More fish carvings

MathFish

MathFish

For the past few years I have been carving trout pinewood derby cars during the week between Christmas and New Years. The first two cars were raced and the last four were made just for fun. I shared those endeavors on this site and figured I would share my newest carvings this year. This year though I didn't make any derby cars, I made some more of my small scale fish carvings, so that is what I have to share this year.

This past summer I tried my hand at carving some small scale trout and I have posted three of those projects. Here is the links to those posts. Small scale brook and brown trout & First gemmie carving

In the past year, I have made 22 total little fish carvings, 19 trout and 3 smallmouth bass. I made each by cutting out the rough forms using a scroll saw and then finalized the forms using an X-acto knife #11 blade and sandpaper. I finally wised up and invested in some proper carving knives last weekend and I am kicking myself for not doing that sooner! I think I'll end up gouging my fingers less and end up carving a little bit quicker.

Anways, here are some of the fish I ended up making this past fall that I would like to share.

Back in September, I made two other 5 inch long wild fish carvings other than the gemmie carving. They were my attempt to replicate true to scale little wild fish. These are the small wild brown trout and the small wild rainbow carvings.

49306238317_5b231bc601_k.jpg

49306238012_c2f6c98164_h.jpg

49306031426_e797069d6a_k.jpg

49306237327_cfd4734ae5_k.jpg

49306239402_ed7919d205_k.jpg

49306239737_cb831cf674_h.jpg

49306238982_23870d1a46_h.jpg

Later this in the Fall I took a crack at making a cutthroat trout. I have never been out west to have the opportunity to fish for any, but it is on my to-do list. I scoured the internet for photos to examine to be able to paint this one. I found it difficult to paint it since there aren't many contrasting colors on their sides and it was kind of tough for me to figure out how to blend the subtle color changes.

49306237092_73bf377e65_h.jpg

49306236767_1e37d397cc_h.jpg

With the last week I made a newer small scale version of a larger brook trout. I had only one in my collection that I ended up giving away as a gift to my cousin for doing a favor for me. I made a little tweak to the rock base for this new one though. I was out fishing the day after Christmas and I happened to come across some chunks of coal that must have been tumbling in the creek long enough to be formed into a flat river rocks. I thought that the coal river rock would be a fitting base for PA brook trout given the coal mining heritage of our state. It also serves as a nice contrast to the brook trout coloration.

49306240522_3aef700b72_h.jpg

49305539908_effd6d053a_h.jpg

49305539578_ea9666e9cf_h.jpg

Lastly, I was asked to carve a smallmouth bass for a friend/coworker as a gift for her son. I don't typically fish for smallmouths, so I don't really have a sense of their form, so I had to scour the internet for pictures of smallmouths to get a sense of the shape. I also ran my sketches past another coworker of mine to critique the taper I drew for the top side of the fish since I didn't have much luck finding this vantage point of a smallmouth online. I ended up making an extra one for myself so that I have a model to base any future ones I might carve. I am pleased with how it turned out, but I haven't given it to her to find out if she is pleased with it yet.

49306241497_9864814b8a_h.jpg

49306035001_7fdcecd63d_h.jpg

I was able to put a nice curve in the dorsal, anal and caudal fins for the smallmouth, but I couldn't quite pull off putting a curve to the overall fish like I am able to do with my trout carvings, but all in all I am happy with the overall shape of the smallmouth carving. Also, the process of making the smallies has inspired me to make more of a point to fish for some this coming year!

Thanks for reading! Happy New Year!

The paint job on the rainbow is so vibrant! Very nicely done! It seems like you've really got it down too with how many you've made. Keep posting results!

Very nice.

Mathfish,
Those are beautiful! Sure wish I had your talent. (and patience)

Very cool...great job

Nice artistry. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

What is your painting technique?

I've seen nice carvings with not-so-nice paint jobs. Yours are fantastic. Great work!

Thanks for the compliments.

I paint with inexpensive acrylic paints that I bought at a craft store with mid-level brushes. I’ve been told that typically the more that you spend on acrylics, the better the quality. I gave that a try, spending about $10 on one tube of an off-white and a green. Though it is clearly a superior quality paint, it’s thicker, it spreads more evenly and it’s much smoother when it dries, I couldn’t get it to lay the way I wanted it to, whereas I could with the inexpensive acrylics. So, I’m sticking with the inexpensive stuff.

Great talent.

Beautiful work!! I especially like the cutthroat.

You might want to try an acrylic paint medium to thin your higher grade paint. Mixing it in with your paint will thin it and will make it spread easier.

Gloss Medium

Looking forward to seeing more of your carvings.

Well done - as usual.

I like the SMB - and not just because I'm a bass enthusiast. I like your fish because many warm water species are harder to replicate artistically than trout. A SMB's coloration is subtle with shaded gradations between light and dark involving the same colors (walleyes are even harder in this regard). Moreover, those changes in color on a bass are contained in individual scales, unlike trout where spotting is "over" the scales. Fins on WW species are also harder for an artist (much more so for a carver than a painter) because the fins are larger and more complex than salmonids.

Kudos!

Dave_W

Thanks for the compliments (and everyone else for that matter). I am in complete agreement with you about WW fish versus trout. The subtle color changes are way more intimidating to replicate than the colors and spot patterns on trout, coupled with the complexity of the fins it is even more so of a challenge. Personally, I am more of a trout fan as far as fishing goes, but I am much prouder of my carvings of my WW fish, the bass and my newest walleye carving than I am of my trout carvings.

Dave_W I hope you got to see the walleye I carved this year in my newest post for this year which I stupidly entitled the same as last year’s. They are both titles “More fish carvings”. I should probably take the year in the title next time... I think that walleye is my best yet. In fact, it’s making me carve my trout with a bit more attention to the details. Thanks again!

MathFish wrote:

Dave_W I hope you got to see the walleye I carved this year in my newest post for this year

I did see it and the first thing I looked for was the white tail edge (you nailed it). That's why I mentioned walleyes in the previous post.

Keep 'em comin.

Back