Mousin

E

edhank

Do any of yinz in swpa go mousing in the summertime?

Done it up here in Skook county for Browns with some success heard of a few guys that do better at night ten pound leader

Do a lot of mousing for a variety of species here in SCPA.
There has been a lot of mouse threads and discussion over the years.

I believe Salmonoid had - at least for awhile - an effort to get a brown at night on a mouse every month of the year(?).

Can see below my mouse fly in action...

Attachments

• Ms2.JPG
    Ms2.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 11
Not really Dave....please upload the video :)

I guess because of all the rain we had in 2018, cabin fever will be reaching out to everyone soon. Especially if you don't do the winter fish.

I hardly do any mousing but that is the best looking mouse pattern I've ever seen.

Dave,

Tying a dead feild mouse on your line is bait fishing ;-)
Nice pattern!

Dave_W wrote:
Do a lot of mousing for a variety of species here in SCPA.
There has been a lot of mouse threads and discussion over the years.

I believe Salmonoid had - at least for awhile - an effort to get a brown at night on a mouse every month of the year(?).

Can see below my mouse fly in action...

Still in the game, but January through April have eluded me (and I'll take any trout or char species, not just limited to browns). Will have to put together a photo essay of the months once this elusive goal is reached.

Mouse patterns catch this fisherman as much as they do fish; just invested in a few Bill Mart's Zulu Tube Rats and Mice patterns to complement the other half dozen or so patterns that I have or have used, just because I had never used them before. While I really enjoy night-time mouse fishing, and probably stick to it too long some evenings, I'd suggest to not ignore big wet flies at night. They are equally or more effective, and if you're investing the energy to be awake, invest a bit more in switching up your offering. Or fish a big dry/dropper; think mouse/pusher, or Moosetail irresistible/Crazy Charlie or hopper/Zonker (all combos that have produced a fish at night for me). Mice work for steelhead occasionally too; landed a nice fish on the Manchester Hole on Walnut Creek a few years ago in the middle of the afternoon. Saw a fish taking off the surface occasionally and decided to try swinging a mouse and he charged it on the second cast.

Last year, I was fishing a pool that was absolutely invaded with an influx of frogs and toads. The noise was deafening and with the presence of so many amphibians scooting around the water, I wasn't even sure if I could fool any fish, with those other live offerings available. Managed to get three, each fish successively bigger. Biggest boy from that night, maybe 18", on a Mr. Hankey...

qgR-3cK4UVFIP3oW5d3fn9JorLSaW6GEmI-yH6kFFe-kJPHS9T2u4yrDjrQTVjQTZzd1bV3f7geMttRpek52KIfB8hf2CdzrJGJc4V7YMAANGJmgO3PaOJ0wwXAVowVz0-SO1EgXiYUFOgZsGJLUqsUj30okF8sPy3MUj8HMARdJ4hqI1hxMbIE6d0GsXtyfbIYGNHV_ZZE0trjT8BQTPGUqefCbiJDpZBj88GvUwaV2d7Zz13TUu1eZW2DAGKexn6U2XuY3QTDbpBfoV6ipbzOhAqj1HbCj3Xd0yH8Bl_Vn60gMDFmG-W9UlXhINjG5MhN2DGbOdV1xEOyjy-JiGfHWbosaoJU8WuyRLafiknKPwfgfqr0jSO-lrb3zN3BEnaDez9bbemfzuMg1T-EiGRmHGLpSZCnPg6Ru1IzYIcTtQ82u3rg004kBUhm3fhv5NLNkjoJJElefRNQR009REbu7x3guWJQSn7jxRmgfhQUimIrvjCp1n0hme096UWRKCYbxqtrWtpgSQrAshfVQK6FYU8CxXqAM2OIXstcw8Zj4WwQWnXAbu6kBQBRiWzSA-mLw2cCGIyenHsYGUrJ1CZdiwMfU24jRtS_-mXpg2pDklXakrIgMxCy5jL7q3vtVVvY-_22YTmIzdah6CesOzNunc19ABM6qvgTLyJyHzVIxBKgY2eSjCIAkWh1mBjJTUg34MjYR9xV1MiR8oMY=w1901-h1070-no

CsxrMNR6E6EfYJL-16ctDM00xwo2Ksil69fL5-ekTe9H8WQyDJpdnrYAHf7zd1a0ErspNMqG5oyLDApVgu6pR4CoLNnsy_RxPanYswowgr5bleM-LNM55sj_cfk2pmlg26RuiJuNjxKl9GdDpkzrQqu5sI_aau0s9BfRJG3OhQg0AexgHdVfdGTzq_dkoOu_FrIxm89AbPCdEcU6y71ipi5u-6k-eOUeD-4La42is_8l_lFZuUHRIXPG-s-pKbu4eJNZNRWoqjjtqd01sIkc6KA_uDaYLe-wLqnk011NmaFyXHOTj65PKsdobCvPX1gUxec1Cg0-P08Kh3LGOkFQVKcTkBele4LMwn-OpP1u-CXR7w78rlJgP245GdU9rWBwIkbjX1CVKbr4KnI_ROg1iSxBFuHBNYR6K8EgmxeKx5VA2J8YHcfqzG2P5X4ICDb3vv_vR7s221L05i-xluUZRKQ0offMqCSdv5_BOACezbAwAadDroPdVHxEgmx8poazQ9yWnqIju9NNib5RudCyEHdbthgJLmMqYK3Vrm5JcHNrmiYo1MEr6JGNpnq0Nhrz6qnWhDQlIpzkEeXeZEggSSz0SG-chi6aQJ4vneMfLPKT5HcpWDMkBJLdHtmjlmaVw_oe5Mblp6blH3Sn6naQJASMrnlPLg_8a7hiJFYAwOOxH4m1F4ttmJjqsp6cwMO_MHHt6Cjn-qGYGIXbtlg=w1901-h1070-no

Also, worth noting, the most life-like looking mouse fly is probably not the most effective mouse fly. You want something that mimics the motion of a swimming mouse; moves water the same way a swimming mouse does; sits or moves in the water column the same way a swimming mouse does. And really, in some ways, it doesn't matter what you think it is. You only need to fool a fish into thinking there is something alive, with a hefty calorie offering available as a meal.

Good stuff salmonoid.

When you've completed this project, or are otherwise ready, think about writing up an article with some tips and pics - would make a knock-out good blog article. PM if you'd like to discuss.

I second that suggestion!

I bought a Morrish mouse cutter and love it . I caught a six pound bowfin on a Morrish mouse that I tied using the cutter so you can say that I'm hooked . I just found out there is a 2.0 version with a up turned hook I'm going to give that a try this summer. https://www.caddisflyshop.com/morrish-mouse-foam-body-cutter.html

https://www.deneki.com/2018/03/the-morrish-mouse-2-0-tying-instructions/

20170711_094720.jpg

yes where appropriate.

Back