Who's using a sling bag?

G

gibsygoldtop

I am looking to convert to a sling bag this season. I am currently using a chest pack. What are your thoughts on the slings?

I have narrowed it down to two (I think) being the Fishpond Summit Sling and the Orvis Passage.

Anyone have experience with either of these? Or any others that I should check out? Thanks!

I use a sling pack exclusively. I have an older Simms model. I like it, but I like the new Simms large sling pack better. I'll probably upgrade soon.

Check out the "Chest Pack" thread, by ryansheehan, in this forum. It had some good sling pack information in it.

I used a sling pack for many many many years. they are great. However, I now notice it starts to hurt my shoulder on that side. I have now switched to a leg/hip pack for when Im not wading too deep. Saves me a ton of pain.

I fished with a cheap one the last couple of years and upgraded to a fishpond a few weeks ago. I upgraded to a larger pack with more padding in the shoulder strap.

I've used Patagonia's atom sling for a few years now, I think it's great.

I really like my Vedavoo seam sling pack. I prefer a pack that goes over my non casting shoulder.

I have two that I've used. I used the Patagonia Atom for a couple years, and I like it for fishing small streams where I don't have to have too much gear--maybe one or two fly boxes, some tippet and some tools. It is lightweight and can really hug your body. Probably perfect for someone hiking up a brookie stream.

The other is the Simms from about 2015 or so, and it's not designed as ergonomically. It is, however, considerably larger and as a result is my sling of choice on a bigger river like the Delaware, where I need to have more options at hand.

They are both top-notch bags, and I'd recommend either.

Yeah, me too.

I got rid of a vest a long time ago. I tried a chest pack, but didn't like everything sitting up front. I've been using a sling pack for 5 or 6 yeaars now and won't trade it for any other type of pack or vest.

There's a lot of threads and posts on this subject. Here are a couple to read:

Sling 1

Sling 2

Sling 3

Thanks for all the input!

I use the smaller Orvis Safe Passage sling most of the time now. I am pretty minimalist, but it does the job. I also use a FishPond hip pack on little creeks where I don't have to wade deep (it is pretty water resistant, anyway, so it can take a dunk in a crossing). I haven't found a "guide size" pack that I would want to carry all day yet, but I may.

Just found this gem on http://www.maxcatchfishing.com/splash_waterproof_fly_fishing_sling_bag_multi-purpose_shoulder_fishing_pack_outdoor_backpack.html
The description is priceless.

sgrim wrote:
Just found this gem on http://www.maxcatchfishing.com/splash_waterproof_fly_fishing_sling_bag_multi-purpose_shoulder_fishing_pack_outdoor_backpack.html
The description is priceless.

Description of above pack:

The high-density material was adopted in a necessary part of shape retaining and anti-fouling
Japanese design concept, A tackle of a light salt game harvests systematically.
With the Easy Slide system that a bag fits quickly.
Fish grip holder. Treatment can take out quickly, and is also easy. With a draw cable
A main opening is the ta gage zipper and a resin handle.
The specification which tends often to open the interior at a light birthplace and see
A pin, with a loop on which a reel can put tool kinds on
With a holder in which a pliers and a knife can be stored
With a carabiner

Nice!!! I think this is the guy that writes all the assembly instructions for all the stuff we buy and have to figure out how to put together... :lol:

"...official Red Ryder carbine action, 200-shot, range model air rifle with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time...

What do you suppose they were going for when they wrote
"The specification which tends often to open the interior at a light birthplace and see..." ?

sgrim wrote:
What do you suppose they were going for when they wrote
"The specification which tends often to open the interior at a light birthplace and see..." ?

^ All my packs have that....I'd never buy one without it!!!

Orvis Guide Sling for several years. Holds all fishing equipment plus extras such as snacks/sandwich and packable rain jacket.

I own both large and small of the Orvis packs and they definitely do their job but my favorite sling by far is the Simms waypoints large. http://manmakesfire.com/best-fly-fishing-sling-packs/

Simms Waypoints Sling Pack Large
This sling packs for fly fishing image shows the Simms Waypoint sling pack, large version in green.
The Simms Waypoints Sling Pack includes a handy fold-down workbench.

We think the best overall Simms sling pack option is its Waypoints sling pack, which comes in two sizes. The large is 27 liters. You get the Simms fold-down workbench as well as a tippet tender and floatant holder, plus magnetic tool ports for easy access to pliers or forceps. The large has plenty of pocket space for all-day trips on the river, plus it has compression adjustment straps that let you suck up extra space when you don’t need it. These straps can also be used to secure a rain jacket or rod tube. Overall, the Waypoints Large is a versatile, well-built, can’t-go-wrong sling pack. Highly recommended.

I bought a(small in Army Green) Simms Waypoints Sling Pack last summer. At first I did not like it but with some experimentation with my tools and the content location I really like it now. It carries all I need as long as I don't go crazy and just carry the essentials. When on my back I hardly even notice it. The work station is nice. I even figured out a way to attach my net. I can recommend this pack. I never tried the large version but assume it would work just as well or better having a little more room for maybe a light raincoat.

Back