Clubs stocking

laszlo

laszlo

I didn't want to hi-jack BIG-BASS's thread "Brusier in a local by me.." but in that thread troutbert mentioned clubs possibly stocking in a class A stream. Does anyone know if clubs have any restrictions as to where they can stock? what fish they can stock? Must they need a special permit?

Was trying to find something quick via Google but no luck. Maybe some details in this document might help. Document titled : Strategic Management of Trout Fisheries in Pennsylvania 2010-2014. I'm at work so can't spend a lot of time reading it.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/pafish/trout/trout_plan/troutplan2010.pdf

Wonder if there is a plan for 2015-2019 in the works....

Cooperative Nurseries are prohibited from stocking Class A stream sections. They are not prohibited from stocking streams not on the approved trout water list though. But if they are Class A they cannot stock them.

Coop Nurseries also are required to report the scheduled stockings each year by march 1. And then should they change the altered stocking dates and confirmation of each scheduled stocking for the purpose of law enforcement.

If a class a section of stream is being stocked I would recommend reporting it to the Cooperative Nursery Unit.

In our watershed local Coops have been asked to stop stocking Class B stream(s).

Aside from clubs what about individuals stocking Class A waters? I assume that that would also be forbidden. I was recently fishing a Class A stream and noticed that I saw a huge trout up stream from me. I then noticed that I soon entered a lot of posted signs on each bank of the stream as well as a cable stretched across the stream showing yet more posted signs. I also noticed at least 3 other trout that were several, several pounds and at least 24" of length. These trout did not easily spook and did not seem to mind me. Now, I am dying to find out whether this stream is "navigable" so that I can legally fish right through this posted section. Of course, however, the same people that is trying to keep people out clearly put all of these unnaturally large fish into this same deep stretch of the stream and, given that these fish haven't moved up or downstream, probably feed them. Anyways, is this legal?

^ Correct. My local chapter in Benton stocks entire Fishing Creek every week from early spring until July 1.

Their theory is that by keeping the local waters full of fish for longer instead of spreading many fish over a large area, it is more beneficial to everyone, especially the local economy.

^ It depends if the state has determined that stretch is a Class A stream (native trout/influences only). Some waters can be designated Class A through certain sections.

duckfoot wrote:
^ Correct. My local chapter in Benton stocks entire Fishing Creek every week from early spring until July 1.

Their theory is that by keeping the local waters full of fish for longer instead of spreading many fish over a large area, it is more beneficial to everyone, especially the local economy.

^ It depends if the state has determined that stretch is a Class A stream (native trout/influences only). Some waters can be designated Class A through certain sections.

Wait...so I am a little confused. This stream is designated as Class A for part of the stream and as Approved Stocked Waters in other parts. The posted signs and clearly large stocked fish are in the Class A section.

No one can stock a class a stream. However, if a person or a club owns the stream and it closed to outside fishing they can stock it. ie Spruce Creek.

Maurice wrote:
Cooperative Nurseries are prohibited from stocking Class A stream sections. They are not prohibited from stocking streams not on the approved trout water list though. But if they are Class A they cannot stock them.

It is my understanding that co-ops cannot stock anything other than ATW's. My local TU nursery inquired about raising fish to stock in a non-ATW stream that is not on the Class A or even the wild trout listing at all and they were told they cannot do that.

Kev

Parts of the Lackawanna below the ATW section are stocked by local groups for kids fishing tournaments. For a long time the PFBC worked the class A and Trophy Trout sections around the areas kids used. As far as I know, only 1 small section for kids along Mellow Park in Peckville in the trophy trout section can be stocked and below Greenridge st bridge in Scranton(not yet class A).

I think they have struck a reasonable balance between kids and wild trout. And they're wild trout, not native brookies. They're only there because of stocking years ago.

jifigz wrote:
]Wait...so I am a little confused. This stream is designated as Class A for part of the stream and as Approved Stocked Waters in other parts. The posted signs and clearly large stocked fish are in the Class A section.
Sounds to me like your fish migrated to that area, either from far away or from being stocked five feet off the section.

I'm just saying that the law can't do a thing about the free will of fishes.

There are class a sections that are stocked for fish tournaments.
All one must do is get a permit from the PFBC. Ex:
Wyomissing

There are others...

