Freshwater Mussels?

KMC

KMC

Hello all,
I am a student studying American native freshwater pearly mussels. I am looking for people who come across the little (sometime not so little) buggers when outdoors. I would love anyone who finds the muskrat middens on the side of the rivers/lakes (or how ever they come across the mussels) to box up a bunch of paired fellas big and small and send them my way. I am only looking for dead/spent shells, not live ones. I collect and study and write about all the different species. I'm not concered about big or small, the more different ones the better. Anyone who would be able to help me with my studies by just picking up a bunch of the spent shells you might find while fishing would be a HUGE help in my studies. I would certainly compensate you for your effort and of course pay for shipping too. The only requirements would be that you provide matching paired (not single) valves and that they are not totally broken (they don't have to be absolutely perfect with no chips at all, but the cleaner with their natural "skin" the better). I've been trying to make contacts with people across the country that naturally run into mussels while out fishing or hiking that might be able to just pick up shells they come across without it being a big hassle for them. I can't thank enough anyone who would consider assisting me with this project. You can contact me through this site or directly at kczaja@fas.harvard.edu. Thank You!!!!! And good fishing!!!
-Kevin

Kevin,
It sounds like you're working on an intriguing science project. Local freshwater bivalves aren't typically a critter we're well informed about (obviously, aquatic insects are larger on our radar screen - as you know if you're a fly fisherman). Anyway, I can attest that many of the waters I frequent have a large quantity of mussels (or maybe they're freshwater clams?) and I'd be happy to collect some for yuh. Just to clarify - what I'm thinking about are the small (typically about half an inch), dark clam shells found in local creeks and rivers. They often exhibit a rubbery, white coating on the shell and are shaped like the typical "clams" one associates with saltwater. Are these what you are looking to collect? The Potomac and Juniata/Susky Rivers are loaded with 'em, so much so that they sometimes form shoals in the tail end of pools. I can certainly find some of these rascals for you and will let you know where they're from.
Good luck with your project.

One of my very earliest memories was of a cabin along a creek somewhere near Hanover and hearing people talking about the mussels-probably sixty five years ago-no help I am afraid.

Hello Fishidiot,
thank you so much for the reply and the offer to help! It does sound like you might be describing one of the two possible freshwater clams that I don't actually study. These are Asian invasive bivalves. The one I think you might be finding in such large quantities is called the Asian Clam and does not usually get much larger than a inch in size. Another problematic invasive is the zebra mussel that has particularly ravaged the great lake ecosystems. I am off to bed right now. But I will give a little freshwater clam picture tutorial when I get a chance tomorrow. That way everyone can see exactly what it is that keeps the waters clean for those delicious fish! Stay tuned... :)
-Thanks again, Kevin

I only wish such stories were uncommon! Native freshwater mussels are no longer thriving like they once were for a whole host of reasons. Studying the "why's" is a big part of my interest in these somewhat charisma-challenged river dwellers.

pete41 wrote:
One of my very earliest memories was of a cabin along a creek somewhere near Hanover and hearing people talking about the mussels-probably sixty five years ago-no help I am afraid.

KMC, I picked this one up today over the Youghiogheny River so I can see if it is the one you want. there are a lot, but they are all this size.

I have seen large ones in the Monongahela River, but don't get there often even though it is only a couple miles from my house. Those are probably 3-5 inches average.

Attachments

• mussel1.jpg
    mussel1.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 9
  • mussel2.jpg
    mussel2.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 8
  • mussel3.jpg
    mussel3.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 8
I collected a few tonight from the Potomac. Once I got to looking, I discovered some that were as large as the saltwater variety common on beaches. Of course there were tons of the little ones too.

Hello again,
so the little ones are the invasive asian clams. It is a sad fact that they tend to be more common then our native mussels in our waterbodies these days. This is true in New England too. Thanks for the pics. I was going to do a picture tutorial on the differences between native pearly mussels and the invasive bivalves, but I don't think I can do a better job in illustrating the invasive Asian Clams. As for the bigger fellas you found in the Potomac, those have to be the native freshwater mussels I study. The simple reason is that Asian Clams only ever rarely reach 1.5 inches, are are more typically in the 1 inch range. The only other possible freshwater bivalve that can be confused with a native pearly mussel is the diabolical Zebra Mussel. However, this species does not get larger than an inch. So if you find a freshwater bivalve bigger than 1.5 inches you are pretty much assured it is a native mussel (and only a few native species grow only to about an inch, but are oblong and not roundish like the Asian Clam). Another tell-tale aspect for native mussels is that (assuming the shell is not exceptionally eroded), they all have a pearly sheen inside (which is why they were historically harvested for buttons and pearls). Here is another example of the invasive Asian Clam:
http://www.europe-aliens.org/images/LimitedSize/240_58_1_Spp_Corbicula.jpg

Here are insideous zebra mussels smothering a poor freshwater mussel:
http://www.fws.gov/Midwest/mussel/images/zebra_mussels_on_native2_620.jpg

And here are some examples of various native freshwater mussels:
http://www.cst.cmich.edu/users/zanat1d/For_Website/SydenhamMussels.JPG

http://www.gpnc.org/images/jpegs/animals/VerdigrisMussels.JPG

KMC,
I'll box 'em up and send them to you. I'll send you an email shortly.

