'm not big on snooty fly shop employees. Big turn off.
There's plenty of that crap in the flyfishing scene. That said,
I've had many good experiences with the TCO in Reading area. I hope they carry that good, helpful, down to earth vibe to the Breeches store.

Back