The problem with clubs is that they stock anywhere they please because the WCO's can't be everywhere while stocking is going on. Clubs are limited to stocking ATW and other streams determined by the WCO and AFM. But the clubs seldom follow the rules putting fish by everyones cabins without regard to whether or not a stream is a wild trout stream.
There is very little oversight.

Chaz wrote:
The problem with clubs is that they stock anywhere they please because the WCO's can't be everywhere while stocking is going on. Clubs are limited to stocking ATW and other streams determined by the WCO and AFM. But the clubs seldom follow the rules putting fish by everyones cabins without regard to whether or not a stream is a wild trout stream.

This statement is so far from the truth is completely false. See my post above Chaz.

The only lack of oversight is perhaps the law enforcements trust in the coops doing what they have agreed to do.

Again, if there is ANY proof of Coops working outside the rules identify these with the Cooperative Nursery Unit.

The Cooperative Nursery Unit of the F&BC is not the boogey man. It is over 100 donation funded clubs that stock over 1 million fish per year. That is 25% of the stocked trout planted in PA.

I would suggest that those who have a gripe with the program join a local coop and see what is going on behind the scenes. Just to satisfy your allegations.

It has been a while since I looked into this issue in the regs, but I believe:

1. Private stocking in Class A waters is not prohibited; and
2.. Co-op nursery groups are prohibited from stocking anywhere other than where permission has been given by the PFBC.

OK, I recant somewhat. Here is the thread where this topic was hashed out years ago. I had more time and cited regulations on the topic:

Previous Thread On Topic

I don't know of any state that does not require a permit to stock fish. Invasive species problems are a fact of life and states control what is stocked where. The permits give a chance to emphasize the rules so there is no confusion as the permit can clarify what is and is not being allowed.

I am a Trout in the Classroom (in NJ) coordinator and we make a strong point that the classes get stocking permits and that "bucket brigade" stocking can be a problem. Of course the state waives the permit fees and makes it easy. However, we are not allowed to stock hatchery brook trout in wild brook trout streams and we put our fish into state stocked streams to avoid any issues.

JeffK wrote:
I don't know of any state that does not require a permit to stock fish.

You mean any OTHER state, right?

I'd be interested to learn more about this. I'm up in Chaz's neck of the woods and was just talking to a fella at the bar the other night about the PFBC coming to their club and removing a dam that had been there some half a century or so that was a part of their yearly rodeo.

He then went on to tell me they stock thousands of brookies only in many of the surrounding streams in the area. Obviously I don't have all the details as I didn't chew his ear off for hours. I did ask him about joining the club though as I think it would be interesting and I've been wanting to help out and explore the many aspects of fishing, stocking, and or conservation in my local watershed. Be it private clubs or TU.

I have no vested interest or biased viewpoint about either entity but he did not speak too highly of TU. I suppose I could see good and bad from both sides of the issue. Really though I wouldn't say I'm knowledgeable enough about either side to be adamant in my opinion of one or the other.

JackM wrote:
It has been a while since I looked into this issue in the regs, but I believe:

1. Private stocking in Class A waters is not prohibited; and
2.. Co-op nursery groups are prohibited from stocking anywhere other than where permission has been given by the PFBC.

there are quite a few class A's that are stocked up in the poconos i think.

btw - re class B's - is there a list of those ? how do folks know if a stream is class B ?

Maurice wrote:
Chaz wrote:

This statement is so far from the truth is completely false. See my post above Chaz.

The only lack of oversight is perhaps the law enforcements trust in the coops doing what they have agreed to do.

Again, if there is ANY proof of Coops working outside the rules identify these with the Cooperative Nursery Unit.

The Cooperative Nursery Unit of the F&BC is not the boogey man. It is over 100 donation funded clubs that stock over 1 million fish per year. That is 25% of the stocked trout planted in PA.

I would suggest that those who have a gripe with the program join a local coop and see what is going on behind the scenes. Just to satisfy your allegations.

Maurice, how often are the WCO's present when your club stocks?
How do stocked bows get to the junction pool at Germania Branch and Kettle Creek when it miles away from any stocking point and that section hasn't been stocked for years? How do stockies get in Black Creek tributary to the Lehigh?
The answer is people put them there and it's usually the Coop Hatcheries. There is very little oversight when the the Perkiomen wild trout sections get stocked.
With all due respect Maurice you are wrong, clubs put fish everywhere and anywhere they want or are asked.

Back