I haven't gotten up that way in quite a while, but the Susky above Millersburg used to be loaded, and I mean loaded with mussels in the 3-4 inch range. The last time I was there was 4 or 5 years ago and they were still there. I'll hit up some of my buddies that still live up that way and see if they can snag me a few. I actually had a friend who used to eat them, and yes, out of the Susquehanna. No thanks on the eating part, but I'll try to get my hands on some if I can.

Boyer

Hello Matt,
thank you so much. I look forward to what ever your friends might turn up. There are lots of interesting species around the Susquehanna. Yeah, I've heard many reports of mussels tasting like eating your shoe if perhaps its was burried in mud for a few years! Hey but to each there own!
-Thanks again for the help, Kevin :)

there is a large study going on the susky and tribs to find why there are no young mussels. seems there is a connection between them and eels. we havn't had eels here since the 70's (dams have stopped them)

We have them all the time in the back of our property. I guess it's considered wetlands. A beaver dam creek that has dammed and let go many times for many reasons. Trappers most. I'll take a walk with my goldens, they are antzy anyway, see what I can find. I'll get back to you and see how you want them packaged.

Hello Sandfly,
yes dams are actually an impediment to native mussel reproduction believe or not. You see they have a very unusual reproduction method. Females who are fertilized by the males attract certain fish and "infect" their gills with what are called Glochidia. These little barbed fellas hitch a ride on the fish and eventually drop off where they grow into full sized mussels. Crazy stuff. However, if a fish cannot migrate up stream due to a dam, mussels cannot spread their seed for new generations anywhere beyond the dam. I guess the mussels in that area must use eels to spread the glochidia.
-Take care, Kevin

Hello Wetnet,
thank you so much for the help! I hope you find a bunch.
-Take care, Kevin

PS, I love Goldens btw! My parents had them growing up. So friendly!

Kevin,
I picked up a few more for you this weekend. I have been looking for the larger shells and will continue to search some of the waterways here in central PA and northern MD. I got some from Yellow Breeches Creek yesterday but there were only the little fellas, evidently the Asian invasives. I did find some big versions (3-4") on Conodoguinet Creek today though. What I have been doing is putting the shells in zip-lock bags with a post-it notes inside indicating the stream, county, watershed, date and state where found. These bags will then be shipped to you later this summer in a small card board box. Does this work for you or am I missing something?

What you are doing is actually pretty perfect. If you might be able to add the closest landmark where you found the shells, that would be useful too. So the closest road or other relatively stable landmark would be great. So for example: "South of Rt. 16 bridge" or "just east of downtown Middletown" or "or near such and such park." This little bit of added info allows for drawing conclusions about the health and fauna of specific parts of different waterbodies. As always the more detail, the more valuable the information. Also, not at all necessary, but just something to add if you happen to make note of it, is the substrate near where you found the shells. Again, don't feel like you need to include this, but if you happen to note that the river/lake bottom is pure "mud" or "gravel," or "sand," or "rocky," or even "muddy sand", etc.., that's useful to note. But again, I don't want you to worry about wracking your brains too much when in the field. I appreciate just the fact that you've gone to the effort you already have to help me. But if you find time to note any of the above, its icing on the cake. :)

And I'm not surprised to hear you found some specimens in Conodoguinet Creek. This is a stream that I know from information I have from a professor who studied the area in the 1950s, that this stream was was very productive for native mussels (at least back then). I'm glad to hear that they are still there. I think the most famous river for interesting native mussels in PA is French Creek. Not sure if that is anywhere near you.
-Thank you so much again, Kevin

Hello Dave,
I hadn't heard from you in a bit. Did you by chance find any more mussels shells? No rush by any means, just thought I'd check in. Hope all is well with you!
-Take care, Kevin

I found these about a week ago on Slippery Rock Creek, north of Rte 422. I am holding them until I get more to send. Are these finally the ones you are looking for?

SlipperyRock1.jpg

SlipperyRock2.jpg

SlipperyRock3.jpg

This turned out to be a very interresting thread, I can't wait to get out and see what I can find. Over the years I have seen many, especially in the Susky.

Matt like you I ain't eaten nothing out of the river. Im sure it has clean it self up but I can still remember many years ago the( TP hatch) when you had to shake your line off, before you reeled it in to get the toilet paper off...what fond memories!

PaulG

Back